General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

How much will a stock 5.3 take?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018 | 11:03 PM
Teching In

Default How much will a stock 5.3 take?

Alright, so I’m swapping a 5.3 into an s10, Doing everything wrong, and trying to make it work right. I’m buying a cheap 72mm Ebay turbo, cheap wastegate, good BOV, and plan on strapping all that to a dead stock 5.3. The truck is gonna weigh roughly 3600 with me in it, and I plan on mid to low 11’s. I’ve heard of valves floating around 10-12 pounds, so should I go for PAC springs? Good head gaskets? What’s the absolute cheapest and easiest for me to make this motor handle the power for a year or two until my legit motor is done. Also, 80e...should it be fine with just a shift kit? Who would you recommend for a cheap converter? Give me all the tips and tricks. Thanks guys
Old 08-23-2018 | 06:08 AM
12 Second Club

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp...g-bang-theory/
Old 08-23-2018 | 08:51 AM
Launching!

I read a article in car craft thet stuck one in a s10 and the article was about how much abuse a stock 5.3 can take they ran it up to 30 pounds of boost before it let loose and i thought they got like 200 passes out of it
Old 08-29-2018 | 10:39 PM
Teching In

You should watch matt happel's sloppy mechanics vids on YouTube..... insane stuff out of 4.8/5.3/6.0's with a PAC 1218, sloppy stage 2 cam, and big snails.
Old 08-29-2018 | 11:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Racecaralex
heard of valves floating around 10-12 pounds,
I don’t know where you’re getting your information from but boost has absolutely nothing to do with valve float. Clearly you’re reading something wrong or you have selective hearing. RPM is where valve float comes into play, not boost. Seems your screen name is over reaching a bit.
Old 08-30-2018 | 08:53 AM
12 Second Club

Boost most certainly plays a part in valve float. Pressure hits the back of the valve and works against the spring. Seat pressure is reduced by the amount of boost vs area of the valve. IE:seat pressure = 100 and boost is 10 psi. If valve is 2.00" then seat pressure is reduced to 80psi. I'm not sure thats the right formula but you get the idea. When its open there is a lot more math involved.
Old 09-01-2018 | 03:52 PM
TECH Junkie
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 8.Lug

I don’t know where you’re getting your information from but boost has absolutely nothing to do with valve float. Clearly you’re reading something wrong or you have selective hearing. RPM is where valve float comes into play, not boost. Seems your screen name is over reaching a bit.
lol you should just stop giving answers/advice to things you know nothing about !
Old 09-05-2018 | 05:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
lol you should just stop giving answers/advice to things you know nothing about !
Originally Posted by Jenson
Boost most certainly plays a part in valve float. Pressure hits the back of the valve and works against the spring. Seat pressure is reduced by the amount of boost vs area of the valve. IE:seat pressure = 100 and boost is 10 psi. If valve is 2.00" then seat pressure is reduced to 80psi. I'm not sure thats the right formula but you get the idea. When its open there is a lot more math involved.
What in the flying fck does seat pressure have to do with valve float? Low seat pressure can induce BOUNCE, but not float - and no amount of boost can cause one to float when it's open because the pressure is equalized on both sides of the valve when it's open. You two are also forgetting that there's a lot of pressure inside that cylinder at all times from exhaust gases, compression forces or the very intake charge that was just forced in there. Plain and simple - you're not experiencing valve float from boost - you're experiencing it from a general lack of control from your valvetrain. It's you two that clearly don't know anything.
Old 09-05-2018 | 07:06 AM
Restricted User

What in the flying fck does seat pressure have to do with valve float? Low seat pressure can induce BOUNCE, but not float - and no amount of boost can cause one to float when it's open because the pressure is equalized on both sides of the valve when it's open. You two are also forgetting that there's a lot of pressure inside that cylinder at all times from exhaust gases, compression forces or the very intake charge that was just forced in there. Plain and simple - you're not experiencing valve float from boost - you're experiencing it from a general lack of control from your valvetrain. It's you two that clearly don't know anything.
You're grasping at straws. Valve bounce and valve float are basically the same thing. Bounce is grouped into the 'valve float' category by most builders.
I always wondered what happened to KingTal0n.
Old 09-05-2018 | 05:32 PM
TECH Junkie
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by JoeNova
I always wondered what happened to KingTal0n.
Get rid of one and another pops up....Always someone to take their place lol

Old 09-05-2018 | 05:38 PM
TECH Junkie
10 Year Member

If the pressure were equalized on both sides of the valve then no air would flow into the cylinder on an NA engine right? And there would be no Vacuum in the intake right? We all know that's not the case at all lol Not to mention what happens under boost.

"Lot of pressure inside the cylinder at all times"....Where do people come up with this **** lol
Old 09-05-2018 | 09:40 PM
TECH Resident

Depends on a lot of things but ive seen reliable 600 rwhp with upgraded valvetrain and cam. 6-8 psi seems like a good number with anything over 12 to be a ticking time bomb.
Old 09-05-2018 | 10:14 PM
TECH Junkie
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by NeedaV8foundation
Depends on a lot of things but ive seen reliable 600 rwhp with upgraded valvetrain and cam. 6-8 psi seems like a good number with anything over 12 to be a ticking time bomb.
Plenty live well beyond 12psi, It's all in nailing the tune and keeping everything consistent.
I'm at 10psi and plan to make a pulley change this winter that should get me into the 12-14 psi range, I run E85 so I feel comfortable at that range. Honestly I wouldn't even bother spending the money to go boosted unless I was making at least 8psi.

Old 09-06-2018 | 06:29 AM
12 Second Club

As I said the math for open pressure is a lot more involved, but the same principle applies, and open pressures are what control float. For your simple mind we can use the easy equation, LS3 springs have 265# open pressure, so at 10 psi you have 245#. You are correct that at 10 psi your probably ok, on a stock cam and new LS3 springs. Depending on the year the truck springs are not LS6/LS3 springs and they probably have at least 150k miles on them. So you may only have 230# open pressure now, leaving you at 210# after adding 10 psi of boost. This is where people get in trouble. New LS3 springs are like $75 from summit. Cheap insurance on a stock cam and low boost IMO

So, to the OP, LS9 head gaskets, gap the rings for boost, throw some new LS3 springs on it, E85 tune, and let it eat. What trans are you going with?
Old 09-06-2018 | 06:59 AM
9 Second Club

I’d throw pac 1218 and maybe a cam, that’s all you need.
Old 09-06-2018 | 07:28 AM
Restricted User

Seat pressure is typically more of an issue in turbo setups than open pressure. Most OEM springs have low seat pressure that gets reduced even further by boost, so the force of the intake valve hitting the seat at high RPM causes it to bounce back open. This is still technically valve float.
Old 09-06-2018 | 07:41 AM
9 Second Club

Also imo 12 lbs of boost is nowhere near a ticking time bomb
Old 09-06-2018 | 07:52 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 80/TA/LT1
Also imo 12 lbs of boost is nowhere near a ticking time bomb
Right. If that was the case, all of my time bombs probably need the batteries checked because they've been ticking for years lol.
Old 09-06-2018 | 09:17 AM
12 Second Club

OP said cheap as possible though without blowing it up. Stock cam and LS3 springs will work just fine for 10 psi. So will stock gap rings, TTY head bolts, and completely stock rotating assy for that matter as long as it runs fine N/A and doesnt have issues. Hence my very first post in this thread. If it was me, I'd inspect the center main bearing and leave the bottom end alone if it looked good. If doing new head gaskets I'd also throw LS3 springs with new valve seals in it, a set of new LS7 lifters (old 5.3 lifters driven by mom who never changed the oil tend to be full of sludge) and trays, new gaskets (front/rear cover and oil pan) new HP oil pump, and a new stock chain. If I wanted it to live for 2 years and beat the snot out of it. We all know that 10 psi will become 15-18 next year lol
Old 09-16-2018 | 07:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jenson
OP said cheap as possible though without blowing it up. Stock cam and LS3 springs will work just fine for 10 psi. So will stock gap rings, TTY head bolts, and completely stock rotating assy for that matter as long as it runs fine N/A and doesnt have issues. Hence my very first post in this thread. If it was me, I'd inspect the center main bearing and leave the bottom end alone if it looked good. If doing new head gaskets I'd also throw LS3 springs with new valve seals in it, a set of new LS7 lifters (old 5.3 lifters driven by mom who never changed the oil tend to be full of sludge) and trays, new gaskets (front/rear cover and oil pan) new HP oil pump, and a new stock chain. If I wanted it to live for 2 years and beat the snot out of it. We all know that 10 psi will become 15-18 next year lol
thank you man. I forgot to mention that I’m being lazy with this motor. Pistons are not leaving the cylinder bores, and that’s a fact. That’s a good idea to throw a set of lifters in, as we all know about the dreaded LS....I mean lifter tick. I had planned to check the main, and that’s about it. And about the “growth” of boost...yep....That’s a given, lol