General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 10:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting issue

Have an 02 WS6 that occasionally won't start. It's not a BCM or VATS issue, it's a relay issue. I initially replaced the starter solenoid and it still would not start. then come back a few hours later and it would start fine. Finally one day it wouldn't start and a little bulb popped up above my head and I went and had my son hold the ignition forward while I just tapped the ignition and starter relays. Voila! It started. I replaced them both but the issue remains even with the new relays. I've checked the connections and everything appears fine. Yesterday it did it and I just pressed down on both relays to ensure a good connection and still wouldn't start. Finally rapped them with my tire gauge and it started. Any ideas?
Old 11-05-2015, 07:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Most likely its the quality of the relays. I have the same issue with my fog light relay. I pulled it apart and inspected the contacts, sure enough this have a very light coating of corrosion. I clean then off and it works for a few months. Problem is the relays are not sealed and the contacts themselves are most likely poorly made. Good silver contacts don't corrode easily.

Another fact is the contacts should be self cleaning, the action of the contacts making and breaking should clear keep the contacts clean. But when they are not sized right the contact is too big and the electrical current isn't enough to clean the contact as it makes and breaks. What brand did you buy? Also did you check the wiring and connectors the relays plug into? Might be loose contacts or poor conntions where the wire attaches etc.

Quick Reply: Starting issue