General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

New car coming - what should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 02:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New car coming - what should I do?

Hi All,

I just purchased an 02 Firehawk with 47k miles. It should arrive late Monday (waiting is killing me!) and I should be off work on Tuesday.

Is there anything I do before driving the car? I mean other than check the basics like fluids? The prior owner said he changed all fluids but I wasn't sure if you guys had a check list of things to do in such a case.

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2015, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

If you have a mechanic you trust I would take it there first thing. It's best to know what you have on your hands before you drive it like crazy. I bought a 96 Z28 with 50,000 miles and at first it was immaculate but shortly after the AC compressed went out, front shocks gave out, and the battery died on me. Good luck with your purchase and take some pictures for us.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by palutZ28
If you have a mechanic you trust I would take it there first thing. It's best to know what you have on your hands before you drive it like crazy. I bought a 96 Z28 with 50,000 miles and at first it was immaculate but shortly after the AC compressed went out, front shocks gave out, and the battery died on me. Good luck with your purchase and take some pictures for us.
Sounds like a good idea. I'll have to schedule something shortly after it arrives.

I will defin post some pics when it gets here.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

visually inspect everything then take it for drive to make sure everything feel ok.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 351 Likes on 243 Posts

Are you mechanically inclined at all or have space to work on it? If so I would just pull a couple plugs and look at them, if it's a m6 change the clutch fluid, a4 do a pan drop and filter change. Wouldn't be a bad idea to change the differential fluid eventually either.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:31 PM
Teching In

A visual inspection will defin happen. I'll check the belt and hoses as I think they may be the original ones.

98CayenneT/A - yes I am although my experience is mostly with older muscle cars but a lot of it still applies. Just trying to get up to speed with an fbody/LS1.

Good call on the plugs. And it's an A4. Seller said he was changing all fluids but I will have to check myself.

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2015, 04:50 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,727 Likes on 1,239 Posts

I wouldn't pay a mechanic to check it over at this point, that would only make sense before you buy it, then you can use that information for negotiation purposes or to simply rule the car out. It's yours now either way, so might as well save that money for any repairs that actually present themselves as being needed. If you are at all experienced with automotive and mechanical basics (sounds like you are based on the above posts), then you can do a simple cursory inspection yourself and skip the mechanic's fee. This is all that's needed before the first drive, and then depending on how that drive goes you can decide if there are problem areas that require more comprehensive evaluation by either yourself or a professional.

Best bet would be to report back here if you find issues. Many of us are highly experienced with these cars and can offer help/ideas in terms of diagnostics or common solutions to problems you might encounter.

Congratulations on the new car and have fun with it!
Old 08-07-2015, 04:58 PM
Teching In

The seller did disclose a few things so I know a few needs but that's why I got a good deal on it.

- front driver side corner of the hood has some paint loss
- both window motors need replacing but it comes with one
- rims are pitted

Other than that it's really nice.

I plan on doing the initial inspection and fixing the windows and then working on the window motors (I found articles here to help), painting the hood and possibly re-chroming the rims if reasonable.

Thanks. I will be sure to post pics when it gets here (hopefully Monday night).
Old 08-07-2015, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

There are some posts in the last month or so on important things to check/verify. You can find those in the "general maintenance" or "New LS1 owner" forums. Firehawks seem to often come with the Auburn differentials. So if the last owner just changed that fluid hopefully it was with conventional oil + LSD additive...or else excess noise could result. The power steering cooler on these cars is problematic. So I'd plan to take that out or at least neutralize it in the very near future (see sticky thread in "gen'l maint."). Whatever is currently being used for antifreeze, I'd stick with it (orange DexCool or the regular green stuff). Fuel filters are often overlooked too. The roof sail panel paint on these cars will bubble/blister the longer they sit out in hot sun. Something to be aware of and manage/avoid. The plastic upper door panels develop a stress crack over time that will eventually travel over the entire panel. There are threads on how to stop it. If yours doesn't have them yet at 47K miles, you're beating the odds.

Last edited by Firebrian; 08-07-2015 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Good reminder about the fuel filter^^ That's an easy one to forget about.
I'll add one more thing to check and it could be a lifesaver. The age of the tires. Look for the date code on each tire. I'm sure you want to take the Firehawk on some 'spirited' drives so it must be done on newer quality rubber. If the tires are 6 years old or worse, dump them and make the effort to get a quality set like Goodyears or similar upper end name brand. Have fun!!
Old 08-09-2015, 09:36 AM
Teching In

Will do. Thanks for all the input!
Old 08-11-2015, 06:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Give it a good visual, and if you driven enough of these cars you can tell if the motors seen better days immediately. Sounds like a nice low mile car, good luck.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by meckeard
Will do. Thanks for all the input!
Meckeard, congrats on your new pick up. I also saw you were interested in that red 2002 FH with 21K miles in Connecticut (Ebay at end of July). I'm curious if you actually went to see that car or decided against it for any particular reason. Always interested in what's in the thought process of today's buyers. Thanks.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:55 AM
Teching In

Firebrian - thanks. Car won't get here soon enough.

Yeah I recall that FH and wanted it. It looked sharp and was a good deal. My issue was that I couldn't get my financing in order before the end of the auction as I found it too close to the end. No other reason. Did you buy it?
Old 08-11-2015, 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by meckeard
Firebrian - thanks. Car won't get here soon enough.

Yeah I recall that FH and wanted it. It looked sharp and was a good deal. My issue was that I couldn't get my financing in order before the end of the auction as I found it too close to the end. No other reason. Did you buy it?
No, but I wish I did. It was only an hour from me. I was just curious if someone got a look at it. Best price I've seen in 3 years on a what was apparently a decent looking, low mileage Firehawk.

Last edited by Firebrian; 08-11-2015 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:03 PM
11 Second Club

Check the fluids and tire pressure. Then burnout time!

Quick Reply: New car coming - what should I do?