General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Lsx 454

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 07:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lsx 454

I am hoping this is correct place to ask the question so I apologize i advance if I have broken the forum rules...

I am considering the LSX 454 for a conversion in a 1972 Buick Skylark. Looking to go NA with close to big block Buick displacement. I plan to run a carb at this point. Any suggestions on where to get the best pricing on the crate motor? Also, I have read a few horror stories about these engines but it seems like failure was due to high boost, Any experiences running them NA?

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2017, 09:29 AM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

I would call Scoggin Dickey. They're a vendor here on the site, and probably your best bet at honoring that 2 year warranty without any hassles.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:21 PM
Teching In

Thanks. I'll talk to them before pulling the trigger
Old 04-07-2017, 09:56 AM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

There are several vendors that sponsor the site and they all offer competitive pricing on short blocks, such as Thompson, Texas-Speed, and Scoggin-Dickey. Obviously pricing will vary depending on options and shipping.

The 454LSX can be a good combo if you're not using it for big boost/nitrous applications and if the machine work is done correctly. The stroke needed get that displacement is not ideal for the piston from a design stand point, so it doesn't handle high heat and cylinder pressures as well as a thicker piston would that would be in a 4" stroke (or less) combo.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:57 PM
Teching In

I was hoping to find a long block or near turn key carb'd setup that was competitive with the GMPP crate motor but haven't seen many yet. No boost or more than 150 shot if any is planned. I definitely understand the downside to the long stroke though. Thanks for the comments so far!
Old 04-09-2017, 06:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

IMHO. If you haven't bought any Ls parts yet. Dont. The money it will cost you just to make 700 plus to on motor. Is quite expensive and it will be close to, if not a max effort motor. Then to run it on race gas is even more expensive. Then you will hardly drive it. This is what I would have done if I would not have fallen into the Ls fad. But still may on the next one. Drive it everywhere on pump gas. The motor will last a very long time on 9.8:1 compression and barely spinning it. And talk about a complete package with very good parts too. Wow. You even get the nitrous system, custom Dominator, and billet MSD. That is a very good price for the hp that it makes effortlessly too.
Attached Thumbnails Lsx 454-capture-_2017-03-02-08-31-20.png  
Old 04-09-2017, 07:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TTur1996
IMHO. If you haven't bought any Ls parts yet. Dont. The money it will cost you just to make 700 plus to on motor. Is quite expensive and it will be close to, if not a max effort motor. Then to run it on race gas is even more expensive. Then you will hardly drive it. This is what I would have done if I would not have fallen into the Ls fad. But still may on the next one. Drive it everywhere on pump gas. The motor will last a very long time on 9.8:1 compression and barely spinning it. And talk about a complete package with very good parts too. Wow. You even get the nitrous system, custom Dominator, and billet MSD. That is a very good price for the hp that it makes effortlessly too.
You are seriously offering a BBC to this mans plans? And from one of the most over hyped, over priced engine builders on the market? You're on a LS specific website, if the OP wanted a BBC I'm sure he would be posting elsewhere.

OP, don't listen to this advice. BBC sure, maybe... but not from that shop.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

If you would have read my post. You would have saw, that I didn't mention anything about an engine builder. The article was just supposed to be an example of what you can get, from any engine builder. The power you can achieve effortlessly, with a big block, cannot be matched with an Ls. Unless you spend way more money, have way more compression, spin the hell out of it, and then have to run expensive race gas. Then there is longevity. There are very many people running big blocks on this site as well. So other than the article, what bad advise did I give? Sorry OP. Just wanted to clarify the meaning of my post. Regardless of what that guy says. And in the end, it is just a suggestion. And that's all it was supposed to be, in the first place.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:27 PM
Teching In

I always appreciate opinions. The truth is that my heart still wants a big block Buick motor but the durability and cost for power is making me look elsewhere. No doubt that a BBC would be cheaper but that's complete heresy in the Buick world, more than doing LS. My original post was to see if the best option for the LSX 454 was through Scoggins Dickey, Jegs, Pace, another builder, etc. I was also hoping to hear from someone who has used one for a muscle car swap.

Quick Reply: Lsx 454