General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: What would YOU do/get, and WHY???
2010 Camaro SS w/exhaust and cold air, 28K miles
18.18%
2000 Trans Am WS6 w/fresh turbo'd 6.0, 4L80, 93K miles on body
72.73%
Try to SELL 69 Pro Streeter outright and buy something else? (no luck so far on that option)
9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Choosing between 2 entirely different F bodies for next "toy"

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017 | 06:34 AM
11 Second Club
10 Year Member

Question Choosing between 2 entirely different F bodies for next "toy"

I have an F body now...albeit a 1st gen, with a nasty sounding big block, 2 stages of nitrous, big tires, full 12 point cage, high 9/low 10 second car on 1 kit, blah, blah, blah....

Unfortunately, due to a re-occurring health issue (back), this particular one must go...

I will still be able to enjoy having a weekend toy, but not one with a rough ride and rollcage...

It's replacement is down to 2 different choices.

One, basically a stock vehicle, as it is a very low mileage (28k) 2010 Camaro SS, 6 speed auto, with nothing done to it except an axle back exhaust, and a cold air kit...

...so, reasonably quick, newish, higher "book value" right now, but a 1st year model of this car...L99 engine/400hp, so most everything I have looked for, doesn't even show a listing for this engine..

The other, quite the opposite, a 2000 WS6 T/A with still decent mileage (93k), fresh 6.0 w/Frankenstein ported AFR heads, built for boost, w/rear mount 76mm turbo kit, intercooler, 4L80 trans, all Spohn suspension, and safely dynotuned to 711rwhp on pump gas and methanol, at 14psi.

Still a real WS6 car, but pretty much everything is gone that made it a WS6, very fast toy, probably can't go wrong with this one, is my gut feeling...

The plan is for this to be the "last car" for me for quite a while...and will be a hand me down one day, to my (also gearheaded) son...

Neither will see a rollbar/rollcage, but both WOULD see occasional Test & Tunes, or possibly bracket racing...As-Is for the Camaro, or boost turned down on the T/A

Which would you choose and why???
Old 10-31-2017 | 07:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

For me it would be the WS6 all day, but that's just me. Even if they were both stock I'd still choose it. It's just as fast stock to stock and looks much better IMO
Old 10-31-2017 | 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

i'd go witht eh turbo'd ws6. for the age and design it still stands out. why not add in a 6th gen with exhaust/intake/tune instead of the 5th gen?
Old 10-31-2017 | 08:37 AM
11 Second Club
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
For me it would be the WS6 all day, but that's just me. Even if they were both stock I'd still choose it. It's just as fast stock to stock and looks much better IMO
I agree, it DEFINITELY whoops the newer one on looks.

Originally Posted by fst100
i'd go witht eh turbo'd ws6. for the age and design it still stands out. why not add in a 6th gen with exhaust/intake/tune instead of the 5th gen?
Well, mainly because these are two that have offered to try and make deals with me for my 69.
Old 10-31-2017 | 10:27 AM
On The Tree

for me it would also be the WS6. but im not a huge fan of the 5th and 6th gen cars. but that's me. plus its boosted that makes it way more fun than a stocker 5th gen with a cat back. And the 5th gens are everywhere even in my small little town of 3000 people they are everywhere, but the 4th gen cars are pretty scarce(other than V6 cars)

hey I have a great idea. ill just trade ya straight up for my 4th gen for your 69 monster
Old 10-31-2017 | 03:33 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

I would not pick either, if we are speaking personally. Neither is quite what I would want for myself based on preference/taste, and I say that only because the question was, "What would YOU pick."

Having said that, based on what the OP has now (and what he plans to do with the next car) I would certainly recommend the WS6 out of those two. That '10 SS is going to be very boring compared to the car for which it's being traded, and I'm no fan of the L99 (the autos really should have gotten the LS3, same as the auto C6s.)

Some additional thoughts though:

Originally Posted by rel3rd
The other, quite the opposite, a 2000 WS6 T/A with still decent mileage (93k), fresh 6.0 w/Frankenstein ported AFR heads, built for boost, w/rear mount 76mm turbo kit, intercooler, 4L80 trans, all Spohn suspension, and safely dynotuned to 711rwhp on pump gas and methanol, at 14psi.

Still a real WS6 car, but pretty much everything is gone that made it a WS6, very fast toy, probably can't go wrong with this one, is my gut feeling...
With that mileage and level of modification, there is no collector value to being a WS6. At this point, any additional value would only be found in the OEM WS6 parts (such as the hood and wheels.) If those primary parts are missing, then it's not really worth any more than an otherwise comparable base Trans Am. These cars are not like the 1st gens, where simply being an original SS, for example, greatly increases the value even if many original parts are missing; 4th gens don't share this sort of market, and likely never will. Enough super nice, low mileage stock examples of these cars have been tucked away for the collector market that ~100k mile, highly modified examples aren't particularly desirable to that segment. So, if "collectibility" is a primary reason why you would pick this car, I would say it's moot at best.

The plan is for this to be the "last car" for me for quite a while...and will be a hand me down one day, to my (also gearheaded) son...
The 4th gen is a less complicated/less gadget-laden car, so if the goal for this next car is to keep it in service for decades to come then the WS6 would likely be a better choice.

Neither will see a rollbar/rollcage, but both WOULD see occasional Test & Tunes, or possibly bracket racing...As-Is for the Camaro, or boost turned down on the T/A
Again, coming from what you have now, that 5th gen Camaro is going to seem BORING, whereas the WS6 would be much more comparable. If you plan to leave the Camaro as-is (basically stock), it would make a fun daily driver but it's not going to fill the void that your current 1st gen leaves behind.
Old 10-31-2017 | 04:06 PM
11 Second Club
10 Year Member

All good points. Thanks.
Ironically, pretty much the only thing still 'WS6" is the hood and emblems...the 1st things bought by someone wanting to make a "tribute" WS6, lol.

I'm not really concerned about collectability and all that.

I definitely agree about the 2010 just being a "car, and I'm really not all that into the loom of them to be quite honest.

I'm pretty much already sold on the WS6. The body has 93,000, but engine has 400, recently rebuilt and dynotuned by KPE in Texas. Like you said, this one will be a much better replacement while still being a bit easier to get in and out of then one with a full cage and no tilt or removable steering wheel.

Thanks for the replies so far...keep an coming...
Old 11-01-2017 | 05:47 AM
TECH Junkie

TA no doubt.
Old 11-02-2017 | 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Personally I would keep the car you already have with the tried and true big block. It really doesn't get much better than that. You know everything that's done and how it acts already. Either one of those if you don't know exactly the history, you could be walking into a nightmare. Not to mention you will have to completely relearn the car that may end up being very costly. Keeping the car you have may save your sons license or maybe his life keeping him off the street with no safety gear. Realistically your not going to get anything close to what you have in it anyway.
Old 11-02-2017 | 09:51 AM
11 Second Club
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by TTur1996
Personally I would keep the car you already have with the tried and true big block. It really doesn't get much better than that.

Keeping the car you have may save your sons license or maybe his life keeping him off the street with no safety gear. Realistically your not going to get anything close to what you have in it anyway.
I agree, and love the big block Chevy's...especially with nitrous.

I cannot physically drive it, unless I literally cut the cage out...a swingout door bar, unfortunately, doesn't/wouldn't solve my problem, so keeping the car, isn't an option.

You never get what you put into them. I've learned that over and over...

My son will do just just fine, I'm confident in that. He already has a methanol injected, supercharged Fox body Mustang that'll give my car a decent run for the money. The license part...lol, well he is on his own there.

My plan is to turn the boost down for some occassional test & tune fun, without a required "need" for a rollbar, and simply turn it up for some weekend fun on the streets.

Trust me on this...if you can drive a faster "big tire" car, with it's weird mannerisms, going back to a 4th or 5th gen F body is a walk in the park...lol.
Old 11-02-2017 | 10:50 AM
TECH Addict

what about dojob's car? Low mileage car with some good parts on it:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-c...upe-6-spd.html

Clean slate and can modify the engine as you would like with your son.
Old 11-02-2017 | 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by smitty2919

It's a Camaro. Eww.
Old 11-02-2017 | 01:50 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by TTur1996
Personally I would keep the car you already have with the tried and true big block. You know everything that's done and how it acts already. Either one of those if you don't know exactly the history, you could be walking into a nightmare. Not to mention you will have to completely relearn the car that may end up being very costly.
I completely agree, for those exact reasons. However, the OP seems pretty clear on the fact that the current car is not an option due to physical limitations. The failings of the human body can be truly unfortunate.

Originally Posted by smitty2919

I'd much rather have a Camaro too, but the price on that one would keep me away.
Old 11-02-2017 | 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
It's a Camaro. Eww.
I guess I don't see the point of paying Firebird/WS6/SS prices when deep down, they are all the same car aside from body panels. Sure a WS6 is a cool looking car, no doubt, but I won't pay for that.

Give me a Z28 all day and the money I saved from buying a "rare" car I dump back into to it out perform a "rare" car...oh wait I did lol.
Old 11-02-2017 | 02:48 PM
11 Second Club
10 Year Member

Did we miss the part about the 711rwhp, fresh 6.0?

The last time I was somewhat of a regular here, (8 or 9 years ago?) I had a 2000 SS Camaro...loved it. Bolt ons with baby cam and converter for mid 11 second wheels up dragstrip fun, so I know I like the platform.

Honestly, the more I look at the newer ones, the less I want a 2010 or newer...i guess it's good that I have a few options.
Old 11-02-2017 | 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

Why buy either one and make your current car more friendly? Redo cage so it's not a PITA and soften up the ride.
Old 11-03-2017 | 03:03 AM
On The Tree

Of the two, I am on board with pretty much everyone else. The Trans Am.

Quick Reply: Choosing between 2 entirely different F bodies for next "toy"