General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Turbo swb or not

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 07:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo swb or not

hey guys i have a swb 91 silverado recently did a lq4/4l80e swap in it and i thinking about doing a turbo build in it but i dont know if itd be worth it in the truck. I was also thinking about starting a c5 project so not sure if i should save the money on the new project or dump it in the truck. I love the truck but the weight gets to me a little bit thanks in advance guys!
Old 09-02-2018, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

A 2wd 91 Silverado shorty is about 3,400 pounds while a 99 vette is about 3,200. Throw some lighter wheels on along with a fiberglass hood and you're getting close to even. If you swap the lq4 block for an aluminum LS block you drop around 100 pounds more and all your accessories swap over which makes it much easier than you'd think. The real question is what are you looking to do when the project is done. That'll tell you what to do.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:39 AM
Teching In

Wow not far off at all on the weight size! For some reason i thought it was like 4500 i think is was something i read online but i have done some weight reduction mods to it already without even thinking about it lol. And Well the plan for now is to have it as a dd but i work out of a service van for work so technically thats my daily driver so the truck will come out 4 times a week or so if that with maybe like 2 days out of the month at the track. I already have a bunch of money in this sucker so i think ill just keep it going lol and not to often do you see a fast truck where i live. And i was thinking about swapping to a 6.0 aluminum block but wasnt sure on if the iron block would handle boost better. Thanks for the response man!
Old 09-02-2018, 11:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 547 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by bammax
A 2wd 91 Silverado shorty is about 3,400 pounds while a 99 vette is about 3,200. Throw some lighter wheels on along with a fiberglass hood and you're getting close to even. If you swap the lq4 block for an aluminum LS block you drop around 100 pounds more and all your accessories swap over which makes it much easier than you'd think. The real question is what are you looking to do when the project is done. That'll tell you what to do.
so let’s see. A vette is mostly fiberglass. Aluminum suspension components for lighter weight. Aluminum engine.
The truck is full frame. Steel body. Stamped steel suspension components. Nothing done to make it any lighter. Iron block and heads. And it weighs 200lbs more? Wow. Chevy really wasted their time on the corvette trying to make it lighter. Lol. I’m pretty sure that truck weighs at least 4000lbs.

But yea. Turbo it. Why not? I’d turbo my new truck if it didn’t void the warranty lol.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Mberumen316
Wow not far off at all on the weight size! For some reason i thought it was like 4500 i think is was something i read online but i have done some weight reduction mods to it already without even thinking about it lol. And Well the plan for now is to have it as a dd but i work out of a service van for work so technically thats my daily driver so the truck will come out 4 times a week or so if that with maybe like 2 days out of the month at the track. I already have a bunch of money in this sucker so i think ill just keep it going lol and not to often do you see a fast truck where i live. And i was thinking about swapping to a 6.0 aluminum block but wasnt sure on if the iron block would handle boost better. Thanks for the response man!
don’t believe that truck only weighs 3400lbs. In a quick search I found that the stripped down v6 model has a curb weight of 3722lbs. If you have the truck running and driving then just drive it to a truck stop and weigh it. I’d wager it weighs 4000ish with you in it.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Kfxguy

don’t believe that truck only weighs 3400lbs. In a quick search I found that the stripped down v6 model has a curb weight of 3722lbs. If you have the truck running and driving then just drive it to a truck stop and weigh it. I’d wager it weighs 4000ish with you in it.
yea ill just take it to a scale just to be sure. Yea I’ll probably turbo it! Lol why not
Old 09-02-2018, 02:21 PM
TECH Resident

so let’s see. A vette is mostly fiberglass. Aluminum suspension components for lighter weight. Aluminum engine.
The truck is full frame. Steel body. Stamped steel suspension components. Nothing done to make it any lighter. Iron block and heads. And it weighs 200lbs more? Wow. Chevy really wasted their time on the corvette trying to make it lighter. Lol. I’m pretty sure that truck weighs at least 4000lbs.

But yea. Turbo it. Why not? I’d turbo my new truck if it didn’t void the warranty lol.
Vette has power everything and a few airbags. Also the fiberglass parts are incredibly heavy so that they can last for decades. It's not all that light. It's virtually impossible now for a car to come in under 3k pounds after all the safety and emissions equipment gets added.

Make sure when looking at trucks you look at c's and not k's. The k trucks are 4wd and are in the low to mid 4k pound range thanks to the transfer case and front axle. The c's don't hit that curb weight until you get to the 2500hd or the 3500. If you go k3500 CCLB Dually you need heavy equipment to lift the thing lol
Old 09-02-2018, 05:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

My single cab s10 gutted weighs 3100 that swb is all of 4000 lbs don't listen to that. My 1998 Sierra single cab bone stock is more than 4100
Old 09-02-2018, 06:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Dimeomboost
My single cab s10 gutted weighs 3100 that swb is all of 4000 lbs don't listen to that. My 1998 Sierra single cab bone stock is more than 4100
good general idea so i assume youd be able to get it down to about 4000 or maybe even 3900 with some weight reduction about the weight of a goat lol
Old 09-02-2018, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

Not sure why everyone is sure a '91 swb truck is so heavy. My '88 K5 was 4,200 when I scrapped it. That's 4wd and a fiberglass cap that weighed much more than you'd think.
Old 09-02-2018, 08:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bammax
Not sure why everyone is sure a '91 swb truck is so heavy. My '88 K5 was 4,200 when I scrapped it. That's 4wd and a fiberglass cap that weighed much more than you'd think.
I'm sure because I have two and have owned numerous. Scrapping iron bought all my beer in high school so I've had a few on scales in my life my extended cab Sierra is almost 5k lbs
Old 09-02-2018, 09:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Dimeomboost
I'm sure because I have two and have owned numerous. Scrapping iron bought all my beer in high school so I've had a few on scales in my life my extended cab Sierra is almost 5k lbs
Extended cab adds about 200 pounds and 4wd adds about 600. Bigger wheels add weight also. My 38's added well over 100 pounds just in tires. The last couple 2wd trucks I had were sold instead of scrapped so I never bothered weighing them. The 4wd trucks I used up until things fell through the already patched floor lol. I still can't believe someone bought my old f150 with all the rot it had.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:53 PM
TECH Resident

To get back on track, check out this build thread

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/1991-c1500-turbo-5-3-4l80e.41425/
Old 09-03-2018, 10:29 AM
Teching In

Dam thats a hell of a build. Thanks for sharing tha, he did some interesting stuff i probably wont go that far but thats some good ****. Gunna start doing research on turbos now 🐌
Old 09-03-2018, 11:07 AM
TECH Resident

Dam thats a hell of a build. Thanks for sharing tha, he did some interesting stuff i probably wont go that far but thats some good ****. Gunna start doing research on turbos now 🐌
The way that guy is documenting everything is pretty cool. It's also current enough that all the pics still load lol
Old 09-03-2018, 08:17 PM
Teching In

Yup i love it when people actually take the time out of there lives to help out other people by documenting every little thing they do on their builds. There was this write up by this guy doing an ls swap on here that helped me immensely and it was a step by step thing on how he did it. Pictures are always nice especially when they load haha
Old 09-03-2018, 08:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Yup i love it when people actually take the time out of there lives to help out other people by documenting every little thing they do on their builds. There was this write up by this guy doing an ls swap on here that helped me immensely and it was a step by step thing on how he did it. Pictures are always nice especially when they load haha
i just completed a turbo build and I posted it here and on ls1gto. I documented everything. I barely got any responses so it makes me feel like I wasted my time. The time I spent taking pics and posting stuff could have been used to finish my build sooner. I occasional pat on the back or compliment makes it worth it but I barely got that. O well. I’ll remember that for next time.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:59 PM
Teching In

i just completed a turbo build and I posted it here and on ls1gto. I documented everything. I barely got any responses so it makes me feel like I wasted my time. The time I spent taking pics and posting stuff could have been used to finish my build sooner. I occasional pat on the back or compliment makes it worth it but I barely got that. O well. I’ll remember that for next time.
No man im sure sure theres alot of people who appreciated it I probably will stumble across it one day lol but like for me i didnt have a account with ls1tech so i couldn’t respond to the dude to say thanks so i was just lurking the thread since i have an account now im going to look the thread up right now just to say thanks to him lol. But thanks to you too for doing that it says alot about who you are just by doing that like you actually have an interest in helping someone else!
Old 09-04-2018, 06:22 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not that it matters, but I had a stock 89 c1500 rcsb truck with a sub box, amp and nothing missing and it was 3950 with half a tank of gas. I was shocked but it was certified scales. I also was sure it would have been 4500.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jmyers
Not that it matters, but I had a stock 89 c1500 rcsb truck with a sub box, amp and nothing missing and it was 3950 with half a tank of gas. I was shocked but it was certified scales. I also was sure it would have been 4500.
thats really not bad at all i wonder how much it would weight without the spare tire and rollpan instead of a bumper.