General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Ramps

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 03:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ramps

Hello Everyone,

I am in need of some advice. I need to get the car up in the air to do some maintenance on it i.e oil changes, and other things. I have been using a buddies set of homemade ramps but I would like to buy a set versus build them. My trans am is lowered about 2 inches so this can cause and issue as you can imagine. I am hoping to see what you guys are using to get the cars in the air. I have been looking at some race ramps but they seem very pricey.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How high are you wanting to get the car off the ground? Any auto parts store, Harbor Frieght/Northern Tool should have some ramps in stock that are relatively inexpensive. If theyre too steep to pull the lowered car on without dragging something, an 8x12 or 12x12 cut in half or similar to "extend" the ramps a bit would certainly help to save overall cost. If you want to spend a bit more, search for a company called "Race Ramps". They have some lower cost options that look pretty nice.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the Rhino ramps.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

X2 on race ramps I have the 56 inch 2 piece ramps and to me they are worth every penny.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:30 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by Orange Juice
I like the Rhino ramps.
This is what I've used for all of my 4th gens as well, but none of mine have ever been lowered 2" so I'm not sure if those would work for the OP or not.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My issue is that from the wheel it is 23 inches till the ramp surface or would hit the bumper. From the ground to the top of the fender it is approximately 26 inches. I would just like to get it up enough to change the oil and not have to jack the car up all the time.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use rhino ramps and have my car lowered on strano springs, was on eibach previously, but not a full 2" drop, its tight, but it works. How much space do you have from the bottom of your bumper just ahead of the wheel? Measure that and then measure the ramp height. Or buy a set and try them out, as said previously, if its still hitting, then cheapest option would be to add a 2x12
Old 05-22-2017, 12:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I use rhino ramps. They worked great for my C5, even though I had 2x8 boards (about 14"-18" long and beveled at the edge the tires hit) to drive up on before hitting the ramps. The car was too low to just to use the ramps without the boards. Worked great and cost me $0 extra dollars.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Amazon Amazon

Absolutely expensive as FFFFFFFFFFF..... But I went ahead a bought a set of these. One of my better auto related purchases. I needed something for my TA as well as my wife's caddy. Was sick of having to drove over several sheets of plywood that I screwed together just to be able to get a jack under, THEN setup jack stands that end up in my way, THEN take the stands out, then lower the car onto the same plywood little ramp, then back off. Screw all of that. Ramps. I've used them with all four of my vehicles already and they are great. Light but strong.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Absolutely expensive as FFFFFFFFFFF..... But I went ahead a bought a set of these. One of my better auto related purchases. I needed something for my TA as well as my wife's caddy. Was sick of having to drove over several sheets of plywood that I screwed together just to be able to get a jack under, THEN setup jack stands that end up in my way, THEN take the stands out, then lower the car onto the same plywood little ramp, then back off. Screw all of that. Ramps. I've used them with all four of my vehicles already and they are great. Light but strong.
Those are sweet for sure, but damn, race ramp products are some of the biggest rip-offs. They could probably sell those for $63 and still be making a good profit. A pair of $40 ramps and two 2x8 boards are just as easy.

Quick Reply: Ramps