General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Multi car insurance question

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 10:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Multi car insurance question

I know many of you have several cars. I have three. I always feel like I am getting ripped off for insurance since I can only drive one car at a time. Have any of you found an insurance company that takes it into account that you can only drive one car at a time?
Old 03-07-2017, 11:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 353 Likes on 266 Posts

I think if you have full coverage they take into account that one is not a primary vehicle, but for just liability
Old 03-07-2017, 01:47 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,727 Likes on 1,239 Posts

As mentioned above, usually the rates are higher for the primary car for each driver in the household, then any additional cars are a bit cheaper but there is still a fee for all aspects of coverage for each car (liability/comp/collision.) To the best of my knowledge, only "collector" type policies offer a single flat fee for liability across multiple cars - but even with those policies, you're still paying separately for comprehensive coverage since any/all vehicles are at risk for this type of claim at all times.

I, too, have several cars and two of them are show vehicles that are covered by a "collector" policy. I pay one flat amount for liability annually, though the cost of comprehensive/collision coverage is different for each vehicle as they are insured for different amounts (based on agreed value.) That's probably the closest you'll ever get to a type of insurance that doesn't charge you a complete premium for every vehicle you have listed - but keep in mind that these collector policies have special requirements and restrictions, therefore are not suitable for a daily driver.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:30 PM
12 Second Club

I don't have any vehicles with high values , have no payments and usually have 4 or 5 insured between my wife and I so I go the big boy route and put liability only no collision , not even comprehensive ( they always try to slip that back in too lol)
Old 03-07-2017, 05:14 PM
Staging Lane

Any insurance companies that you would recommend as having a better rate or are they all about the same?
Old 03-07-2017, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

If you're a home owner you should qualify for some sort of discount if you have all of your coverage's through the same company. It might not be much but every little bit helps. I have three vehicles, two are liability only and do not get driven often, the third has full coverage as it is my daily. When I switched my auto coverage over to the same company that my homeowners is through i got a 10% discount on my home policy as well as my auto policy dropped about 50 bucks a month from what it was before. Your age also has a lot to do with it, as well as any tickets or accidents on your driving record. I think 26 or 27 is the age limit for men when prices go down for auto policies. When I hit that age limit and all of my old tickets finally rolled off of my record (I believe the insurance companies check back 5-7 years or so) my rates dropped considerably.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Z4Ccoupe
Any insurance companies that you would recommend as having a better rate or are they all about the same?
For me, an older guy, GEICO has given me the best bang for the buck for my T/A and GT. Full coverage. I had Allstate for over 20 years and GEICO beat em by about half when I switched about 5 years ago. It was a ridiculous difference in my situation which also includes my home insurance in the package. Safe driving record & 'old fart' discounts certainly help too. My C4 is insured with Hagerty but Geico would have been my choice for it as well if they offered the 'agreed value' part. Each state is different too, along with your credit rating. So many factors exist for each person's costs. What I have seen people paying in some states is wild, nearly triple, but again, there may be a reason. It's hard to compare on a car forum site with so many possibilities existing. Shopping around, while a pain, is almost the only way to go.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For everything you see in my sig and all of them are full coverage except the 2000 Z28 (it's my daily) I pay less than $300 and the classics are worth the most with appraisels too. I call once a year and give state farm my mileage on the ones they ask for to prove I dont drive the cars much and every year I see a little bit drop. Im 28 if that matters.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:32 AM
Staging Lane

Docrocket that seems amazinly low. I think my insurance company would be hitting me for $1000 per month for what you have. Do you have your home owners insurance with State Farm?
Old 03-17-2017, 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z4Ccoupe
Docrocket that seems amazinly low. I think my insurance company would be hitting me for $1000 per month for what you have. Do you have your home owners insurance with State Farm?
I do not. Im not kidding when I say I call up to my state farm office and haggle with them. The classics I pay hardly anything for a month for example there was a time I was paying $21 a month for my 68' GTO.

I will also edit, the 2002 Z28 I do not insure, I own the car but my dad enjoys it and therefore covers the insurance. Only drove it myself 3-4 times maybe. The rest in my sig are full coverage except the 2000 Z28
Old 03-17-2017, 11:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check AAA. They saved me $5000 per year switching my home owners and auto to them from Liberty Mutual. 4 cars on auto policy. (2 LS1 F-bodies, 04 Silverado and 13 Traverse) The AAA agent was astounded at what Liberty Mutual had been charging me. Also these days your credit rating has a huge impact on your insurance rates you pay.

And if anything is old enough to be a collector car, check with Hagerty. My 72 is $250/year with them for 100/300K liability, Comp, Collision each with only $100 deductable, $20K stated value.

Quick Reply: Multi car insurance question