General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Another 5.0 vs 15 SS 1LE thread, in case there weren't enough!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another 5.0 vs 15 SS 1LE thread, in case there weren't enough!

Ok, a little history on me. My last GM was my 99 Trans Am 6 speed Dart heads, F14 cam, full bolt on car. Fast car, too much cam, should have listened to my buddies at Mayhem. Previous cars were 3 other 99 Z28 6 speeds- cam, headers, exhaust, gears, springs etc. Fast forward to Aug 2014. I bought a 2014 Mustang GT base model with the track package as the only option. I drove 6 hours to outside of Washington DC to get it as they were the only ones left. It has 255/40/19's, 3.73's, stock engine. I put on GT500 mufflers, welded the axle tubes (in case I decide to go back to drag racing), AFE dry filter, and a MGW awesome shifter. My stock one would NOT go into 4th at WOT. That was the most expensive shifter I've ever bought ($480), I installed it myself. No more shifting problems. I have a brand new set of Koni yellows and an adjustable panhard bar waiting to go on once I got up the funds for some springs, relocation brackets, and GT500 strut mounts.
So I got the itch to look at the new Camaro as I'm deep down a "GM" guy. The ol T56's were superior to anything I've had, LS1's and LT1's were great cammed engines. I wanted the 1LE package when I bought this Mustang last August, but they were at least $6000 more. So I drove a new SS 6 speed with 3.1x gears and it was obviously a dog at low rpms, but it really did drive great. I go tomorrow evening to drive the last 1LE in captivity near me, but it's a loaded 2SS car that I can't swing. I at least wanted to drive one to know if it's worth me going out of my way to buy one. I never drove the 5.0 before driving up to buy one. The cheapest one I've found is STILL $36k with a sticker of $41XXX.
I drove a new 15 Mustang GT with the performance package yesterday and was really impressed by how much nicer it was inside and how much better it felt over rough roads than my current one. Still like the looks of mine better. I can get one with just the performance pack on it for $32k brand new. It comes with the track apps, power seat, and several other upgrades over my car.
Sorry so long on the post, I'm just trying to figure out what to do while I can. The wife says no matter what, I need to stick with a muscle car as she knows me to well. The other car I'm considering is a 04 Z06. All of these cars run larger back wheels and tires, which is new to me. That's gonna suck buying tires more often.
I know very little about these new Camaros, but I assume they're similar when it comes to a cam swap and that attracts me to them. I don't care for the idea of a "ghost cam" tune in 5.0's. Suspension wise, I'll probably decide something after a test drive in that 1LE. I hate the idea of throwing springs and shocks on mine and it driving like ***. I like the idea of driving something that's already done and knowing right then if you like it or not. Other than having a 2005 ish interior, the other thing I don't care for on my Coyote is lack of bottom end power. I figured a 6.2 should have that covered with the right gears.
Thanks for any personal experience and opinions. Long time member here who still lurks from time to time.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Not sure exactly what your asking but the new Camaros are still LS motors, just with more cubes. So its generally the same as your old TA/Z28's as far as modifications go. They are a better overall car then the 4th gens but heavier. The C5 Z06's in my opinion are the best bang for the buck muscle car out there right now so that's another good option. As for the new 5.0's, im sure its not much different then your 2014, except for a few more hp so I don't see the point of considering that.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 261 Likes on 171 Posts

^^The 2015 Mustang is completely different from the 2014 Mustang.

Personally, I wouldn't even be considering an 04 Z06 while also looking at brand new Camaros and Mustangs. My advice would be to wait until the 2016 Camaros hit the lot with the new LT1 engine and see what they bring to the table.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

If you want a car that's very road course capable the 1LE is a no brainer. In a straight line the Mustang tends to be slightly quicker mod for mod. Both can go 11's with bolt ons/tune and a tire when set up properly and tuned well. A modded 5th gen is typically going to turn higher trap speeds mod for mod than a 4th gen as well, as bone stock the 6 speed 5th gens will typically put down trap speeds in the bolt on 4th gen territory. So I think the 5th gen is a better car in every aspect, despite the heavy weight which is really unfortunate. But as a Chevy guy deep down like you said, I think you should choose the 1LE. I am in love with the handling of the car, and the acceleration while being a lot slower than my cammed 4th gen, is still decent and I can't wait to wake it up with some mods. Taking a super sharp curve around a highway entry ramp pulling in EXCESS of 1g into an easy 100+mph highway entry is quite a bit of fun. The car just hugs the road so well. And if you liked the t56s, the TR6060 is a whole level above that... So all in all I vote go for a 1LE.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

1le,but thats an EZ decision for me since its my favorite car i want to buy.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:07 PM
TECH Addict

That's good to hear about the TR6060. I know the new Camaro is around the corner, but I also know the games our local GM dealers play with the pricing. I got 4700 or so off on a new Mustang GT, and about $5000 off a new SS. Yes the Mustang 6 speed is a Chinese sourced unit that doesn't have a great reputation. I don't beat on my cars anymore, so the only "abuse" they'll see is a few road course events a year (maybe) and a few dragstrip visits.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Redlinez
That's good to hear about the TR6060. I know the new Camaro is around the corner, but I also know the games our local GM dealers play with the pricing. I got 4700 or so off on a new Mustang GT, and about $5000 off a new SS. Yes the Mustang 6 speed is a Chinese sourced unit that doesn't have a great reputation. I don't beat on my cars anymore, so the only "abuse" they'll see is a few road course events a year (maybe) and a few dragstrip visits.
I got my '15 1LE at nearly 11k below the $46k sticker price... Not that deals like that are common or easy to make, but it shows the need to get rid of these cars is slowly growing as the 6th gen approaches and prices and incentives will only get better. Meanwhile when the 2016s come out there will likely be significant mark up... Not to mention that usually the first year of a new model of vehicle is plagued with problems (C7 Corvette for example, lots of kinks still not worked out with that one). Especially with all the electronics in cars nowadays it's almost like when a new smart phone or device comes out. Theres always issues at first. I may consider a 6th gen around the 2018 model year, but for the time being I still feel that a '14 or '15 5th gen is the way to go. Especially if it's a 1LE, ZL1, or Z28.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MuhThugga
^^The 2015 Mustang is completely different from the 2014 Mustang.
Id say "completely" is a bit excessive, The new car has irs and new styling...same motor w/ a few more ponies.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by badformulaLS1
I got my '15 1LE at nearly 11k below the $46k sticker price... Not that deals like that are common or easy to make, but it shows the need to get rid of these cars is slowly growing as the 6th gen approaches and prices and incentives will only get better. Meanwhile when the 2016s come out there will likely be significant mark up... Not to mention that usually the first year of a new model of vehicle is plagued with problems (C7 Corvette for example, lots of kinks still not worked out with that one). Especially with all the electronics in cars nowadays it's almost like when a new smart phone or device comes out. Theres always issues at first. I may consider a 6th gen around the 2018 model year, but for the time being I still feel that a '14 or '15 5th gen is the way to go. Especially if it's a 1LE, ZL1, or Z28.
was your 1LE at the dealer when you got it?
Old 07-13-2015, 03:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
was your 1LE at the dealer when you got it?
Yes it was
Old 07-13-2015, 04:44 PM
TECH Addict

The new Mustang only shares the engine and transmission with my 14. It's more than just my car with an IRS, trust me.
Almost $11k off. Wow. I need to figure out how to pull that off. I found a red one about 3 hours away with the RS package, dual mode exhaust, and some brake cooling pack (LPO $495) that stickers for $41k. I'd be thrilled to get $8-9k off!!
Old 07-13-2015, 04:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Red face

yea,my problem is i want my 1LE a certain way and id have to order it.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:15 AM
TECH Addict

So what are the "weak" points or achilles heel of the 15 Camaros? On my 99 TA and Z28, it was a weak 2nd gear shift fork, **** poor 7.5" rear end, and weak bottom end rods/bolts. In my current Mustang, it's probably the Chinese manual tranny, and for me the fact that forced induction is the only sensible way to make real power. Still looks like you can pick up quite a bit from heads/cam/bolt ons with the Camaro. I don't do spray, so that's not an option for me.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

The 1LE trans ratios vs the standard SS looks to have a taller first through third gears, which would be great at the track. And it's rated to 551 ft lbs where the standard SS TR6060 is 420.

Last edited by Redlinez; 07-14-2015 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
Id say "completely" is a bit excessive, The new car has irs and new styling...same motor w/ a few more ponies.
It's a lot more than that.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

So what are the "weak" points or achilles heel of the 15 Camaros? On my 99 TA and Z28, it was a weak 2nd gear shift fork, **** poor 7.5" rear end, and weak bottom end rods/bolts. In my current Mustang, it's probably the Chinese manual tranny, and for me the fact that forced induction is the only sensible way to make real power. Still looks like you can pick up quite a bit from heads/cam/bolt ons with the Camaro. I don't do spray, so that's not an option for me.

id say the clutch and half shafts would be a concern on 5th gens depending on power and if you race a lot.

Originally Posted by MuhThugga
It's a lot more than that.

lol,why is this even being argued? a 2015 mustang is different from a 2014.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol,why is this even being argued? a 2015 mustang is different from a 2014.
No idea.

One guy said he didn't think it was much different from the 2014, and another guy said it is the same car with an IRS. I wasn't getting into it other than stating that they are completely different cars. I'm leaving it up to them to research the differences.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:57 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds similar to the GTO. My Mustang isn't known for a great clutch/slave/transmission. There again, hardly any of them stand up to the mods and extra power.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:40 PM
TECH Addict

Uh oh. 7-10K miles on 1LE tires. That is quite painful news. Nobody is running a square set up anymore.....even the regular Camaro SS and Mustang perf pack.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:32 PM
TECH Resident

id say the clutch and half shafts would be a concern on 5th gens depending on power and if you race a lot.
The clutch isn't really weak but it is heavy as ****. A lighter clutch and flywheel set up would be a nice improvement. But from the durability stand point the stock clutch can take some abuse. Half shafts would be a weak point, same as pretty much any IRS car.
Uh oh. 7-10K miles on 1LE tires. That is quite painful news. Nobody is running a square set up anymore.....even the regular Camaro SS and Mustang perf pack.
Indeed painful, and will also leave you grinning ear to ear when feel how well they grip the road. Gota pay to play. I'm sure the Mustangs 255s are a lot cheaper and last longer but they hinder the cars performance ability.

Quick Reply: Another 5.0 vs 15 SS 1LE thread, in case there weren't enough!