General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Going to begin my 99 Z28 build fairly soon.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BudRacing
If you want to be competitive in Auto-X, a manual is the way to go. You pretty much run those courses in a single gear and having that instant torque out of corners is beneficial along with engine braking. How serious are you about running Auto-X?

Personally, I wouldn't want the task of a manual conversion. Perhaps I'm just lazy, but it seems like a real PITA and quite expensive. I'm not in love with the T56 trans either--having daily driven one for 6+ years. I haven't driven a TR6060, but I hear it's much better. There are trans builders that offer the 6060 internals in a T56 case.
Well, right now I'm not really serious about it, just would like a place where I can enjoy it a bit and going in a straight line down a quarter mile just won't cut it for me... But what I am slightly afraid of is later on after doing it that I might become more serious about it and kick myself later for not doing the M6 swap...

I read up on a good few threads though and it looks a bit more involved than I really want to partake (mainly the master cylendar install and the cutting for the pedals and shifter installation) and the nearest F-Body orientated shop wants $2,500 in labor to do it which to me isn't worth it.. That comes to around $4,500 - $5,000 to swap out to a used M6 which I will need to turn around and rebuild again when things get serious... I'm PROBABLY not going to go that route though overall just because it just doesnt seem worth it for all the trouble..

The 4L80E is super appeasing but there's alot of miscellaneous stuff that goes into play with that, with the biggest things that concern me are the cutting in the transmission tunnel rib for the harness to fit, the transmission cooler lines as the stock ones will not work, I am wondering if I could use some braided lines and AN fittings to connect them to my stock ones or if I need to run entirely new lines to the front... Finally, the torque converter.. as a custom one will need to be built.. and lastly I would need to do it myself since it's a custom transmission install.. I haven't taken on anything like a transmission swap on my own yet - but I'm believing I probably need to learn given my power goals.. Just not sure if I can do it on my own or not...

Looking at the concept most of its straight forward besides the cooler lines, cutting in the trans tunnel and a the converter.. with the other difficulty being the dreaded top bolts that appears you need a 2 - 3 foot extension to reach. With a transmission jack I "think" I could do it, but also not sure the best method to get the car up high enough as I don't have any spare rims accessible anymore...

Local trans shop will only charge me $500 in labor to install a FLT unit (and they did the install on our C5's transmission earlier this year and came out with no issues so far so I trust them.), that to me is by far the easiest and most simple solution with the only thing being is I would be slightly concerned later down the road given my power levels but.. I dont intent of nailing it at every stop light or dragging it every weekend..it will be an occasional driver at best.. mainly..a show car...

Opinions?
Old 11-22-2017, 02:16 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,517 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
Opinions?
All things considered, I'd go with the FLT unit in your situation. I have a local friend (Sprayed 01 on this site) who has been using their level 7 4L65E in his 850+ rwhp turbo Trans Am for quite some time with great results. It's an expensive unit but eliminates the hassles of your other options (which aren't exactly cheap either.)
Old 11-22-2017, 10:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, I'll agree that with your intended uses and generally practical mindset that a nicely built 4l60/65 will hold up for your uses. If you ever do get serious about a 6 speed car, it's cheaper to buy one with the trans already in it.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Okay. Decided to go with a level 6 FLT transmission. Going to order it as soon as they open back up. Hopefully Monday.

Car is already at the trans shop. It started slipping pretty bad on my way home yesterday while on the highway, it was like driving in Neutral.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay. Decided to go with a level 6 FLT transmission. Going to order it as soon as they open back up. Hopefully Monday.

Car is already at the trans shop. It started slipping pretty bad on my way home yesterday while on the highway, it was like driving in Neutral.
$500 is on the high side of a trans install on an F-body. I paid $250 for my last swap, which was on the very low side. Are you going to order a converter as well? Might as well since the trans is coming out. I wouldn't reinstall the converter in there now since it will have bad fluid and friction material in it. Hopefully the trans shop doesn't mind storing your car for a while. I don't think FLT has these things stacked up waiting to be shipped...
Old 11-26-2017, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dirty Vegas
$500 is on the high side of a trans install on an F-body. I paid $250 for my last swap, which was on the very low side. Are you going to order a converter as well? Might as well since the trans is coming out. I wouldn't reinstall the converter in there now since it will have bad fluid and friction material in it. Hopefully the trans shop doesn't mind storing your car for a while. I don't think FLT has these things stacked up waiting to be shipped...

I was thinkin it was pretty low, most shops wanted around $750 but with that stated I'll keep looking.

I was figuring as much for FLT .. I was going to ask them how long it takes for them the build and ship it. Right now they're keeping my car in doors because it's attracting too much attention and that also kind of worries me.

Edit: Oh and yes, definitely ordering a new converter.. although I think Im going to just go with a stock converter till I really begin on the motor, I don't see the point of spending $1k on a 3800 stall then later tearing it out for a different stall speed when I add a cam and rebuild the motor to handle boost.. I'd rather address the stall then.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:28 PM
10 Second Club

I was thinkin it was pretty low, most shops wanted around $750 but with that stated I'll keep looking.

I was figuring as much for FLT .. I was going to ask them how long it takes for them the build and ship it. Right now they're keeping my car in doors because it's attracting too much attention and that also kind of worries me.

Edit: Oh and yes, definitely ordering a new converter.. although I think Im going to just go with a stock converter till I really begin on the motor, I don't see the point of spending $1k on a 3800 stall then later tearing it out for a different stall speed when I add a cam and rebuild the motor to handle boost.. I'd rather address the stall then.
Shoot, dreams are great and all, but your build is gonna be a while away. I had this converter in my 99 Camaro at first (came with the donor car). It drove just like a stock converter. I know a lot of people try to say that about other 3000+ stall converters, but trust me, those converters don't. You'd never know there was stall in my car unless I told you. It launched like a stock converter as well, you wouldn't know until you picked up your timeslip. It would usually run a low 1.70 60' in my stock internal 99 Camaro, and bottom 12's in the quarter. If I was just going to build a fun show/weekend cruiser, THIS is the stall I'd use. Bonus is that it's not much more than a reman stock torque converter!

http://www.converter.cc/product_p/st...ls3%202800.htm
Old 11-26-2017, 07:35 PM
10 Second Club

Yank is having a 10% off Black Friday sale good through tonight! So that $475 converter I linked would only be about $430 + shipping! That's an even better deal!
Old 11-27-2017, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like they're still having it. But I already ordered a stocker from FLT.

Ordered my Level 6 FLT Transmission today, going to take approximately 3 weeks before it ships.. can't wait though. Also ordered a stock converter. Going to have the trans shop flush my cooler...

Next purchase will be the rear axle and rear suspension.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

im confused what kind of a converter did you order? for 7 or 8 hundo hp why wouldn't you get a billet converter with anti balloon plates for the blower?
Old 11-27-2017, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DANOZ28
im confused what kind of a converter did you order? for 7 or 8 hundo hp why wouldn't you get a billet converter with anti balloon plates for the blower?
Motor's still stock right now. I only got a rebuilt stocker because I didnt want to get a high stall right now and then change it when I build the motor later. I dont plan on having 700 - 800 HP till mid to end of next year. I just want to prep the drive-train for now. Motor's going to have to come out for some serious refreshing, or possibly even replacement so I'll address the stall then.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:03 PM
10 Second Club

What did they get you for the stock converter?
Old 12-27-2017, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dirty Vegas
What did they get you for the stock converter?
A rebuilt stocker. It probably won't be in there for longer than half a year at best and the car is rarely driven so Im not too worried about it. The real converter will go in after pulling the motor.

Look what Santa got me for Christmas... I woke up to a LOUD crash in my fire place and there were stress cracks all over my walls and a big black box that was held together with tarps and a small note from Santa saying "sorry for the roof damage, didn't know where else to put it."

and low and behold I open the box and found a level 6 FLT!

It's getting installed and should be driveable tomorrow!
Old 12-28-2017, 10:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can imagine the excitement. Enjoy!
Old 12-29-2017, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's all installed and just got her back. Just driving around it feels stock, but when you put your foot in it, it shifts much more confidently and firm. Missed driving her too. Next up is the 8.8" Rear Axle.

Edit: I just can't get over how incredible this transmission shifts. Just cruising around its normal but when you so much as hint that you want to accelerate it confidently and firmly plants you into your powerband with a firm shift and off you go. No hesitation whatsoever.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 12-29-2017 at 03:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Going to begin my 99 Z28 build fairly soon.