General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Build direction?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 01:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build direction?

I'm reaching an odd place in my build in which I don't want to push it too much further in one direction (Drag). I dont want a cage or to have it no longer able to get ice cram easily. I always say the thing I love most about my car is it doesn't do any one thing great, it's not the most enjoyable street car, not the best drag car, and just an OK road course car, but I can do them all.

So my question for you is what direction did you go with your build? Do you have any regrets in going too far or not far enough with it? When do you consider it "done"?

Just a general question/ conversation.
Old 08-31-2018, 02:07 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Project cars are never done for me. Always something to do, some way to go faster.... Why not leave it as it is and buy another car strictly for drag/autocross?
Old 08-31-2018, 03:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Well considering I have about 600 horsepower at the wheels, but still a stock 10 bolt....yeah I need to get around to getting a better rear lol. I hear you though, mine can do a bit of everything (except launch hard with traction lol) but doesn't excel at one thing in particular. Except maybe roll racing...its a beast at that
Old 08-31-2018, 03:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Fuhnortoner
Project cars are never done for me. Always something to do, some way to go faster.... Why not leave it as it is and buy another car strictly for drag/autocross?
dont really have time, money, or space for another project. i'm happy overall but this is the first time I've not have a 20 point list of projects.
Old 08-31-2018, 03:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Well considering I have about 600 horsepower at the wheels, but still a stock 10 bolt....yeah I need to get around to getting a better rear lol. I hear you though, mine can do a bit of everything (except launch hard with traction lol) but doesn't excel at one thing in particular. Except maybe roll racing...its a beast at that
thankfully I got my hands on a 9" though for a 3rd gen its still better than a stocker any day.
we still need to meet up sometime being were so close.
Old 08-31-2018, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig Chamboullides
thankfully I got my hands on a 9" though for a 3rd gen its still better than a stocker any day.
we still need to meet up sometime being were so close.
Yeah let me know man. Might hit Bakers this Sunday, and definitely the big Frankenmuth show the weekend after
Old 09-01-2018, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig Chamboullides
I'm reaching an odd place in my build in which I don't want to push it too much further in one direction (Drag). I dont want a cage or to have it no longer able to get ice cram easily. I always say the thing I love most about my car is it doesn't do any one thing great, it's not the most enjoyable street car, not the best drag car, and just an OK road course car, but I can do them all.

So my question for you is what direction did you go with your build? Do you have any regrets in going too far or not far enough with it? When do you consider it "done"?

Just a general question/ conversation.
I'm considering going with an LQ9 stroked to 408 with TFS 220 heads and a single or twin turbo. At that point to really justify spending the money to make it go fast I'll need a MWC 9" with spool, TH400, and a 10 point cage along with dominator ECM. There goes the street-ability but there's something to be said about a car than runs a 8.5 sec pass that you DROVE to the track and then entering it into the car show and winning best in show. In the end, such a situation is still not as good as having a dedicated track car and a dedicated weekend street car.
Old 09-01-2018, 01:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.7stroker
I'm considering going with an LQ9 stroked to 408 with TFS 220 heads and a single or twin turbo. At that point to really justify spending the money to make it go fast I'll need a MWC 9" with spool, TH400, and a 10 point cage along with dominator ECM. There goes the street-ability but there's something to be said about a car than runs a 8.5 sec pass that you DROVE to the track and then entering it into the car show and winning best in show. In the end, such a situation is still not as good as having a dedicated track car and a dedicated weekend street car.
Run a strong posi instead of a spool and a 4l80 instead of a 400 and you don't lose any streetability. If you don't do much highway driving then the 400 isn't really as bad as people think on the street. I ran a 400 in my old Buick and it was great under 60 mph. Over 60 and the higher rpms killed the mileage along with my eardrums lol.
Old 09-01-2018, 01:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by bammax
Run a strong posi instead of a spool and a 4l80 instead of a 400 and you don't lose any streetability. If you don't do much highway driving then the 400 isn't really as bad as people think on the street. I ran a 400 in my old Buick and it was great under 60 mph. Over 60 and the higher rpms killed the mileage along with my eardrums lol.
All this was considered and I already have a Dana S60 with an S trac but was told that 1000 hp is a no go on that and a spool is needed. Was told that a level 5 4l80 won't last on a 1000 hp setup.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.7stroker
All this was considered and I already have a Dana S60 with an S trac but was told that 1000 hp is a no go on that and a spool is needed. Was told that a level 5 4l80 won't last on a 1000 hp setup.
I'd spend more time checking the appropriate subforums and see what people are seeing first hand. An auto is usually easier on a rear and can give you a safety net, but the posi can still get hurt if you're over powering it. The trans itself can handle the power if built right, but most of the places that build crate transmissions nowadays aren't very good builders. It's really a matter of finding the right setup and getting the right builder. There are pros and cons to any setup so find what works for you and go for it.