General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Back fire/popping

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 06:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back fire/popping

Hello all, haven't posted in a while. My car has always popped a little through the exhaust but its been doing its very badly lately. I was on my way to a car show last weekend and passed someone. I got around the person and was slowing back down and the car backfired. Horribly. I got home from the car show and parked it in the garage and let it idle and then slowly revved it up, once it got around 1600ish rpms it started popping/backfiring/miss firing horribly. Any ideas as to what it is? Or what it could be? Bad knock sensor? Or bad coils/wires?
Old 09-23-2015, 06:42 PM
TECH Resident

There are a million things that could cause a misfire.... And you have provided little to no info about your car. First scan for codes and see if that can point you in the right direction. If theres no codes then start with plugs and wires, then check coils and O2 sensors. Those are pretty common, but theres tons of other things that could cause it as well.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by badformulaLS1
There are a million things that could cause a misfire.... And you have provided little to no info about your car. First scan for codes and see if that can point you in the right direction. If theres no codes then start with plugs and wires, then check coils and O2 sensors. Those are pretty common, but theres tons of other things that could cause it as well.
Just scanned it for codes. Only
Picked one up for catalyst system below threshold or something like that. I was wondering about plugs/wires/coils.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I've been fighting a similar condition since late June, I have a thread around here somewhere. Replaced all the spark plugs today and it seems better... time will tell. One of the old plugs seems to have been damaged due to over tightening.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MajeSStic_
Just scanned it for codes. Only
Picked one up for catalyst system below threshold or something like that. I was wondering about plugs/wires/coils.
A catalytic converter problem can cause the car to run rough.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:16 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by badformulaLS1
A catalytic converter problem can cause the car to run rough.
Alrighty. Im gonna do some more inspecting and see what i can find out.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:19 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JimMueller
I've been fighting a similar condition since late June, I have a thread around here somewhere. Replaced all the spark plugs today and it seems better... time will tell. One of the old plugs seems to have been damaged due to over tightening.
Yeah, mine has always popped a little, but seems to have gotten worse sine ive owned it. It will even pop in 6th gear at 1400 rpm. Quite annoying

Quick Reply: Back fire/popping