General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Installing AC system from another car, system been open for a few years

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 10:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installing AC system from another car, system been open for a few years

So i did the whole turbo thing and pulled the AC system off my car.. Its been a open system for a few years now... Well i decided to go back to stock and reinstall the AC system.. So i have a few questions...

1 what ac parts should i just replace with new parts, i planned on doing a new orfice tube and a new dryer. is their anything else i should just replace wit new?

2 how long should i vacuum the system? over night? or just a few hours?

3 how much oil?

4 how much r134 ?

thanks....
Old 12-18-2017, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 183 Likes on 145 Posts

I'd pull a vacuum on it for as long as you can stand it to see if those hoses and o-ring seals can handle it. The shop manual will likely tell you how much oil and certainly how many pounds of R134 to add. There's also an app for my phone I use to tell me what my gauge pressures should be based on R134 fill level and the outside air temperature. Pressures for FREON are trickier to measure in the winter when superheat is tougher to reach. A good $50 set of Harbor Freight gauges is what I use and I'm now a hero to my youngest son's girl friend because I have so easily kept her Camry's AC going . . . . twice.

Don't turn the R134 can upside down to speed along this fill process unless you want to damage your compressor.

Rick

Quick Reply: Installing AC system from another car, system been open for a few years