General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Driving feel - 2002 TransAm vs 2004 GTO vs 2010 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 11:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving feel - 2002 TransAm vs 2004 GTO vs 2010 Camaro

Hello folks! I'm about to be looking for a new old car because my wife recently wrecked my 2004 GTO and I was wanting to get some first hand info from anyone that has driven a GTO and also a 4th Gen Trans Am and/or one of the new Camaros. One of the things I really hated about the GTO was that the rear visibility was horrible, and also that I sometime hit my head on the roof getting in (I'm 50 years old, 6 foot and 250 pounds). I can live with that but if the 4th Gen TA's are a lot worse then that might be a problem. Just looking at them it looks like rear visibility may be better than the GTO. Not sure about the new Camaro but if anyone has any input I am considering one of those as a backup option. I would really prefer a 2001-2002 WS6 Trans Am though. The visibility on my GTO was so bad that I could only use about half of the view available in the rear view mirror and at a stoplight I could barely see the hood of cars behind me. I even though about taking off the rear wing to get a few more inches of visibility. I did briefly test drive a ragged out Trans Am a few years ago, I think it was a 1996, and it felt like I was sitting on the floor, but I could get used to that if everything else was good. I have owned several 2nd gen Trans Am's in the past, but they seemed to have more in common with the GTO than the 4th gen TA's (window controls on the center console!). Anyway, any information on general driving experience that anyone has would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:07 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

I'm 6' 3" and 250 and never had any issue with headroom or seating comfort. However, the low seating position and the doors that open all the way into the next zip code can make entry and exit awkward with arthritic knees and/or tight parking spaces. I got used to parking next to an island whenever one was available in a parking lot so that I could swing the door wide. Visibility out the back was quite good even though the high wing was always in your field of vision. I've driven the new style Camaro and it feels like being in a tank turret in comparison... the windows are so small you have to turn a large drink sideways to get it in at a drive-thru . Of the three options you mention, I would definitely go with the WS6.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

I can't comment on the new gto, but 4th gens have surprisingly decent visibility. They are low to the ground but you get used to it. My friend has a 2013 camaro and visibility is pretty bad.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:40 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

The visibility outside a 4th gen is pretty fair. The A-pillars aren't as thick as some modern cars. The doors are long, meaning there's good over the shoulder visibility compared with sedans with shorter doors and B-pillars. Rear visibility is quite good, especially in a Formula with the low spoiler.

The sail panel pillar is thick. However, the only time I find it to be an issue is when backing out of tight parking spaces. You have to ease out cautiously and hope for the best because you just can't see if there is oncoming traffic.

But with the t-tops off, plane spotting is quite excellent
Old 08-24-2018, 05:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Nathan C
I can't comment on the new gto, but 4th gens have surprisingly decent visibility. They are low to the ground but you get used to it. My friend has a 2013 camaro and visibility is pretty bad.
Speaking of being low to the ground, sometimes when you are in the left turn lane and there is a larger vehicle ahead of you (Tahoe, semi, etc) you pretty much have to lag behind so you can see over it to notice if the turn light is still green.
I sometimes drive a Camry and although it isn't much taller than my lowered TA I don't have that problem as often.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

as oters had mentioned the blind spot visibility in the f body is better than the GTO and 5th gen Camaro. the GTO blind spot visibility is also better than the Camaro. so basically it's 4th gen>GTO>5th gen. the 5th gen side windows also sit higher when you're in the seat making it difficult if you want to rest your arm out the window.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:44 AM
Teching In

Sounds like the 4thGen Trans Am is going to be what I'm looking for, with the best visibility apparently, and I definitely don't want something with high windows - I'm driving a 2008 accord v6 coupe right now, and the window sills sit a lot higher than in the GTO and my wife hates it. Front wheel drive isn't all that fun either, seems like those front wheels have more to do than they can handle. Anyway, thanks for all the replies!
Old 08-24-2018, 11:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Biggest issue with the 4th gen is getting out. Mine is lowered a little and I'm basically using the sill plate to push myself up when I get out. The fiancee pulls herself out by the door and the side bolster while I cringe. It's actually the reasons I don't drive it more. Maybe if my knees worked better it wouldn't be a problem, but I wouldn't know.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bammax
Biggest issue with the 4th gen is getting out. Mine is lowered a little and I'm basically using the sill plate to push myself up when I get out. The fiancee pulls herself out by the door and the side bolster while I cringe. It's actually the reasons I don't drive it more. Maybe if my knees worked better it wouldn't be a problem, but I wouldn't know.
Defitnitely won't lower it, in fact I got a lot of crap from the GTO guys when I got new springs to restore the factory ride height rather than lowering springs. I want to be able to drive quickly wherever I go and that includes going over bumps and dips. That was one thing I liked about the 70's trans ams was that you could hit dips at 40mph without the slightest bit of scraping or drama.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:43 PM
Launching!

Im 6’2” and i dont have any problems getting out of my trans am. Visability is good the only time it is bad is if im making a left from a rd that angles left i cant really see to my right to see if traffic is comming so when i pull up to the stop sign i turn the car alittle to the right and i can see fine if that makes sense
Old 08-25-2018, 11:10 PM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by bammax
That's actually proper technique Left hand on the sill plate and roll out. The uninitiated, like your fiancee and my wife, don't get it, and thus succumb to all sorts of contortions getting out.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:15 PM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by DeathTongue
Defitnitely won't lower it, in fact I got a lot of crap from the GTO guys when I got new springs to restore the factory ride height rather than lowering springs. I want to be able to drive quickly wherever I go and that includes going over bumps and dips. That was one thing I liked about the 70's trans ams was that you could hit dips at 40mph without the slightest bit of scraping or drama.
Lowering isn't as much of a factor when it comes to bumps, dips, and scrapes as shocks. Good shocks will control body motions so that such encounters will be rare, if encountered at all.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Just another note, but from a 'vert owner. Convertibles have poor visibility, especially the blind spots which are even worse than in a normal car. Just in case you come across one and it interested you. I have also driven the new Camaros but they drive a bit 'big' for me. That was my take with them anyway and why I don't own one. Good luck with your search!
Old 08-27-2018, 06:53 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Convertibles have flawless visibility... when the top is down.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

Driving feel - 2002 TransAm vs 2004 GTO vs 2010 Camaro

I think there is one other car that is worth considering given the cars listed above. Pontiac G8/Chevrolet SS

One of my close friends pondered the same question He has a 00 FireHawk and still likes it. The 5th Gen Camaro lost all appeal after he drove one. Poor visibility, uncomfortable with the window down and putting arm out window, drove like a heavy car. That my experience with the 5th Gen as well.

He like the GTO better in all regards but not quite enough to buy one. He's 6' 4" and didn't like entry exit.

He wasn't a big fan of the G8's looks at first ​​​​​​but then he drove a G8. It was definitely the car for him. I honestly think he was more excited and happy the day he got the G8 than the day he got his 2nd Gen 78 Trans Am.

His choice of cars to drive were as follows:

2011 Corvette 6 speed
78 Trans Am 4 speed
00 FireHawk 6 speed Magnum transmission
01 Silverado
09 G8
18 2SS Camaro
97 LT1 Ram Air Trans Am six speed

The 97 Ram Air & 2011 Corvette got sold a few months after the G8 was bought. He never drove them anymore
He choose to take the G8 every where. Likewise, the 78 TA & 00 FireHawk typically spend more time on the battery trickle charger now than ever before because he picks the G8 to go everywhere. It rains enough that the Silverado stays off the battery charger. It's very likely when the new wares off the 18 2SS it's going on a trickle charger like the other cars. He talks about maybe getting a second G8...

I suggest finding a good condition G8 and driving it before making a purchase given the other cars being considered.

Old 09-02-2018, 02:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

The good thing about the GTO and G8 is that all the info you could ever want is easy to find since the aussies are huge car nuts and speak English. Cruising around the Holden forums will make you appreciate the cars even more than if you think of them as Pontiac and stick to the American forums.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:41 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second the G8. You think it’s a giant 4 door sedan but once you get behind the wheel you’ll be pleasantly surprised. So much room and still lightning quick
Old 09-29-2018, 08:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

Death Tongue, have you decided on a car? Of so which one?
Old 10-06-2018, 10:41 AM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Not a solution for all visibility issues, but it DEFINITELY helps when trying to back out of parking spots is installing a Double DIN stereo and back up camera. I'd never had a back up camera until I bought my '15 Equinox and even then I didn't think much of it or that I would use it. I learned quickly how nice it is to have! I switched over to a Double DIN head unit in my Camaro and added a back up camera and it sure makes life easier in parking lots or even parallel parking! The Firebird is easier to install a Double DIN into over the Camaro and a little cheaper too since the kit for the Firebird is cheaper.

Here's a link to my Double DIN install along with how my back up camera is installed:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...t-no-gaps.html
Old 10-12-2018, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by DeathTongue
Hello folks! I'm about to be looking for a new old car because my wife recently wrecked my 2004 GTO and I was wanting to get some first hand info from anyone that has driven a GTO and also a 4th Gen Trans Am and/or one of the new Camaros. One of the things I really hated about the GTO was that the rear visibility was horrible, and also that I sometime hit my head on the roof getting in (I'm 50 years old, 6 foot and 250 pounds). I can live with that but if the 4th Gen TA's are a lot worse then that might be a problem. Just looking at them it looks like rear visibility may be better than the GTO. Not sure about the new Camaro but if anyone has any input I am considering one of those as a backup option. I would really prefer a 2001-2002 WS6 Trans Am though. The visibility on my GTO was so bad that I could only use about half of the view available in the rear view mirror and at a stoplight I could barely see the hood of cars behind me. I even though about taking off the rear wing to get a few more inches of visibility. I did briefly test drive a ragged out Trans Am a few years ago, I think it was a 1996, and it felt like I was sitting on the floor, but I could get used to that if everything else was good. I have owned several 2nd gen Trans Am's in the past, but they seemed to have more in common with the GTO than the 4th gen TA's (window controls on the center console!). Anyway, any information on general driving experience that anyone has would be greatly appreciated.
Then forget about a 2010 Camaro.... the visibility on those are even worse.

I knew guy that was 6'8 that tilted his seat such that his head was by the rear 6x9. All you saw was this long arm extending from the backseat to the steering wheel, but it worked.