General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

5th Gen question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 09:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5th Gen question.

Hi guys,

I sold my 4th gen, as I've set my sights on a 5th gen. I know 4th gens had issues such as; weak 10 bolt axle, sail panel paint, passenger electric window wiring and the stock PCV problems.

Are there any issues with the 5th gens? I ask this, as I'm in the UK which makes it rather difficult to get things fixed if they go wrong.

Any insight would be very helpful and most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

You should probably try the 5th gen section.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:09 PM
Teching In

I looked there before I posted this thread, there isn't a General section in there, they're all subject specific.

I thought that this, the General LSX Automobile Discussion, sounded the perfect place.

Any Moderator, please feel free to move thread to a more suitable place.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Love mine and its problem free.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by transamtom
Love mine and its problem free.
That's great to hear and makes me want one even more.

Thanks for PM I'll check that out.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:33 PM
TECH Resident

They have some little quirks like any car but nothing major that pops into my head. The IRS isn't strong, but it's stronger than the 10 bolt was in the 4th gens. But yeah mine has been problem free. Be warned that it's a VERY VERY VERY different feeling car than the 4th gen. Took me some time to get used to and start to like it. It's very refined in comparison and doesn't have the raw un-tame feel that the 4th gen has. Pros and cons to both. But I haven't had any mechanical issues or any other issue with mine so far. It's still in it's infancy though at 4500 miles so I don't want to speak too soon.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

what are your plans for it? but they are good cars overall.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
what are your plans for it? but they are good cars overall.
I'm not sure if you meant me, but here goes.

I'd probably upgrade the suspension and chassis components first, so it's more suited to UK roads. A nice set of stainless headers with a stainless exhaust system and high flow cats and maybe a cut-out for the occasional loud drive-by
Old 09-15-2015, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Camaro SS UK
I'm not sure if you meant me, but here goes.

I'd probably upgrade the suspension and chassis components first, so it's more suited to UK roads. A nice set of stainless headers with a stainless exhaust system and high flow cats and maybe a cut-out for the occasional loud drive-by
if thats all you have planned with regular maintenance you should be fine.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

Keep in mind these cars aren't as old as 4th gens... Things like the sail panel paint bubbling, window motors, ect. probably weren't common knowledge or big issues in the first few years... The gen 5 isn't as old so I'd guess that there are some issues that will eventually arise. But also keep in mind the build quality of the car has also improved. So who knows...
Old 09-15-2015, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

theyve been around long enough and while i havent owned one ive driven many and i read up on them a lot since ive wanted a 5th gen forever lol.

i mean 4th gens right away were known for leaky pinions,weak rears,warping rotors ect. leather was crap on 4th gens too. this i know.

i havent read much about common problems with 5th gens so imo thats a good thing.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

My best friend has a 2013 RS Camaro with about 20,000 miles and the only problem was his touch screen radio blacked out several months ago. He took it to the dealer and they fixed it under warranty. With that exception, he has had no problems mechanically with the car.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:56 PM
Teching In

These are all very confidence inspiring answers, I'm really looking forward to getting something different from the usual boring euro boxes on our roads.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They have a thyroid condition and are born type II. The L99s have asthma.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Originally Posted by CoolAid
a shot of dyno tune can get l99s breathing easy.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The 5th Gen is a radical improvement over the 4th Gen as far as quality goes. People can argue the performance differences all day - both are amazing. But every time someone on here talks about daily driving a vehicle, the GTO is brought up due to how comfortable it is. The 5th Gen is like a good combination between the 4th Gen and the GTO. The only issues I've heard about with the 5th Gen are the weight and the rear visibility. Mechanically, they are much better built than the 4th Gen in every measurable way.

For the record, I still own a 4th Gen and love it. But I can concede the 5th Gen is just a better car.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:37 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

As a two-time owner of brand new 4th gens (plus two used examples), I can say they were solid performance vehicles for their class and MSRP. They were not designed with any priority for luxury-level comfort or family transportation duties....nor should they have been IMO. When maintained well they are very reliable.

I'm not really sure how anyone can directly compare a 4th gen to a 5th gen, they are about a decade apart in final 4th gen configuration and 17 years apart in initial design. It would be like comparing an early 4th gen Camaro to a 2nd gen model - basically pointless since standards change respective to the era.

Every platform has strengths and weaknesses respective to its peers; however 4th and 5th gens are not peers. An older car is generally more do-it-yourself friendly and less complicated to modify or service. Those factors may be neutral or advantageous depending on individual preference and goals/purpose. The only area where 4th gen is objectively superior is when considering a dedicated drag car (stock solid axle configuration and lighter starting weight are undeniable advantages in this category.) 5th gen is a newer car with many still under warranty, and offers more advanced tech/designs that many average buyers desire. Beyond those aforementioned factors, "the better car" becomes a pretty subjective matter.

Originally Posted by CoolAid
LOL. That was pretty funny.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen question.