General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

1998 TA Running extremely rough, help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 07:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 TA Running extremely rough, help!

Thanks for checking my thread, I'll list sequence of events here in a second.

1998 Firebird Trans Am - A4 129k miles - 160 thermostat , BBK Long Tubes, no other mods.

About a month ago I was headed to work and had to make a stop, not even five minutes between turning the car off and trying to start it back up wouldn't start. I couldn't hear the fuel pump prime, so thought it was the pump.

Replaced the pump, no luck. A friend helped trace the problem, wire that controls power going to the fuel pump melted inside the connector by the fuel tank. The other wires and the connector itself is fine.

Replaced the wire, car starts up now but has a horrible miss, won't go over say 20 mph and just gets into second gear. Any type of acceleration, the car extremely hesitates and wants to die, but the moment you let off it picks back up to idle but the miss is more prevalent after attempted acceleration.

I have replaced the Spark plugs and wires, fuel filter, front o2 sensors, cleaned IAC, cleaned MAF, and flashed the ECU back to stock (Hypertech unit, just lowered thermostat temp basically, no actual tune.)

I am at a loss, it isn't throwing any codes other than p0420, deleted AIR system and no cats on exhaust.

I do not have a fuel pressure gauge, but it is running extremely rich.

If it helps I could post a video of the car idling or something.

Any help would be appreciated, different areas to look at, things to take into consideration, thanks.

Quick Reply: 1998 TA Running extremely rough, help!