General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Best Way to Check a Used Engine For Condition

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 11:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Way to Check a Used Engine For Condition

What does everyone do to check and see if a used motor you have is any good? I have a used LS1 I got in another deal, and I want to swap it into another vehicle but don't want to put it in just to find out it has a spun rod bearing or something. I can't think of anyway to check without tearing it apart, and at that point you might as well rebuild it (not something I want to get into if I don't have too; just want to get the car running).

My thought is I should just try to start in on a stand and see if it runs okay. I have a wiring harness and a PCM but its my understanding they won't run the engine standalone without the security stuff removed. What are your thoughts? Thanks
Old 12-02-2015, 03:30 PM
Launching!

Compression and /or leakdown tests will tell you a lot with out having to take it apart
Old 12-02-2015, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

That's a good idea. Won't really tell me anything in terms of bearing condition though right?
Old 12-03-2015, 12:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by lsfanatic
That's a good idea. Won't really tell me anything in terms of bearing condition though right?
Bad bearings almost always mean low oil pressure. You could hook up the starter and pull the plugs and hook up a mechanical oil pressure gauge and spin it over and see how it build oil pressure. Leak down test will tell you everything you need to know as far as ring/valve sealing condition.
If it still has the oil filter on it you could cut it open and look for bearing debris.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Bad bearings almost always mean low oil pressure. You could hook up the starter and pull the plugs and hook up a mechanical oil pressure gauge and spin it over and see how it build oil pressure. Leak down test will tell you everything you need to know as far as ring/valve sealing condition.
If it still has the oil filter on it you could cut it open and look for bearing debris.
That is a good point. No oil filter unfortunately. So between checking oil pressure build and leak down that pretty much covers the bases for what you can do without firing it off?
Old 12-03-2015, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Pull the oil pan and look around, if bearings are worn you will see signs of copper laying around and other shinny particles. You can also look for discolored bearing caps etc and move the rods a bit. You can feel worn loose ones. Also you can see the thrust bearing surface and the cam and cam bearings. Get a look at the cylinder walls without pulling off the heads too.

Last edited by RockinWs6; 12-03-2015 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 249 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by lsfanatic
I can't think of anyway to check without tearing it apart, and at that point you might as well rebuild it
Not really.

You can easily pull a few main and rod caps, inspect, and torque back down. The motor is already out and on a stand. Flip that bitch over, pull the oil pan, and take a look.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Pull the oil pan and look around, if bearings are worn you will see signs of copper laying around and other shinny particles. You can also look for discolored bearing caps etc and move the rods a bit. You can feel worn loose ones. Also you can see the thrust bearing surface and the cam and cam bearings. Get a look at the cylinder walls without pulling off the heads too.
That is a good point, I forgot the windage tray is not bolted under the main bolts.

Most of the motor work I have done in the past has been Northstar stuff, and with the split block and the windage tray under the main bolts you can't check anything without pulling the bottom end apart completely.
Originally Posted by MuhThugga
Not really.

You can easily pull a few main and rod caps, inspect, and torque back down. The motor is already out and on a stand. Flip that bitch over, pull the oil pan, and take a look.
I have always been told you can't reuse rod bearings?

Though I did think about changing out the rod bolts so maybe I should do that anyway.

Quick Reply: Best Way to Check a Used Engine For Condition