General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Reliable shipping company?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 08:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reliable shipping company?

So I found a Trans Am I like that's far away and had a friend of mine in the area check it out. I'm debating flying out and driving back or seeing how much a shipping company would charge. What companies do you guys use? thanks for any input.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would depend on condition of the car. And whether your ok with it being transported in a open carrier exposed to the elements or a enclosed trailer. Obviously enclosed will be more expensive. I've used reliable auto carriers inc. enclosed trailer before but it wasnt cheap.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:48 AM
Staging Lane

Its in good shape but I'm fine having it open to elements as I plan on using the car and not letting it sit. I let my last one sit too much and worried about it I told myself with this one I'm just gonna enjoy it.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:55 AM
Staging Lane

Have you compared price of driving it back to being shipped? Also, you can check out uship.com I used it to get a quad from texas once cost me $250.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:47 AM
Staging Lane

I haven't looked at weekday plane tickets but weekend tickets are like $500 and I can apparently ship it for that. Anyone ever used haulaway logistics? Seems the way to go If I can get my buddy to help me out some more ha. $12,000 for a clean 2000 ws6 black on black 3 owner manual with 31,000 miles is too tempting lol. Only flaws my buddy noticed was both door panels were cracked and firebird sticker on back of car was bad. Either completely stock or some minor mod no one knows of lol
Old 04-23-2017, 11:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Where is it, & where does it need to go?
Old 04-23-2017, 12:19 PM
Staging Lane

Kinda by Branson Missouri to Spencerville ohio
Old 04-26-2017, 08:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 539 Likes on 386 Posts

I would go see the car in person and drive it home. My 'car collector' neighbor and I have had both excellent experiences and horrible experiences with transport companies (top $$ ones too). If the distance is just too great or time consuming it can be tough but I personally make the effort on trips 500 miles or less. It all can be done economically in a weekend with only a one night motel stay, fast food, plus gas is still cheap. Skip the flying. There must be a buddy/girlfriend you have that would love to share a road trip with you.
Good luck with your new ride!
Old 04-26-2017, 09:01 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fly out and drive back , or maybe take a bus out ? would be cheaper and between music and internet you could keep pretty well occupied on a bus ride.

You could always schedule a 1 way uhaul truck and trailer to haul it home after you get there too although you would think with low miles like that if it sees some road time every year it should be good to go , if it has that low mileage because it hasn't been used in years I would lean towards hauling it home.

The list of friends I would trust to spend 12k sight unseen is a very short list , I agree with others I would try to make the effort to see it in person
Old 04-26-2017, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

I have to agree with everyone else here that you should go see it yourself and drive it back.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Heres who I used to have ship the WS6 in my sig from Texas to PA. Philamtransport Company 1-818-826-3216. Nothing but good to say about them. Had the car in two days!
Attached Thumbnails Reliable shipping company?-13882591_10209982219217596_5421262772728015927_n.jpg  
Old 04-27-2017, 10:48 AM
12 Second Club

When I lived in Mobile, AL. I had a company ship my SS to me in Greensboro, NC. It was fairly cheap and had the car 3 days.

When the car was first picked up the car it was the first on the trailer, the driver said he had two more cars to pick up & deliver and was the main reason for the low cost. He then explains to me that he was stopped in Georgia for not keeping an accurate data log and forced to correct the problem before the truck could move again.

Now the fun part!

He informs me that out of the three vehicles on his truck he liked mine best, so he unloaded the other two, got mine off, drove to the local DMV to correct his truck data log then decided to go out and eat and enjoy riding around in my car!! Was very adamant about how nice the car was and how well it drove but promised me he didn't 'Hot-Rod' it at all, just a nice casual drive in it.

His biggest mistake was handing me the keys to it when he pulled it off the trailer and then telling me about Joy ridding in it. The cost was $280 (and change) and I called his Company and asked how they would like to pay for the Car rental. The driver was standing next to me with a puzzled look as I explained to his company what this **** smoke did. They hung up and called this cat on his phone.

I drove off without paying for anything but this guy was getting an *** chewing because all I could hear as I was leaving was "I'm sorry, I'm sorry', I didn't know, I'm sorry"

Fly there and drive it back, enjoy the ride, the scenery, play golf, have fun!
Southwest Airlines from Columbus, OH to Tulsa OK one way on May 12 is $341
on the 19th it is $221

I wouldn't have it shipped unless it was overseas!

Chad
Old 04-27-2017, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I live in Canada, but if I lived in the states I would take the drive down 100% with a good friend or girl check the car out and it would be one hell of a drive back with it!

but if you can find a reasonable place to ship it to you go for it.

other good ideas as well from these guys in the previous posts
Old 04-27-2017, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

~650-700 miles and around a 10 hour drive. I'd fly/bus out and drive it home with stops and such along the way. a few years ago I drove my car from Lancaster, pa to ft wayne, in to get my trans built (had a week vacation). it took about 9 hrs driving and stopping for gas/food/toll (I think I spent $200)
Old 04-28-2017, 07:30 AM
TECH Junkie

ss4chad, Your story is rather common unfortunately. Even the top tier companies 'broker' many of their transports to crappy companies often operated by foreigners, some who don't even speak English. My neighbor had a transport driver 73 years old that couldn't get to his '94 pristine Jaguar on the top rack of the truck. I had to climb up there myself and back it off. Insane! There are also stores of finding used condoms in the back seats after a fun trip with their significant other. Delay excuses are common, ranging from ones like yours to equipment/mechanical issues. This gives them time to enjoy your ride even more. I've experienced problems with a company that has a full page ad in Hemmings. Not a cheap ad. You just don't know. It's very risky. Do you get the wonderful excellent service or the nightmare scenario?? 'It's running about 60/40 (excellent gets the 60) with approximately a dozen cars I have personal experience with. It's running 100% excellent when I go myself, even when experiencing car trouble on the way back. At least I'm in control.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally have left on a Friday and drove all the way up to a car on the Georgia Tennessee line and then waited for the guy and trailered it back while only stopping for gas. If you are one of those that can handle the hours of driving pretty well its actually a cool memory to make if you can convince a friend to go or someone fun. It also gave me the chance to make sure I wasnt getting screwed at all.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Docrocket1967
I personally have left on a Friday and drove all the way up to a car on the Georgia Tennessee line and then waited for the guy and trailered it back while only stopping for gas. If you are one of those that can handle the hours of driving pretty well its actually a cool memory to make if you can convince a friend to go or someone fun. It also gave me the chance to make sure I wasnt getting screwed at all.
x2, if you can put up with the miles then it's way worth it to just go get it yourself. That's what I did with my 67. Drove a little over 7 hours up to Arkansas to snag it and then a bit over 7 hours back to TX with it on the trailer. Took my best friend along and everything. Good times were had, good memories were made, and I got to put eyes on the car before I handed over the cash.

Name:  15337373_10100730955736196_3850965942775585159_n_zpszn5fvokx.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  86.2 KB
Old 05-09-2017, 11:41 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 216 Likes on 182 Posts

Two experiences:

1. I flew out to Detroit to buy a SOM T/A that I was assured was pristine, two owner, never been hit. Pics looked good. Got there and I was able to see that it had been in an accident. Had to buy a plane ticket back on the spot that day. Expensive but not as expensive a mistake as purchasing the car would have been.

2. Bought my SOM Formula from Oregon after having a member there check it out. Had it shipped on an open trailer. When it arrived, as a friend put it, "that's the dirtiest car I've ever seen." The excuse was "snowstorm in Wyoming". Once I got it cleaned up, I saw that the bumper and hood were covered in rock chips. The guy I had look at it never mentioned that. Had to have the front clip refinished (gorgeous now! ).

Moral: Go inspect it for yourself and buy round trip airfare if you're flying. Or PAY a professional to inspect it and give you a full report.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sebastian Grey
I tried using motorway and some other shipping companies they were not great. it's annoying. I'm looking for a new one right now to make sure that they don't damage the car
If you are east of the Mississippi, Joncyn Transport out of NH was the best company I have ever had dealings with. It's been a little over two years since they transported my C6 to me here in NC from Cape Cod. Very competitive prices, all American (I care about this stuff) and very communicative which is also so important. I doubt much has changed in the two years since. They have a Facebook page with all their info. I have a different phone number than the one now listed. If you are not in the geographic area I mentioned, call anyway as maybe things have changed. Good luck!
Old 01-28-2020, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used intercity lines to get my camaro from the east coast to AZ (2450 miles). https://intercitylines.com/ It was enclosed, trailer suspension, and they were great. Figure in the area of $1.25-2/mile at the cheapest for enclosed trailer. I would not ship open with a broker as the car will be filthy and get some road damage. Not to mention the beating the suspension takes on the road. If the drive is under 500 miles, I would just drive it back unless the car is a collector low mileage car or not that streetable.

Quick Reply: Reliable shipping company?