General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Did I warp my cylinder head?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 10:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I warp my cylinder head?

Hey guys, I've been a long time Corvette forum member and have had my C5 for a while but the C5 forum is slowly dying, and I desperately need some advice from someone who knows these motors. I have a 02 C5 Coupe with 241 heads.

A few years ago I bought some non USA brand headers that were well reviewed. Well unfortunately these headers fit terribly and burned through my AC low pressure pipe as well as pushed so much heat into my engine bay that it made me nervous.

I then chose to wrap the headers to reduce underhood temps but the extra heat in the now store in the headers themselves caused an exhaust leak. At the time I believed it was the header flange warping but I'm worried it may have actually warped the cylinder head.

After giving up on the headers I wanted to return to stock so I put the stock manifolds back on only to find a massive exhaust leak on both sides. Its coming right between Cylinder #2/3 and 6/7. I pulled everything sanded down the manifolds and put new gaskets in only to find I still have a massive exhaust leak.
  • Is it possible I warped the cylinder head?
  • Is it safe to assume the head gasket wouldn't be blowing hot air out and it is in fact an exhaust leak?
  • What are my options on sealing this up without having to pull the heads?

Thanks for your help!
Old 12-02-2015, 11:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Sanded down the manifold? Did you just use sand paper by hand or did you actually plane them? A good straight edge will tell you if the either the manifold or the head are warped. Most people don't have the proper equipment at home to properly fix a warped manifold they take it to a machine shop.
What gasket did you use?
Old 12-04-2015, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 249 Likes on 167 Posts

How are you torquing down the manifolds and what gaskets are you using?

Quick Reply: Did I warp my cylinder head?