General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What to do with stock cats?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 02:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do with stock cats?

Okay so last summer I put on a cat back exhaust system on my ws6 that I love but I want it to be a bit louder I want to do something with the cats but since I live in Colorado I have to have the emissions tested every other year. That being said i'm not sure how to go about this. I was thinking of the high flow cat option but from what I have heard they aren't that great. I would prefer to cut the cat out all together but I would have to put it back in every other year for emissions and the check engine light would be on and what not so idk if its worth it. Just wondering what others have done in the same position and if its worth it or not, I do have stock headers on still so maybe if I put some nice headers and high flow cats I will get a better sound but anyway let me know what you think! Thanks in advance!
Old 03-27-2015, 02:54 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,518 Likes on 1,092 Posts

High flow cats won't be any louder, you'd want to go with an ORY/cat delete to get a significant sound increase without changing the muffler or internal engine components. Depending on which catback you have, sometimes the sound you get with an ORY isn't all that great (some sound like a kazoo on crack at certain rpms).

Custom tuning/O2 sims can take care of the SES light for OBD scan-only emissions testing, but if you have to pass an actual sniffer test then obviously you will need cats to do so.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Custom tuning/O2 sims can take care of the SES light for OBD scan-only emissions testing, but if you have to pass an actual sniffer test then obviously you will need cats to do so.

Yeah its a sniffer test it blows, it honestly sounds pretty damn good right now perhaps I am being a bit greedy and should just leave it haha
Old 03-27-2015, 07:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cut out = Done
Old 03-27-2015, 08:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by scotty2000ss
Cut out = Done
Yes but id have to put them back in every other year to pass emissions.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ineedals1
Yes but id have to put them back in every other year to pass emissions.
I see how the previous statement could be confusing. He did not mean cut out the cats, he meant install a cutout. A cutout is a pipe that can be opened or closed to bypass the muffler or the cats and muffler depending on placement. Here is a handy diagram.http://www.ratsport.com/Files/76817/...am_cut_out.jpg
Old 03-28-2015, 04:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry for the confusion. An exhaust cut out would be your best bet. You'll gain some HP and if you get the electric version you can open and close it at any time to dial the sound down.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:07 PM
Staging Lane

ohhh okay, hmmm thats a pretty good idea! Do you just by pass the cat with an additional pipe welded from the cut out back into the exhaust system after the cat? or does it just dump out of the cutout? also do you recommend any specific cut off valves?
Old 04-03-2015, 06:35 AM
Teching In

It just dumps out of the cutout, which makes it even louder since the sound echoes around under the car. Just look them up on eBay, I bought a cheap one 3 years ago and it still works great.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Darkside99
It just dumps out of the cutout, which makes it even louder since the sound echoes around under the car. Just look them up on eBay, I bought a cheap one 3 years ago and it still works great.
right on thanks!

Quick Reply: What to do with stock cats?