General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

CVT Transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 06:02 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default CVT Transmissions

What are your thoughts on CVT transmissions? It seems like most vehicle manufactures keep adding more gears to their auto and manual trans over the years. First we have the powerglide, then the TH350 and 400, then the 200 and 700R4, then the 4L series, and now we are on to the 6L series and a 7 speed manual in the Stingray. To me, more gears equals more moving parts which is more to fail, and more parts to rob power. Why hasn't GM tried a CVT trans? It is technically one gear that can be turned in to any gear ratio. I mean there are other companies out there that use them, but none in high performance cars. My little Nissan Juke has one and it is a blast! Power to the wheels is less then the manual trans model, but it is faster when compared on the streets. Think about having any size stall converter you want, when you want it. On top of that, you would be able to cruise at any speed you want, at any RPM you want. Example, doing 75 in my Juke I am at 2800 RPMs. At 100 MPH I am still at 2800 RPMs. When you floor it, it goes straight to where it makes the most power and stays there. You can also simulate a 6 speed transmission in manual mode. With tuning, I am sure you can simulate any speed transmission you want. Seems like that combo would work great in a high HP V8 car! Taking strength out of the equation, because GM could build one to support a lot of power, would you take one over a standard automatic and a manual trans? What do you think the pros and cons of having one would be, racing and daily driving?
Old 07-25-2014, 12:38 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I was excited when I first heard about them years ago, but in the interim, I've noted that they haven't really caught on except in very low horsepower situations. I can only surmise it's because they can't handle any real power. Otherwise, like you say, why would OEM's keep designing transmissions with more and more gears (and complexity)?

The only experience I have with one is the local Civic Hybrid I drive when on PD duty. It's the most horrid vehicle I've ever driven.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
I was excited when I first heard about them years ago, but in the interim, I've noted that they haven't really caught on except in very low horsepower situations. I can only surmise it's because they can't handle any real power. Otherwise, like you say, why would OEM's keep designing transmissions with more and more gears (and complexity)?

The only experience I have with one is the local Civic Hybrid I drive when on PD duty. It's the most horrid vehicle I've ever driven.
Me too, I've driven Subaru's with a CVT and wasn't all that impressed. Granted, they are only 170 hp 4 cylinders, but it feels like you're driving around with a very loose converter. Would be interesting to try one in something with real power but I don't think they are designed to handle it yet.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't see why GM couldn't build one that is strong enough. I think the real keys to getting people to except them would be tuning it to feel a little more normal at low throttle, and a very quiet exhaust/interior so when accelerating it doesn't sound like your transmission is stuck can not shifting.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

For our main family vacation a few weeks ago, we flew to Denver and then rented a 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek with a CVT transmission. I put 2,700+ miles on that car in 10 days and the CVT in that thing was hands down THE WORST transmission I've even had the "privilege" of driving. I have to admit I drive cars hard, and that transmission seemed to always have the motor revving high and I couldn't get it to "kick down" gears when I needed it to. The car might have been fine with a manual transmission, but after putting as many miles as I did on it, I don't care to ever drive a CVT transmission again!
Old 07-31-2014, 01:28 PM
FormerVendor

It is sad to hear how bad some of the CVTs are. I am honestly impressed with the one in my Juke. The fact that it has a turbo helps out too. It normally sits at 2200 RPMs and at full boost. Cruising on the freeway its at 2800 RPMs. Passing someone with half throttle it sits at 4000 RPMs then drops back down when I let off. It also has the sport mode which simulates a 6 speed and gets rid of the CVT feel. If I could have got the AWD model in a manual I would have but sadly you can only get a manual in FWD only. Every car I have owned before this has been a manual and I miss it! Time to get moving on my Bug to get that good feeling back!
Old 08-01-2014, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Considering that Nissan can't even get them to hold up in lightweight 4 cylinder economy cars like the Sentra I can't imagine how one could be built to take 400+ ft/lbs and in much heavier vehicles.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The cvt can be hit or miss really. The pathfinder has problems, the Altima has problems. The Sentra I don't see as much. The Maxima almost never. I work at a Nissan dealership that's relatively busy. Only new Nissan I would get is a Maxima. If I could afford one.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Haven't seen the juke with problems. They are fun to drive. Timing chain recall has been a bitch tho. At least doing them it's given some techs a hard time.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:05 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by autogeek23
Haven't seen the juke with problems. They are fun to drive. Timing chain recall has been a bitch tho. At least doing them it's given some techs a hard time.
Ya I just got that letter in the mail. It said its optional but I am sure there is a reason why Nissan put it out. My car has a leak somewhere up front so I need to take it in anyways. It drives me crazy seeing oil everywhere every time I do an oil change! I just don't want to be without my car for a week! My other car isn't up and running yet so I am putting it off as long as I can. I think the recall letter said I had until October.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

CVT is still fairly new to even most automotive enthusiasts/popular mechanic crowd. So it'll take time to see well it's embraced by the market.

I do see that the Procharger i-1 supercharger uses a CVT on it. So the market is noticing it's possible potential.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I got an incredible deal on my 2004 Saturn Vue due to GM trying the CVT transmissions in the early Vue's and not being able to make it reliable. They were only lasting around 50K miles and GM stopped CVT Vue production 1/2 way through the '04 Vue model run and decided to load up the manual 5 speed models with options and sell them for the same price. I paid like $15K for a 5 speed Vue with sunroof, cruise, and power everything and my neighbor bought his a few months before me and he didn't get power anything and paid the same thing I did. Keep in mind, Saturn was a "no haggle" selling model...
Old 08-13-2014, 07:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure if all cvt trans use belts like toyota, but I don't see a belt ever handling any kind of real power, we took one apart at work and its a heavy duty belt and there isn't much in the case and I get that you can keep a motor in its optimal performing rpm forever but I think manufacturers know that the cvt trans is weak and driving the corolla around you can feel that when you stomp the gas it doesn't put all the power down at first, and it feels weird, and Toyota was retarded in placing "shift points" in a car that doesn't shift
Old 08-14-2014, 06:56 PM
Staging Lane

I'm a technician at a Toyota dealership and have countless issues with them. Already replaced 3 under warranty on 2014 model Corollas. Personally I don't like the feel of them and I still think dealerships need more R&D with CVT's.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Drove a friends Jeep Patriot with one and it was ******* terrible. On the interstate the thing would rev to the moon but not really accelerate much at all. Felt like the thing was going to scatter at any minute.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hate them.

But love the warranty $$$$ that come with them.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:18 PM
11 Second Club

I just got a 2012 maxima for my wife. The CVT is hard to get used too (feels weird that it don't change geers). But it is fun once you get used to it. And it pulls hard at any throttle position, and it is a fast car for what it is when you go to wide open throttle.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:20 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

It's kinda the opposite with the Civic Hybrid I drive when on duty. I go WOT all the time just driving around town. It's the most bizarre sensation. You floor it, the motor spins up to 5000 rpm immediately, and nothing happens. The car doesn't move any faster. Just more noise. After a couple of seconds, the thing begins to pick up some speed. By then it's too late. What a ridiculous car.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:52 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this post is eon's old, but GM DID put a CVT transmission behind LS engines (LFA/LZ1 6.0's with 10.7:1 compression with 243 heads).
Currently doing light build on an 09 Silverado 1500 crew cab 2wd with CVT trans and only accessories ever affixed to the engine from the factory were water pump and AC compressor (belt driven water pump will probably be coming off for a Mezeire's ewp to really clean up the front of the engine) as the starter was built into the CVT transmission and there is no power steering pump as it has an electric rack-&-pinion, with all accessories powered/charged via the *300* WATT battery that takes up all of the space under the back seat.
My question with this build, like everyone else is probably asking themselves/wondering -Will the CVT trans be able to handle/process satisfactory power from the flexplate (or whatever it is on this CVT setup) to the rear end/wheels/ground.
From what I can find online in regards to these CVT transmissions in Silverado/Sierra/Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade, problems tend to be more on the front where the engine spins the front cam bearing when an AFM lifter/cam fails, or with the electrical system.

Last edited by McCoyMotorsports; 01-03-2018 at 07:59 PM.

Quick Reply: CVT Transmissions