General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

CAI and big ass puddles

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 07:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAI and big *** puddles

So yesterday I was forced to drive through some pretty damn big puddles from a storm. The check engine light came on but the car still ran, but it was almost like at certain points it would still run but it had this sort of chugging sound I guess you could say. So I parked it for probably 3-3.5 hours, I was at work (pizza delivery), so after it sat for a while I got off and drove home and it was fine, about 2 miles away it started to do that "chugging" thing again where it was a struggle to get it over 25/30. But then at the next stop light when I accelerated a little harder than usual it was fine again. Anyone know what kind of damage there could be, and if it's anything serious?
Old 03-25-2016, 08:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I had this issue when I bought my WS6. I'm not saying this is the absolute cause, but evidently when my old O2 sensors with extensions got soaked my car ran like total ***. Since I have LT headers I bought the proper O2 sensors, no extensions needed, and I haven't had the issue in years. A lot of people don't have issues with extensions, but some do...
Old 03-25-2016, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Yeah I also have LT headers, but I have the correct O2 sensors for them, I drove it today and everything seemed to be okay, i'm hoping it stays that way.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

maybe a little bit of water got in your motor and it burned it out.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

when you say CAI I assume SSRA or similar for the puddle concern
Old 03-25-2016, 09:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Originally Posted by usnfenix
when you say CAI I assume SSRA or similar for the puddle concern
thats exactly the reason why i never got one that hangs that low.
Old 03-26-2016, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
thats exactly the reason why i never got one that hangs that low.
I ran one for a year and never had an issue in a high rain area. think how far that water needs to travel plus a vertical incline and past your filter then through a section up to your TB. very slim chance and if you are getting water in at that point you have bigger problems because your car is in a lake
Old 03-26-2016, 06:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

I ran one for a year and never had an issue in a high rain area. think how far that water needs to travel plus a vertical incline and past your filter then through a section up to your TB. very slim chance and if you are getting water in at that point you have bigger problems because your car is in a lake
other things like they block your radiator and a chance of damage from it being so low.

the fact theres any chance at all of sucking water into my engine worries me.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

My last 2 cars had SSRA systems. Last car I actually got stuck in the rain a few times. Major downpours. Ended up fine.

Current car I tried the big SSRA and the regular one. I got caught in the biggest storm i'v ever driven through on the way home from the track 2.5 hrs away. Never had any issues.

Am I saying don't worry about it? No way. I would never install one on a DD or a car you will drive in rain. If by any chance I ever get caught in rain, I take the blockoff off the airbox. That way, the air isn't only limited to sucking the air up through the duct under the car. Its more likely to suck through the stock opening on the airbox.

Take care in using these things. Iv never had any issues but I sure as hell don't want to destroy a motor because of that. Im sure no one does.

Is your car still good OP?

Last edited by senicalj4579; 03-29-2016 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
other things like they block your radiator and a chance of damage from it being so low.

the fact theres any chance at all of sucking water into my engine worries me.
never had an issue with overheating in fact the car still ran under 180 temps and I live in FL with summer temps in the high 90s.

and damaging it? your air dam hangs lower. chances are your headers hang lower on some cars.

don't be stupid and you wont damage it, the JAWS edition I would never run but regular SSRA? used it, was very happy, and noticed a decent increase.

I guess its not for everyone and that's fine, just stating my time with it which was nothing other than positive and happy.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:29 PM
10 Second Club

Over heating? I ran the megamouth and it wasn't worth it to me on a street car. It most definitely made my car run warmer and yes I was reading via pcm. It did not allow the fans to pull the same airflow through the radiator either.
I went back to the a/c version and I run that with a/c deleted. With no condenser in the way, it leaves room to run my big bad *** trans cooler mounted on my LT1 radiator. Absolutely perfect efficiency and better than stock. Its setup perfectly for when the stroker goes in
Old 03-29-2016, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
Over heating? I ran the megamouth and it wasn't worth it to me on a street car. It most definitely made my car run warmer and yes I was reading via pcm. It did not allow the fans to pull the same airflow through the radiator either.
I went back to the a/c version and I run that with a/c deleted. With no condenser in the way, it leaves room to run my big bad *** trans cooler mounted on my LT1 radiator. Absolutely perfect efficiency and better than stock. Its setup perfectly for when the stroker goes in
I had regular SSRA not megamouth, couldn't delete A/C on a Florida DD car. The car ran well and I didn't do SSRA at time of other mods I know it performed better after just it.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:29 AM
10 Second Club

I had regular SSRA not megamouth, couldn't delete A/C on a Florida DD car. The car ran well and I didn't do SSRA at time of other mods I know it performed better after just it.
In Fl I wouldn't delete the a/c either unless its mostly track car.
When I first ran a a/c version SSRA 10 years ago WITH a/c in the car, my condenser couldn't release heat enough. I did overheat. I remember I would have to shut the a/c off when I saw temps too high. Then it would go back to normal. But that was 10 years ago and there were other things making it worse like for example, I didn't have the maintenance skills I have now, so the radiator was probably jammed with crap. My setup now is perfect though
And FWIW I did run the a/c version WITH a/c in the car on my current car 6 years ago. It would also overheat but I had a trans cooler on the condenser with that setup. So that's another factor as well.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

as i said. thanks for verifying my concerns about running hot and possible damage.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

In Fl I wouldn't delete the a/c either unless its mostly track car.
When I first ran a a/c version SSRA 10 years ago WITH a/c in the car, my condenser couldn't release heat enough. I did overheat. I remember I would have to shut the a/c off when I saw temps too high. Then it would go back to normal. But that was 10 years ago and there were other things making it worse like for example, I didn't have the maintenance skills I have now, so the radiator was probably jammed with crap. My setup now is perfect though
And FWIW I did run the a/c version WITH a/c in the car on my current car 6 years ago. It would also overheat but I had a trans cooler on the condenser with that setup. So that's another factor as well.

idk to each his own, I didn't have a trans cooler or jammed radiator was a bolt on car and it ran fine, never north of 180-190. I will still stand by it, and I am moving to WA state for a few years so I wont have the heat factor of florida like there is now.

I could see how a trans cooler could add up to it and honestly if I was running a trans cooler I prob would run JAAM, my concern with it though is that WA rains a lot and JAAM has a much higher chance of water ingestion than SSRA
Old 04-03-2016, 12:24 PM
Teching In

My last 2 cars had SSRA systems. Last car I actually got stuck in the rain a few times. Major downpours. Ended up fine.

Current car I tried the big SSRA and the regular one. I got caught in the biggest storm i'v ever driven through on the way home from the track 2.5 hrs away. Never had any issues.

Am I saying don't worry about it? No way. I would never install one on a DD or a car you will drive in rain. If by any chance I ever get caught in rain, I take the blockoff off the airbox. That way, the air isn't only limited to sucking the air up through the duct under the car. Its more likely to suck through the stock opening on the airbox.

Take care in using these things. Iv never had any issues but I sure as hell don't want to destroy a motor because of that. Im sure no one does.

Is your car still good OP?
Thanks for the replies everybody, as far as I can tell there's no serious problems. But there is one thing that has me a little worried, when I start my car up fairly soon after I park it, say like 15-30 minutes, it does this thing where it almost feels like it's clogged and I can't accelerate, so I just stay off the gas and let it do it's thing, then after like 100 feet of just rolling along whatever is wrong with it sort of "unclogs" and it sort of feels like it shifts into normal. Oh and also when this is happening the idle hovers at 3-400 rpm.

Quick Reply: CAI and big ass puddles