General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

WARNING: Do not buy from MARYLAND SPEED!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 11:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Z Fury
I just don't get it. You can make a KILLING in today's world running an honest business. Why people feel the need to cut corners, especially to this degree, just blows my mind.
Simple, the law allows them to. These small to mid level businesses know they can scam people and there are no consequences. Cops will say it's a civil matter, so you take them to small claims, get a judgement, and then they don't pay. Eventually they'll get a bad reputation, shut down, then be right back in business under a different name. Honor and integrity are the only things stopping people from scamming, and those are in short supply these days.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

It was bound to happen sooner or later.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NEstyle
Hell yeah! State files charges against Maryland Speed!
https://somd.com/news/headlines/2018/22967.php
Hopefully they will go down. I waited 3 months for them to ship HP Tuners before I did a charge back. They tried to scare me by saying not to do it because they would win.. What kind of company says things like that?
Old 09-07-2018, 01:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

A simple business model of selling aftermarket performance parts and somehow MS manages to F it up......
Old 09-07-2018, 02:39 PM
Teching In

Worth noting, if you had an issue with them you can reach out to the AG in Maryland and they will add it to the case. I wouldn't be expecting any reparations out of this, but it'll help build the case.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:49 PM
Teching In

If you had an ongoing issue with them you can reach out to the Maryland AG with your supporting info and they will add it to the case. I wouldn't bank on any reparations, but it'll help them get what they deserve.
Old 09-07-2018, 04:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SmilesPerGallon
If you had an ongoing issue with them you can reach out to the Maryland AG with your supporting info and they will add it to the case. I wouldn't bank on any reparations, but it'll help them get what they deserve.
Well - First post here, unfortunately under similar circumstances - ordered a Kooks exhaust back in May, runaround by Brandon, product never delivered. Demanded a refund and no reply from him. I filed a dispute with Visa to get a refund on Aug 24th 2018. No refund as of yet. Now wondering in light of the recent charges how that dispute/refund will unfold? I will post updates of my progress. If anyone has received a Visa dispute refund lately I would be interested in knowing details of timing/process etc.

Pete
Old 09-10-2018, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

As someone said in another thread, a safe thing to do is try and order from ebay or amazon, they both watch out for the consumers. Or again, a company that accepts paypal. Paypal is also big on consumer protection. It sucks, but it is what it is.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:29 AM

I ordered a pair of Kooks long tubes not coated on the first week of August 2018, I Was charged as soon as the next day. I gave them a month to update my order status and nothing. I gave them a call and they had said they were a couple weeks out, so I waited another 3 weeks and received nothing. I filed a CC dispute and within a week and half received a conditional refund. A letter stating that the merchant could file the charge back within 60 days, and if they didn’t then the case would be finalized. I also filed a claim with Attorney General of Maryland.The Consumer protection division. Hopefully all this gets resolved quick with their court date coming up in December.

Originally Posted by pete7112

Well - First post here, unfortunately under similar circumstances - ordered a Kooks exhaust back in May, runaround by Brandon, product never delivered. Demanded a refund and no reply from him. I filed a dispute with Visa to get a refund on Aug 24th 2018. No refund as of yet. Now wondering in light of the recent charges how that dispute/refund will unfold? I will post updates of my progress. If anyone has received a Visa dispute refund lately I would be interested in knowing details of timing/process etc.

Pete
Old 11-20-2018, 02:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered some Hawk rear brake pads from Maryland Speed back in May as part of a brake/wheel upgrade for my Chevelle. I forgot about the pads for a couple months then sent an email to customer service. They said they'd look into it but never followed up. I waited a while and by the time I remembered, it was too late to file a credit card dispute online and I forgot about the order again. Earlier this month, the pads showed up unannounced. I figured that was it, but I just received this email today. Hopefully this means everyone else will have a chance at actually getting their order or some sort of refund.

Old 12-24-2018, 01:25 PM
Teching In

I've had issues with Maryland speed too never going back
Old 01-01-2019, 10:46 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

This has been a disappointing read. I bought my Kooks from Maryland Speed in 2005-2006 and had a great experince. Who is the go to vendor for Kooks stuff these days?
Old 01-02-2019, 10:11 AM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

State Announces Settlement with Hollywood-based Maryland Speed - Southern Maryland Headline News

BALTIMORE (December 6, 2018)—Maryland Attorney General Brian E. Frosh today announced that his Consumer Protection Division has settled charges against Maryland Speed LLC (Maryland Speed), an online retailer specializing in the sale of auto parts, and its owner, Branden Farthing.

Charges against Maryland Speed and Farthing were initially brought in September 2018, and alleged that the retailer, based in Hollywood, Maryland, violated the Consumer Protection Act when it accepted payments for parts that it failed to provide to customers and refused to issue refunds. According to the settlement, at least 671 consumers placed orders with Maryland Speed but never received their purchased parts. Although many consumers were able to get refunds by contesting the charges on their credit cards, according to the Consent Order, at least 235 of those consumers are owed refunds totaling at least $220,877.14.

The settlement requires Maryland Speed to stop selling parts it cannot provide and to provide the Consumer Protection Division with a $100,000.00 surety bond if it continues doing business in Maryland. The company and Farthing must also return all of the monies they owe to consumers and pay penalties and costs to the Division in the amount of $100,000.00, which may be reduced if full refunds are made to consumers.

"This case demonstrates exactly why the Maryland Consumer Protection Act is so important," said Attorney General Frosh. "Without the protections of the Act, customers who did not receive purchased goods from Maryland Speed, and were also denied refunds, had little recourse. Affected customers will now be able to obtain some restitution."

In making today's announcement, Attorney General Frosh thanked Consumer Protection Division Deputy Chief Philip Ziperman, Administrator Hanna Abrams, and Investigators Chris Waldt and Patrick Tormey for their work on the case.

Consumers who are owed refunds from Maryland Speed may call the Consumer Protection hotline at 410-528-8662 or 888-743-0023.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

^Glad to see something actually happen to a crocked vendor for a change.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:02 PM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Excellent news.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:19 AM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Karma is a bitch. Ordered a Corsa exhaust thru them last year and went thru all this BS that it is in stock ready to ship, and then come to find out they are not even an authorized reseller of Corsa.

Made a paypal claim, and Branden lashed out at me. I finally did get the exhaust but it took about 4 months of going back and forth for something that Corsa had on the shelf (I called them to verify is MS was a reseller which they are not).
Old 05-01-2019, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

https://www.somdnews.com/enterprise/...ign=user-share
Old 05-01-2019, 09:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Took long enough. Hopefully the crooks get some jail time.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:27 PM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Awesome, get what they deserve for ripping people off!
Old 10-29-2019, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Sounds like some bullshit that jegs be pulling, talkin bout in stock now , but then they take your money and say it's on back order, .......that's why I only **** with summit when it comes to the big names.....this Maryland speed on the other hand is a joke, im suprised nobody burnt that place to the ground, sounds like the owner needs a good *** whoopin too!!! Glad I don't live on the wack *** east coast. ...