General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

New guy with questions about my 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 09:39 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New guy with questions about my 6.0

hey guys,

i just got got a new to me 07 Silverado max with the 6.0 in it and had a few questions! Hopefully I’m in the right spot!

so I have an afm lifter that has failed and after reading how incredibly common it is for them to fail I have decided to take them out and get the afm deleted all together! From what I have read you must replace the cam when you do all the lifters!

My my question is when I replace my cam to a “non afm” cam will I have to eliminate my vvt as well? (Sorry if that’s a dumb question)

my plan is to buy all the lifters,cam,timing chain and all other necessary gaskets and misc parts needed to do this job! Just wondering if anyone has any advice on exactly what cam I need to buy and any other tips or suggestions while I’m in there! Over all I’m happy with how the truck performs as it’s my daily runner! The only other thing is I do tow a 20ft fishing boat with it quite a bit!

i am on a budget so I’m not looking to spend a ton of money but if there is any suggestions or tips on what to do while I’m in there that would improve the performance of the Motor and not kill my gas mileage more than it is I’m all for it cuz who doesn’t like a little more power.....lol.

thabks for taking time to read my post and any advice is appreciated

thanks
Old 04-27-2018, 02:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Bassbum
hey guys,

i just got got a new to me 07 Silverado max with the 6.0 in it and had a few questions! Hopefully I’m in the right spot!

so I have an afm lifter that has failed and after reading how incredibly common it is for them to fail I have decided to take them out and get the afm deleted all together! From what I have read you must replace the cam when you do all the lifters!

My my question is when I replace my cam to a “non afm” cam will I have to eliminate my vvt as well? (Sorry if that’s a dumb question)

my plan is to buy all the lifters,cam,timing chain and all other necessary gaskets and misc parts needed to do this job! Just wondering if anyone has any advice on exactly what cam I need to buy and any other tips or suggestions while I’m in there! Over all I’m happy with how the truck performs as it’s my daily runner! The only other thing is I do tow a 20ft fishing boat with it quite a bit!

i am on a budget so I’m not looking to spend a ton of money but if there is any suggestions or tips on what to do while I’m in there that would improve the performance of the Motor and not kill my gas mileage more than it is I’m all for it cuz who doesn’t like a little more power.....lol.

thabks for taking time to read my post and any advice is appreciated

thanks

I haven't looked into cams for your situation enough to know if you can do a non AFM and keep VVT. I would keep VVT if there is an option to do so. I would call texas speed, cam motion, and BTR and discuss your goals with them.

I would opt for a drop in truck cam so you can retain your stock valve springs and pushrods. The drop in truck cams also retain the most low end torque that you'll want in a truck, especially since you tow.

While the heads are off it would be good to carry them to the machine shop and have the decks checked for flatness, and also have them do a quick check of the valves (sealing) and replace the seals while they are off.

If it doesn't cost too much a bowl blend and a valve job helps a ton and is a big part of the power gained when you do ported heads. A guy recently posted 25hp gains on the engine dyno from a bowl blend and valve job on other wise stock heads.