General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Drive By Wire 4 Barrel Bodies

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 01:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
I can think of other reasons that could "possibly" make them perform better and or be more user friendly over a single blade style throttle body.
Height... Some of these are only as tall as needed for throttle blade clearance, So with 4 small blades rather than one large you have a much shorter throttle body.

Allows standard type air filter or low profile blow through hat that can be positioned any direction needed like off of the side or at an angle in relation to the engine.

Progressive linkage.... Flow the same air or more with more precise metering.

Strength... It's harder to bend 4-small throttle blades under heavy boost than one large one.

Air distribution? Probably not much of an issue with a dry intake but you end up with the same flow over a larger area.

Flow in general, You can run a dual 4-barrel throttle bodies that would flow a ton and have all the linkages/filters and so that are already available for dual carb application.
Again I don't know if there would be an advantage in air distribution in a dry intake but having 8 small throttle blades over the a wider area sounds better in my mind lol.

I know there are some intakes that are made specifically for dual quad setups that are low/standard profile all the way up to tunnel ram style that would be better suited to them.
I doubt you'll get any 4bll setup lower profile than a factory type LS intake with front TB ? As for bending shafts with boost.....had anyone actually bent say an LS2/3 shaft ? And they will support 2k+ with boost.

It'd actually be interesting to see some flow data to see what a single will flow vs a 4bll setup, I'd hazard a guess most decent size singles would flow more than most 4 hole setups, as the blade itself will be more of a restriction in each small hole so respective flow will be much less.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
It'd actually be interesting to see some flow data to see what a single will flow vs a 4bll setup, I'd hazard a guess most decent size singles would flow more than most 4 hole setups, as the blade itself will be more of a restriction in each small hole so respective flow will be much less.
I was referring to bent throttle blade not the shaft and it's never happened to me but I have read people having that issue, Maybe they were using cheap china crap I have no idea.

Front mount TB on stock intake yes a ls1 will take up less room.
From Accufabs website>

Chevy LS-1, 1998-1999 and up (with mechanical linkage)
Stock – 798cfm
75mm – 920cfm
90mm – 1369cfm

Accufab 4-Barrel Throttle Body
4150 style - 1215cfm
4500 style – 2128cfm
8500 style – 3600cfm
9500 style - 5,476cfm

Quick Reply: Drive By Wire 4 Barrel Bodies