General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Missing tool

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 06:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Missing tool

Hello,

I feel really stupid asking this but are there any tips or tricks to finding lost tools in the engine bay /suspension area?

I successfully changed my plugs and wires but while doing so I lost a 1 inch swivel and I cant seem to locate it. I went for a drive to ensure the plug and wire install went well and I can hear it rattling around down there. After I was done the install I put it up on stands and tried to feel around but I wasn't successful. I'm afraid I'm not going to find it and I'm going to have that rattling for a long time.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-23-2018, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Lol, been there. I dropped a socket in the engine bay of my 92 Mustang many years ago. I could hear it rattle around for years but never found it. It wasn't too bad because wherever it was it would rattle then stop for a few weeks then come back for a day or two, over and over. Good luck.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Just add a 3 inch exhaust with a cutout and cam and you will never notice it again.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Probably wedged between the cradle and the block. Get under the car and reach up over the cradle and slide your hand around. Just be sure you don't cut yourself or get it stuck.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:09 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Lol, been there. I dropped a socket in the engine bay of my 92 Mustang many years ago. I could hear it rattle around for years but never found it. It wasn't too bad because wherever it was it would rattle then stop for a few weeks then come back for a day or two, over and over. Good luck.
Lol you have more patience than me. I already felt around but I did that after my first time doing the plugs to a tune of 6 hrs! So I was pretty tired and frustrated.

I need to tackle the search fresh. At least I can narrow to the passenger side around #8 plug.

I was thinking of buying, renting or trying to find someone that has a telescopic inspection camera? Those ones with the little light.. If all else fails I'm sure I'll see it with one of those.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 357 Likes on 248 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

You could try changing your front sway bar bushings.
That worked for me. Found my favorite flashlight this spring that I lost a couple seasons ago.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Found a shops trouble light wedged between my jeeps exhaust and intake when it started on fire while I was driving. Was exciting for a few mins till I pulled over popped the hood found the fire and put it out. Snap on shop light was toast.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Harbor Freight has a inexpensive telescopic inspection camera. My buddy had one and I was surprised it worked well.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

I have the harbor freight inspection camera. It works great once you get it figured out. I always have to spend the first 10 minutes getting my brain to sync up with what I'm seeing lol
Old 07-25-2018, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Is the swivel really worth all this trouble???
Old 07-27-2018, 08:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2ToeRacing
Is the swivel really worth all this trouble???
haha it's not the tool I'm worried about my friend. It's the click clank that I hear driving down the road..

Good news is.. I got it out! It was stuck in the header collectors and I couldn't see it from my vantage point on my back, while underneath the vehicle with jack stands. I brought it to a shop and they put it on the hoist and found it in 2 mins.

Quick Reply: Missing tool