General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

4th gen for drifting? Some tips needed here!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 03:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4th gen for drifting? Some tips needed here!

Hey guys, my car is a '99 Camaro LS1/T56 and i like drifting and love LS cars
I already visited two drift events but found out early that some more steering angle would be good. Also i noticed my rear brakes loose on left corners(perfect for roundabouts) waaay better than right corners. From what i know there is a Auborn differential swapped in... it does work good but there is some more stress and power needed when i want it to get it in a drift on right corners.
Suspension: Eibach sportlines, konis, front shock tower brace and a adjustable panhardbar.

I live in Europe and here most "Drift events" are on wet roads, so it doesnt take too much stress on tires and drivetrain. I am on magnesium Corvette C5 wheels (245/275) and just got some 245 tires for the rear to swap on for drift events.

Anyone know how i could get a better steering angle on my car? I also got a BMW E46 touring as one of my dailys and their steering angle is crazy compared to the Camaro.
I have read somewhere that anyone put a BMW rack in their f-body but not sure how much work this would require. Maybe any other tipps to get some more angle and still keep it a street car? I want to keep driving it on the Street and just want to have some fun on a race track drifting it.

So i would be very happy for any help of you guys.

Some pics of my ride

Old 09-20-2015, 04:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Welcome!
Ditch the sportlines ASAP, they are amoung the worst springs available for our cars. Not enough useful suspension travel, and not enough rate for the drop they give. Look into springs with custom rates for drifting.
As for the drift build and more steering angle, check the road race section, there are a few drift threads in there:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/road-raci...t-missile.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/road-raci...ift-build.html
Old 09-23-2015, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Hey, thanks for the Welcome! Well i did not know that eibachs are the worst springs for our cars... lol. I even got the car with these springs installed... had to swap back in stock springs and hated it. When i swapped the eibachs back in i got some new shocks too so it rode pretty nice again.

I guess i really should try some new springs then? I never drove in another f-body with other springs other than stock... here in europe about 95% of people that put aftermarked springs on their car are eibachs.
Thanks for the drift thread links btw.!
Old 09-23-2015, 05:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by michi
Hey, thanks for the Welcome! Well i did not know that eibachs are the worst springs for our cars... lol. I even got the car with these springs installed... had to swap back in stock springs and hated it. When i swapped the eibachs back in i got some new shocks too so it rode pretty nice again.

I guess i really should try some new springs then? I never drove in another f-body with other springs other than stock... here in europe about 95% of people that put aftermarked springs on their car are eibachs.
Thanks for the drift thread links btw.!
Not eibach the brand, but the sportlines springs they make for our cars. Eibach makes a prokit for our cars that isn't too bad, but there are still MUCH better springs out there for handling, like strano springs for example.
Remember this, DO NOT do things to your Camaro because other people have done similar things to their non-fbody cars. Just because it works on other cars does not mean it will work on fbodies. Remember these are a three link rear solid axle car with coilovers up front, so they are nothing like other drift cars you are seeing that have independent rear suspension, struts and 50/50 weight balance.
Springs rates, swaybars sizes and tire sizes will be way different on our cars than other cars like stated above.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:29 AM
Teching In

Good to see some F-body drifting action!

I had a lot of trouble with my auburn style LSD only wanting to spin one wheel so I welded the spider gears in my GTO. Will be getting a spool soon when I change the gear ratio, but the welded does the same thing with a bit more weight.

Cut and shortened knuckles will help get you more steering angle. Mine are cut and I drive the car on the street. You just have to make sure, obviously, if you cut the knuckles that the new weld is strong. Check often for fatigue.

Those other builds are a wealth of info for what you are trying to do. You've got the power, so really you just need to focus on the suspension setup.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Not eibach the brand, but the sportlines springs they make for our cars. Eibach makes a prokit for our cars that isn't too bad, but there are still MUCH better springs out there for handling, like strano springs for example.
Remember this, DO NOT do things to your Camaro because other people have done similar things to their non-fbody cars. Just because it works on other cars does not mean it will work on fbodies. Remember these are a three link rear solid axle car with coilovers up front, so they are nothing like other drift cars you are seeing that have independent rear suspension, struts and 50/50 weight balance.
Springs rates, swaybars sizes and tire sizes will be way different on our cars than other cars like stated above.
Sorry for the late reply, i forgot to check the forum out haha
Well i have to say that the springs were already installed when i got the car, i just swappd out the shocks/struts so i have no comparison to other suspension on f-bodies.
I really like the stance with these springs... only bad thing is that i almost got no ground clearance since the headers install, lol!
May have to look in other springs like strano you mentioned. Right now i am not sure what im going to do with the car. Keep it or swap in some goodies for road course and drifting for sell it and build up a 3rd gen.

Originally Posted by chixwithtrix
Good to see some F-body drifting action!

I had a lot of trouble with my auburn style LSD only wanting to spin one wheel so I welded the spider gears in my GTO. Will be getting a spool soon when I change the gear ratio, but the welded does the same thing with a bit more weight.

Cut and shortened knuckles will help get you more steering angle. Mine are cut and I drive the car on the street. You just have to make sure, obviously, if you cut the knuckles that the new weld is strong. Check often for fatigue.

Those other builds are a wealth of info for what you are trying to do. You've got the power, so really you just need to focus on the suspension setup.
Actually what wonders me is why my car goes super easy sideways in roundabouts, so left turns are awesome but at right corners it only spins both tires somthimes which annoys me.
I thought about to double check my panhardbar setting, do a oilchange on the diff and inspect it while the cover is off. Does the Auborn diff likes to have a additiv?
If i decide to keep drifting it i would like to enter some more drifting events next year.
I have seen that cut and weld knuckles but i am a bit afraid of it may have to try this out or do something else over the winter.

Quick Reply: 4th gen for drifting? Some tips needed here!