General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Build 4th gen or buy 6th Gen camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 11:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build 4th gen or buy 6th Gen camaro?

I seen some 6th gen 1ss go down in price cheapest I seen was $33,000 for a new 2018 1ss guess they’re not selling well but my options are to mod my 98 ws6 which is stock besides wheels and suspension or buy a 6th gen ss. I have $15000 looking to put $7000 down on the camaro or $7000 to build my ta. I have a feeling my stock ws6 will lose its reliability if I mod the engine. and what i hate about the camaro is that I see them everywhere lol. I know they depreciate in value like crazy. I like how rare and beautiful a ws6 is but I love how modern a 6th gen is but damn a cammed ls1 sounds like heaven. Mine is at 84k miles
Old 03-05-2018, 12:39 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Nobody can answer this for you. It's entirely a personal decision, and either choice will have pros and cons. Just how much those pros and cons matter is completely subjective.

For me, the biggest cons of the 6th gen are the complexity/tech overload, too many gadgets that are mandatory, and the styling. The biggest cons of a 4th gen are the lack of factory fresh parts and no remaining warranty. Overall, I'd much rather have a 4th gen for a toy (which is why I still have one) as long as it's still in great condition, but if it's going to be daily transportation/sole vehicle then I could understand the desire for a 6th gen.

Having said all that, I wouldn't personally take out a loan that big on a new Camaro, especially if your 4th gen is paid for and generally reliable/pleasing to you. That's a lot of debt to assume on a depreciating asset which isn't really necessary. Some folks don't mind carrying debt, and I guess it's no big deal if you had the cash to pay it off at any time, and the loan was issued at a rate lower than what you can earn with your cash - but it doesn't sound like this is the case if you only have $15k on hand. The finance side of this is probably not the conversation you were looking to have though.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Nobody can answer this for you. It's entirely a personal decision, and either choice will have pros and cons. Just how much those pros and cons matter is completely subjective.

For me, the biggest cons of the 6th gen are the complexity/tech overload, too many gadgets that are mandatory, and the styling. The biggest cons of a 4th gen are the lack of factory fresh parts and no remaining warranty. Overall, I'd much rather have a 4th gen for a toy (which is why I still have one) as long as it's still in great condition, but if it's going to be daily transportation/sole vehicle then I could understand the desire for a 6th gen.

Having said all that, I wouldn't personally take out a loan that big on a new Camaro, especially if your 4th gen is paid for and generally reliable/pleasing to you. That's a lot of debt to assume on a depreciating asset which isn't really necessary. Some folks don't mind carrying debt, and I guess it's no big deal if you had the cash to pay it off at any time, and the loan was issued at a rate lower than what you can earn with your cash - but it doesn't sound like this is the case if you only have $15k on hand. The finance side of this is probably not the conversation you were looking to have though.
yea I understand it’s nice not having a car payment lol but now I’m in a good position where I can get a new car and not be broke lol but just because I can get one now I’m not sure it’s the right thing to do
Old 03-05-2018, 02:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 349 Likes on 241 Posts

Like RPM WS6 said, only you can answer that.

What is your reasoning for wanting to switch? Is it styling or power?

Just because you mod a vehicle does not necessarily mean reliability goes down.

With that said I will give ya my take..... There would be absolutely zero chance I would trade your T/A for a new camaro in the styling department. Now if its the performance side you are after the only way it would make sense to me is if you were not going to mod yourself and have to pay for labor.

A mild H/C/I/E build on your T/A would wake your car up and pull a 2018 camaro. Now if you are not able to do the labor on the H/C/I/E it's going to cost you a petty penny, if you do the labor it will run ya around $4 - 6,000 in parts.

Is it a manual or automatic?
Old 03-05-2018, 02:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 349 Likes on 241 Posts

Also just seen you are in California so you definitely have hoops to jump through when modding the T/A
Old 03-05-2018, 06:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
Like RPM WS6 said, only you can answer that.

What is your reasoning for wanting to switch? Is it styling or power?

Just because you mod a vehicle does not necessarily mean reliability goes down.

With that said I will give ya my take..... There would be absolutely zero chance I would trade your T/A for a new camaro in the styling department. Now if its the performance side you are after the only way it would make sense to me is if you were not going to mod yourself and have to pay for labor.

A mild H/C/I/E build on your T/A would wake your car up and pull a 2018 camaro. Now if you are not able to do the labor on the H/C/I/E it's going to cost you a petty penny, if you do the labor it will run ya around $4 - 6,000 in parts.

Is it a manual or automatic?
It’s an auto and I would have to pay for labor also and being in California after all that I doubt my ta would be smog legal
Old 03-05-2018, 06:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 576 Likes on 402 Posts

I like the idea of not having a payment. You never know when something else is going to pop up in life.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Shookws6
I seen some 6th gen 1ss go down in price cheapest I seen was $33,000 for a new 2018 1ss guess they’re not selling well but my options are to mod my 98 ws6 which is stock besides wheels and suspension or buy a 6th gen ss. I have $15000 looking to put $7000 down on the camaro or $7000 to build my ta. I have a feeling my stock ws6 will lose its reliability if I mod the engine. and what i hate about the camaro is that I see them everywhere lol. I know they depreciate in value like crazy. I like how rare and beautiful a ws6 is but I love how modern a 6th gen is but damn a cammed ls1 sounds like heaven. Mine is at 84k miles[/left]
Have you test driven a 6th gen? If not take a test drive and see if you like it and are comfortable inside the car etc. That might be enough to decide if you want it or not.
Something to consider is you can mod the TA to easily outperform the 6th gen for a fraction of the cost but the TA will never be as "nice" as a 6th gen as the build quality is much better on newer cars obviously. Interior design, materials and panel fitment will be much better on the 6th gen, something you can't really change on the 4th gen. The 6th gen also has the advantage of having a nicely setup IRS compared to the solid axle 4th gen.

As far as modding your engine you can mod it and still have great reliability (and gas mileage) if you do it right.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:46 PM
Staging Lane

I have a h/c/I full bolt on trans am that sometimes ill drive 400 miles a week. Mine didn't suffer drivability when I added the mods.
But like others have said.. this decision is up to you.
My personal opinion coming from someone who has a newer style Camaro, and could afford to upgrade to a 2018, I chose to mod the trans am. Something about it makes it better than my Camaro even though Camaro is newer. Not having a car payment is really nice too. Theres only 3 TAs around me whereas my town is FLOODED with camaros.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

I've owned my Camaro for 18 years and absolutely love every time I drive it. Last year I had the same thought ...buy a Corvette or put some money into the car and update the HP. After lots of thought I went with Full build on my car. (68k miles) Bottom end was freshened up, H/C/I, LT's, supporting mods, rebuilt tranny, converter, tune...the car runs beautiful, continues to put a smile on my face, no car payment, and have surprised some newer gen cars who thought they were faster lol.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Have you test driven a 6th gen? If not take a test drive and see if you like it and are comfortable inside the car etc. That might be enough to decide if you want it or not.
Something to consider is you can mod the TA to easily outperform the 6th gen for a fraction of the cost but the TA will never be as "nice" as a 6th gen as the build quality is much better on newer cars obviously. Interior design, materials and panel fitment will be much better on the 6th gen, something you can't really change on the 4th gen. The 6th gen also has the advantage of having a nicely setup IRS compared to the solid axle 4th gen.

As far as modding your engine you can mod it and still have great reliability (and gas mileage) if you do it right.
might be a good idea to test drive one lol didn’t think of that
Old 03-06-2018, 08:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Firebird_lsx
I have a h/c/I full bolt on trans am that sometimes ill drive 400 miles a week. Mine didn't suffer drivability when I added the mods.
But like others have said.. this decision is up to you.
My personal opinion coming from someone who has a newer style Camaro, and could afford to upgrade to a 2018, I chose to mod the trans am. Something about it makes it better than my Camaro even though Camaro is newer. Not having a car payment is really nice too. Theres only 3 TAs around me whereas my town is FLOODED with camaros.
true my trans am is one of a kind where I’m at I never see them around where I live
Old 03-06-2018, 08:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by capelajc
I've owned my Camaro for 18 years and absolutely love every time I drive it. Last year I had the same thought ...buy a Corvette or put some money into the car and update the HP. After lots of thought I went with Full build on my car. (68k miles) Bottom end was freshened up, H/C/I, LT's, supporting mods, rebuilt tranny, converter, tune...the car runs beautiful, continues to put a smile on my face, no car payment, and have surprised some newer gen cars who thought they were faster lol.
that’s cool that’s how I would want my trans am just to be a killer on the street when newer cars pull up but i also wanna be that guy in the newer car lol I love driving my t/a too even though it’s just all stock I drive home from work in my Honda just to jump in my trans am and take a ride around the block
Old 03-06-2018, 09:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I'll say this if you test drive a manual trans 6th gen you will be taking it home. I've found a few low mile 1le 17 camaros for 33k in my area. If I wasn't in the middle of a remodel that would be in my driveway and one may end up there as soon as I'm done lol.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MY_2K_Z
I'll say this if you test drive a manual trans 6th gen you will be taking it home. I've found a few low mile 1le 17 camaros for 33k in my area. If I wasn't in the middle of a remodel that would be in my driveway and one may end up there as soon as I'm done lol.
I seen those too pretty cheap from 50k new to 33k used
Old 03-07-2018, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Meet in the middle - buy a modded 5th gen. Bam.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Shookws6

that’s cool that’s how I would want my trans am just to be a killer on the street when newer cars pull up but i also wanna be that guy in the newer car lol I love driving my t/a too even though it’s just all stock I drive home from work in my Honda just to jump in my trans am and take a ride around the block
I personally do not like the look of the 5th gen, the 6th gen is starting to grow on me. But there are more of them than mine on the road so I like the fact I can now poke at a stock one :
But my car isn't my daily driver either, if it were maybe I'd feel different.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

My car has always been reliable. It hasn't seen much action the last few years but the only thing that has went bad that i haven't tore up by beating on it is 1 window motor.

I like both 5 and 6 gens. They have become a more complicated car tho.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

It's a personal choice to think long and hard about. I've had my T/A since new and except for being a DD for the first 3 years (with winter hibernation) it's really been a toy. So power and 1/4 speed were the focus, while I had regular daily drivers. It was easy for the power to outweigh the rough ride, vibrations, rubbermaid interior, ho hum build quality and lack of tech.

Then I picked up an SS Sedan as a daily in '16. Just a hair quicker than a stock Fbody was, though no match in the 1/4 for a H/C T/A. But still pretty fast, with loads more comfort and far superior handling and brakes. Now the compromises of the T/A were more apparent. I started to think about swapping the 4th gen for a 6th gen (5th gens never did much for me). But stock vs the T/A, not any quicker. So I really thought long and hard about a ZL1. I could swing it, but it was a real chunk of money and new car payments (no payments on the SS Sedan and wife's car right now).

I also thought about the nostalgia of a car I had since new in '01, and lusted for back in HS the first time I saw a black 4th gen T/A. I then remembered I do like modding and the hobby aspect. And after 13 years of the same H/C setup and 11 years of a little N2O I hadn't done much to it, and really wanted to do a motor build. When you're 38 and well busy with life, these kinds of things are a nice pick me up as side fun.

So I dropped a good chunk of cash for TSP to build me a 454 that hopefully shows up tomorrow and I can start dropping in and getting the car running again. Will it work out for the better? I guess I'll find out soon. I'm hoping a <$20K motor build keeps me entertained for another 17 years and I can find a better use for the $45K more I'd have spent on a ZL1. There's some personal satisfaction in driving a car you made your own, even if the factory built one just as fast with a warranty.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

If you want to be unique & different, keep your car and mod it properly, don't cut corners.

I doubt your ever going to see a new WS6 coming out of a GM factory in our lifetime.