General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Build 4th gen or buy 6th Gen camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 12:24 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had that same thought- upgrade my 4th gen even more or buy new and put parts into that instead? Besides taking on another car payment and higher insurance rates of a new sports car, ultimately I just don't feel digging into a different car.

I decided to upgrade the snot out of my 93 T/A and bring it up to a modern level of tech, add a buttload of power and make it very unique.

So its in the process of getting an LS9 supercharged 6.2 LSx, paddle shifting 6L80E, AEM ECU with data acquisition, 6 piston ctsv brakes, IRS (down the road) and more. Approaching 700hp with a paddle shift on a road course- or anywhere else for that matter will be all sorts of **** eating grin fun lol

When it's done I'll enjoy running down many new cars and have a lot of the same tech-y features as them.
Attached Thumbnails Build 4th gen or buy 6th Gen camaro?-incollage_20180308_182422975-1-.jpg  
Old 04-04-2018, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Heat Seeker WS6
I had that same thought- upgrade my 4th gen even more or buy new and put parts into that instead? Besides taking on another car payment and higher insurance rates of a new sports car, ultimately I just don't feel digging into a different car.

I decided to upgrade the snot out of my 93 T/A and bring it up to a modern level of tech, add a buttload of power and make it very unique.

So its in the process of getting an LS9 supercharged 6.2 LSx, paddle shifting 6L80E, AEM ECU with data acquisition, 6 piston ctsv brakes, IRS (down the road) and more. Approaching 700hp with a paddle shift on a road course- or anywhere else for that matter will be all sorts of **** eating grin fun lol

When it's done I'll enjoy running down many new cars and have a lot of the same tech-y features as them.
That sounds pretty sweet, did you use the TCI 6X Transmission? If my built 4L60E fails thats what Im going for next.

Btw how will you get the LS9 to fit under the cowl? Are you cutting the cowl? spacers on the engine cradle? Do you intend on keeping the Windshield Wipers?
Old 04-04-2018, 01:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
That sounds pretty sweet, did you use the TCI 6X Transmission? If my built 4L60E fails thats what Im going for next.

Btw how will you get the LS9 to fit under the cowl? Are you cutting the cowl? spacers on the engine cradle? Do you intend on keeping the Windshield Wipers?

I'm not doing the TCI 6X. I looked into it when it came out a few years ago and decided not to run with it for several reasons. The trans part of it is a 4L80 that uses custom programming of the valvebody to create 6 gears from the standard 4 in an OEM setup. I've seen some demos of their paddles and in-car vids of customer's cars and I'm not too impressed. ...I want a fast shift when I call for it.
I'm going to be using a Sonnax modified 6L80E- a true 6 speed trans that will be controlled by a Powertrain Control Solutions TCU that specifically controls 6L80s and 6L90s. Using their paddle shifter and programming I will really tighten the up & down shifts. Gear indicator will be on my new digital dash and if I can get it to work- install a Vette heads up display to show gear & rpm's. After driving/tracking some DCT paddle shift cars, I set a lofty goal in doing this. lol I blame Enzo's company for this.

Here's where stuff really gets cool... (as if a paddle shift isn't enough lol)-
I am hell bent on not loosing my wipers and cutting the cowl.

First of all, the LS9 and LSA superchargers themselves are the same dimensions BUT its their upper lids is where the differences are. The LS9 is a few inches shorter that the LSA (CTSV and ZL1) lids and that alone gets you barely in there! Downside to using the ZR1 blower is the sheer cost... its plenty of wallet hurt, but its that or cut the car and not drive it in the rain.
All of the people I've heard that have done LSA swaps are using an LS 98-02 kmember and shimming them down to gain some clearance, but I've come up with a slick plan. I'm going with the BMR sbc/bbc kmember NOT the LS and will be using the uprights with the LS motor mounting plates, not the sbc/bbc mounting plates. This took some time to come up with and I thank BMR for the support! With this kmember there's a pair of bushings that can be shaved down to lower the engine down- by doing this vs shimming the kmember down with spacers, I'm not screwing with suspension geometry at all AND my car keeps its integrity.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Damn that sounds interesting! Do you have any build threads on here?
Old 04-04-2018, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not doing the TCI 6X. I looked into it when it came out a few years ago and decided not to run with it for several reasons. The trans part of it is a 4L80 that uses custom programming of the valvebody to create 6 gears from the standard 4 in an OEM setup. I've seen some demos of their paddles and in-car vids of customer's cars and I'm not too impressed. ...I want a fast shift when I call for it.
I'm going to be using a Sonnax modified 6L80E- a true 6 speed trans that will be controlled by a Powertrain Control Solutions TCU that specifically controls 6L80s and 6L90s. Using their paddle shifter and programming I will really tighten the up & down shifts. Gear indicator will be on my new digital dash and if I can get it to work- install a Vette heads up display to show gear & rpm's. After driving/tracking some DCT paddle shift cars, I set a lofty goal in doing this. lol I blame Enzo's company for this.

Here's where stuff really gets cool... (as if a paddle shift isn't enough lol)-
I am hell bent on not loosing my wipers and cutting the cowl.

First of all, the LS9 and LSA superchargers themselves are the same dimensions BUT its their upper lids is where the differences are. The LS9 is a few inches shorter that the LSA (CTSV and ZL1) lids and that alone gets you barely in there! Downside to using the ZR1 blower is the sheer cost... its plenty of wallet hurt, but its that or cut the car and not drive it in the rain.
All of the people I've heard that have done LSA swaps are using an LS 98-02 kmember and shimming them down to gain some clearance, but I've come up with a slick plan. I'm going with the BMR sbc/bbc kmember NOT the LS and will be using the uprights with the LS motor mounting plates, not the sbc/bbc mounting plates. This took some time to come up with and I thank BMR for the support! With this kmember there's a pair of bushings that can be shaved down to lower the engine down- by doing this vs shimming the kmember down with spacers, I'm not screwing with suspension geometry at all AND my car keeps its integrity.
Thats quite the setup. Keep me posted. I'd like to do something similar.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:00 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bigbomber5
Damn that sounds interesting! Do you have any build threads on here?
Yep-
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-am-build.html
Old 04-05-2018, 09:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
Thats quite the setup. Keep me posted. I'd like to do something similar.
Thanks, it's been real interesting so far! and I have a build thread here and on FB.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, it's been real interesting so far! and I have a build thread here and on FB.
Can you link me?

Edit: Sorry - Just saw it above.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 04-05-2018 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Shookws6
Build 4th gen or buy 6th Gen camaro?
I was in the same boat. I test drove a new camaro and couldn't see out of the damn thing. Too many blind spots. I got out of the car, shook my head, rubbed my eyes, and bought a 4th gen. Problem solved.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:07 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Another strong point for the 4th gen is the hatchback and cargo capacity. Say you want to haul a couple of wheels with tires. How do you do that in the new cars? You don't.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

There is more room in the trunk of a 6th gen compared the 4th gen.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
True, overall the 6th Gen has alot more cargo space, but it also has a small trunk opening making it a pain to fit anything inside.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:13 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
Can you get a pair of wheels with tires in there, as I've done many times? Or a small table and cooler full of ice like I did yesterday?
Old 04-14-2018, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Can you get a pair of wheels with tires in there, as I've done many times? Or a small table and cooler full of ice like I did yesterday?
Technically you could pretty easily if the trunk door opening was wider, otherwise you would need to do it by going through the driver/passenger door, and putting it through the backseat via letting the back seat down.