General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Newbie question about high rpm lsx

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

https://www.bimmerboost.com/content.php?418-Successfully-Completed-S62-V8-into-E30-Swap

Might be worth looking into since s62 bmw's may be easier to get your hands on. There's at least 1 kit for the swap, but I don't know much about it.

http://kingelements.com/en/drift/601-kit-for-swap-bmw-s62-m60-m62-e36-e46-z3.html
Old 11-27-2018, 06:10 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 241 Likes on 185 Posts

Tsp didnt need solid roller for 8k. Saves quite a bit of money and hassle there. And most of the time their engines use off shelf parts plus they grind all their cams there so really 0 wait time and the best start to finish quality control vs the rest at the moment. Pushing 8k on an sbe ls3 and nearly 8k on a 427ls for Cleetus in the Dale Truck are just 2 of their most recent setups.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't want to get to this but I will dive into a little more details.
I have driven lots of M cars turbo and non turbo, loved my e36 m3. I have driven corvettes and different American muscle, Hondas with vtec and fart cans, all have something special. I don't want to do burnouts, I don't want to be the fastest on a track day, I don't want the fastest quieter mile, nor most feared Street car.
​​​I want a powerful easy to drive around car, hence the big displacement but I want it to Rev high because i like I like how it sounds how it makes me feel. It might not be the most rational project it is just a fun sleeper that makes me happy.
I already ruled out the crazier ideas, of course I would also want ITB's and twin turbos, maybe even a twin charged engine a super charger for down low and the turbo for higher rpms, and crazier ideas. A while back I asked here for tips and engkneyfor swap on a truck but here got nothing and the other forums got all about questioning my choice and what other people would do, but never got tje answers I wanted, luckily an m3 with 5500miles was for sale and cheap and jumped on it.

This thread could end with changing the project or seeing it is feasible or anything in between I just want information and do a full research before I do anything.

Thanks
Old 11-27-2018, 06:42 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 241 Likes on 185 Posts

It IS going to take a little more money than just a std ls build but that really depends on the cubic inch, parts used, heads etc.
You won't need as large of a cam if you run a shorter stroke with larger bore and less cid of course and you can then work with an off shelf head that would flow the numbers you need.
Lifters and pushrods and springs are going to be the most important part and oil control. Thats really simplified but in essence thats all.

A large plenum short runner intake like the Holley race sniper in the cathedral style would handle that and be low profile also.

I am fully expecting 7500 to maybe 7800 out of the 333 ls2 i am building and its SUPER budget. Good quality springs, valves, lifters and pushrods and melling 10295 but otherwise 100% stock or stock replacement parts.

Ill be into it for about 4 to 5k total (including machine work) but i had a spare ls2 block and 4.8 rods and crank to use so that helps.

It will use the std Holley sniper low pro intake and 102mm tb. Ill see where it peaks and maybe make adjustments but not sure yet.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:15 PM
Teching In

Sorry I didn't see your comment about the s62, I looked into it as week as well as s55. S62 are very high mileage a d a rebuild plus engine would be about the same as a new ls crate engine or from a reputable builder, and modifying it a lot more expensive plus very high maintenance costs And if I am not mistaken it weighs more than a aluminum ls.
The s55 is more expensive than just the ls engine without mods. Same as s62 for maintenance as well. Also for both electronics would be a bigger headache too big I think.
The S65 is even more of the same issues I mentioned.

That is why I am choosing the ls. If I cannot find an answer I will delve deeper on the feasibility of the voodoo, but as far as I have googled I would be the first.

Plan c just throw a good ls7 with a few mods and I will be happy as well.
Right now I am seen the feasibility of plan A.

By the way my engine budget with ecu and some accessories is around 13k. Ac is a must here.

Last edited by claudiofranck; 11-27-2018 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Not finished
Old 11-27-2018, 10:21 PM
Teching In

My first choice was the S85 glorious v10 high rpm with it's, dream engine and combination But all builds I saw were extremely expensive and complicated because of the electronics. There is no one here that could deal with that so it is out of the question. Just listen to this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp7skIglZxE
Old 11-28-2018, 08:42 AM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by claudiofranck
i am good with 7.5k, but I don't want a lazy 6 - 6.5k engine. I dind't say I needed 10.
The only ones with lazy 6k RPM engines are the ones scared to rev them, I agree if an LS was limited to 6k RPM I wouldn't bother with them. If all you need is 7500 RPM a SBE engine with good cam and valve springs will get it done, if you really want to get fancy some nice heads and light valves will take you further. We have been banging everything from 5.3's to 7.0's off 7500 limiters daily for years and they are perfectly fine, heck some have seen 8k a few times and lived to tell about it.

Not sure what your exact power goals are. I saw 600hp mentioned and possible boost. You can easily get near 500whp with a basic LS3 spinning to over 7k rpm, get a good cam, good valve springs, a proper intake manifold and a free flowing exhaust. If you want to boost it later on it will take a lot more jams and you can make closer to 1000.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Stock LS6 rev's to 6800. LS7 rev's to 7k. Add an aftermarket cam and decent valvetrain and 7500 is fine. If you chose to rebuild either with a kit from WS6 store it would make it last longer at 7500 rpms and cost less than 10k. I can appreciate high RPM, but for something that is specifically stated as "not the quickest, fastest, etc. etc.", keeping the RPM's to a reasonable range (7-7500) will only increase reliability and the LS with a properly sized cam will make plenty of torque to get it moving.

Edit...apparently Slow Sedan and I are brothers cause we think too much alike.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:02 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Stock LS6 rev's to 6800. LS7 rev's to 7k. Add an aftermarket cam and decent valvetrain and 7500 is fine. If you chose to rebuild either with a kit from WS6 store it would make it last longer at 7500 rpms and cost less than 10k. I can appreciate high RPM, but for something that is specifically stated as "not the quickest, fastest, etc. etc.", keeping the RPM's to a reasonable range (7-7500) will only increase reliability and the LS with a properly sized cam will make plenty of torque to get it moving.

Edit...apparently Slow Sedan and I are brothers cause we think too much alike.
lol

I missed what trans the OP plans to run, T56?
Old 11-29-2018, 09:12 AM
Teching In

As far as the trans I will do whatever fits the engine, t56 is a good conniption, of course it would be manual. Final decision will depend on the kit chosen and engine builder recommendations.

I can't do any engine work as I said I want an engine from a reputable builder ready to go from the box, tested and tuned.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

If you go manual then it's T56. If you go automatic it's either 4L60E or 4L80E. There are other options, but those are the stock options which can make things easier to setup and troubleshoot.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by claudiofranck
As far as the trans I will do whatever fits the engine, t56 is a good conniption, of course it would be manual. Final decision will depend on the kit chosen and engine builder recommendations.

I can't do any engine work as I said I want an engine from a reputable builder ready to go from the box, tested and tuned.

FWIW - in my opinion /experience the engine choice/engine build isn't the key part of what your describing as fun.

If high rpm shifting and fun driving is your goal, a T56 Magnum Level 6 by RPM Transmission should be considered. Light-years more fun to drive and shift than any stock T56. Also way better shifting & better driving than a built T56.

From my own experience with stock T56, built T56, Magnum T56 & RPM Transmission Magnum Level 6 T56 and various stock LS1, h&c LS1, 383 LS1 & 416 LS engines, the sweet spot for the most fun to drive is 4.10's gears + RPM Transmission Magnum Level 6 T56, regardless of the LS engine in front.

​​​​​​
400+ cube LS (7,000+ rpm) + RPM Magnum + excellent clutch + 4.10's gears = lots of driving fun
Old 12-04-2018, 09:56 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
FWIW - in my opinion /experience the engine choice/engine build isn't the key part of what your describing as fun.

If high rpm shifting and fun driving is your goal, a T56 Magnum Level 6 by RPM Transmission should be considered. Light-years more fun to drive and shift than any stock T56. Also way better shifting & better driving than a built T56.

From my own experience with stock T56, built T56, Magnum T56 & RPM Transmission Magnum Level 6 T56 and various stock LS1, h&c LS1, 383 LS1 & 416 LS engines, the sweet spot for the most fun to drive is 4.10's gears + RPM Transmission Magnum Level 6 T56, regardless of the LS engine in front.

​​​​​​
400+ cube LS (7,000+ rpm) + RPM Magnum + excellent clutch + 4.10's gears = lots of driving fun
I don't think you need an RPM Level 6 to handle the OP's 600hp goal lol.

Also, RSG builds a good trans for cheaper then RPM and been proven to hold well over 1100hp.