General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Burnt motor

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 07:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burnt motor

I found a 2011 Camaro that was burnt pretty bad and can buy the motor for $400.Has anybody had major issues with the long block out of a burnt car and if so what problems did you have.How much will it cost for the intake,waterpump,A/C pump and everything that I will need to make this motor run again.IT will go in a 1970 442.I will be putting a cam in it so I will put new seal in the motor anyway.thanks
I can also buy a 2000 iron block 6.0 that runs for $400.Which would be better.

Last edited by a70oldscutlass; 11-21-2017 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 481 Likes on 332 Posts

Depending on the severity of the burn and where the heat was concentrated, the block can distort. With out opening the engine up there is no way to know whats good inside.

Almost Every one I have dealt with has had rusty cylinders that require having it re-bored.

If its a light burn and just melted some of the intake and wiring, you may be ok.

The last one I played with, the main caps shrank and caused all sorts of issues. If the pan is melted, stay away and consider the block junk. The cost to replace the main caps exceeds the cost of a good used bare block.
Old 11-23-2017, 05:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't thik the pan is melted but I haven't went to look yet.I talked to a couple people that have used them without problems but I don't know how bad they were burnt.I think if the bottom is good that $400 is cheap for that motor.

Quick Reply: Burnt motor