General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Correct gray color for headliner & sun shades, 14B, 14I

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 11:45 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Correct gray color for headliner & sun shades, 14B, 14I

Have trouble finding what the correct color is for these parts. I believe when I took the headliner off before I threw it away due to server water damage it was a lighter shade of grey. I never had ttop sun shades when I bought the car and I'm assuming they should be the same color as the headliner?

I ran the RPO codes on camaro source and it doesn't specify what the correct colors are for a 98 Z28 camaro. I put the decoded below, confused as hell honestly.

More about the car, cloth seats lighter shade of gray with the darker grey center. sun visors are light grey.

14B TRIM COMBINATION CLOTH, GRAY (B) (97).
14B TRIM COMBINATION CLOTH, LT GRAY (B) (96)
14B TRIM COMBINATION CLOTH, VERY DK GRAY (B) (97)
14I INTERIOR TRIM DK GRAY (I) (01)
14I INTERIOR TRIM GRAY
14I INTERIOR TRIM HUSKY GRAY (I) (FRONTERA 98)
14I INTERIOR TRIM LT GRAY (I)
14I INTERIOR TRIM VERY DK GRAY (I) (97)
14B TRIM COMBINATION, CLOTH, LT GRAY (B) (92)
14I INTERIOR TRIM, LT GRAY (I) (92)
14B TRIM COMBINATION, CLOTH, LT GRAY (B) (92)
14I INTERIOR TRIM, LT GRAY (I) (92)
Attached Thumbnails Correct gray color for headliner & sun shades, 14B, 14I-img_0753.jpg  
Old 02-17-2016, 12:47 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,727 Likes on 1,239 Posts

For 1998, the name of this color is simply "Dark Gray". 14B & 14I are the correct codes for this. RPOs are sometimes model year dependent, so the same code might not mean exactly the same thing for two different models years.

Yes, the sun visors, headliner and t-top sun shades should all be the same color.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:59 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
For 1998, the name of this color is simply "Dark Gray". 14B & 14I are the correct codes for this. RPOs are sometimes model year dependent, so the same code might not mean exactly the same thing for two different models years.

Yes, the sun visors, headliner and t-top sun shades should all be the same color.
Thanks for your help RPM WS6. If it's so post to be dark gray then thats the replacement color I will buy for those 3 pieces, just strange the sun visors and headliner are a lighter gray on my car. The only thing I can think of is the interior is 18 years old now and the sun has just faded the fabric lighter. Even some of my interior panels are a lighter gray and some are darker. The sun probably faded them as well for all those years before I tinted it (I'm 3rd owner).
Old 02-17-2016, 11:30 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,727 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by TX98Z28
Thanks for your help RPM WS6. If it's so post to be dark gray then thats the replacement color I will buy for those 3 pieces, just strange the sun visors and headliner are a lighter gray on my car. The only thing I can think of is the interior is 18 years old now and the sun has just faded the fabric lighter. Even some of my interior panels are a lighter gray and some are darker. The sun probably faded them as well for all those years before I tinted it (I'm 3rd owner).
Some interior pieces were darker than others, some even black (such as switches and *****, etc.), and those darker pieces were the same color on the neutral/tan colored interior cars as well (such as the center console.) Kick panels, rear interior panels, and some areas of fabric appear to be a lighter gray than what one would expect for a color called "Dark Gray". That's just how these cars were, even when new (I bought my '99 brand new, also a "Dark Gray" interior car, and it looked that way from day one.)

If you're looking at aftermarket fabrics for the purpose of carpet, headliner material, seat covers, etc., then dark gray may not be the proper color as aftermarket suppliers might define the color differently (such as medium dark gray, dove gray, etc., I've seen several different descriptions from aftermarket carpet suppliers for example.) But if you're looking for new/used GM parts, then the proper match will be from another '97-'99 Camaro with RPOs 14B/14I "Dark Gray".

Hope that helps clear things up a bit.

Quick Reply: Correct gray color for headliner & sun shades, 14B, 14I