General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Newbie question about high rpm lsx

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 07:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Newbie question about high rpm lsx

Hello all:

This is a quick and easy question I just need information and if possible pointed in the right direction. I know it is a lot of wishful thinking but I ask the experts that know about this stuff. Please refrain from reason I should not do it.

I am doing a swap, a plain old BMW e30 or e36 lsx swap.i have almost everything thing figured out but if you can point me to kits to help me out it would be great I have spoken with a few makers but more info would be amazing just point me on new directions.

The big question is lsx related, keeping in the spirit of M cars I would like a very high rpm engine from a reputable builder. I am in Panama and we have no big ls builders, that I know of just one but does mainly drag cars and no EFI. Also there are no engine dinos just one chassis dinio. So I want a crate or complete engine, fully tuned maybe just do small adjustments here if needed for this climate, ready to go, just bolt accessories, connections, tranny and get ready to go.

I would love something like the crate Ford (I know I know blasfemy) 5.2 voodoo engine, around 17k with ecu and some accessories, 8250rpm 580hp out of the box. Something similar but in a ls flavor.
The reason for the ls first there are no ready made swap kits for that engine and then 17k is lot more than my 12k engine budget, but of there are no options in ls I might bite the bullet after researching a swap to that one.

Just asking for. You expert guys to steer me in the right direction so I can talk to some reputable builders The last issue, I know I ask a lot, said engine should use mostly of the shelf parts so I can fix it and rebuild it here if needed. And if possible able to take a little bit of boost later on if you wish so. But with about 2600 pounds on the e30 and about 600hp maybe not needed. Just thinking and dreaming.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:17 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts

Talk to texas speed. They build alot of lsx engines lately that do 7k+ daily.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

There's a few companies building 7k rpm motors now. The advances in valvetrain parts make higher rpms much easier to do. 9k would be here if the overhead cam setup ever got passed the prototype phase.
Old 11-25-2018, 06:54 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Check out Vorshlag in Texas. They specialize the LS swapped BMW’s. They can get you in touch with a good engine builder whose had a lot of experience with 10,000RPM ls engines.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:20 AM
Teching In

thank you guys, I will call Texas speed this week and I didn't know that Vorshlag also provided engines or could put you in contact with builders,, although they are in my short list for the conversion kit.

thanks again i will let you know what happens and the route I decide.

Regards
Old 11-26-2018, 02:49 PM
TECH Resident

When you get the project started do a build thread in the conversions section. People are always interested in what other people are working on.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Nascar engine plus BMW equals high rpm BMW lol but for real u can do 8k rpm reasonably but over that I bet prices get crazy shaft rockers etc big $$$
Old 11-26-2018, 07:50 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts

When you can turn a 427 to 8k you dont need 10. Most of the bimmer engines are low cid so ideally to make any power they need rpm.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:44 AM
Teching In

Nascar engine, would be crazy, lol. i am good with 7.5k, but I don't want a lazy 6 - 6.5k engine. I dind't say I needed 10.
I want an street, almost daily driver.
As I said I am dreaming so far, if price were not object, not only the engine but fabbing and everything that comes with a swap without a kit, i'd go with the blasphemous engine, lol.
I don' want to reinvent the wheel just a nice different car a nasty sleeper.

I would send the headers from which ever kit a chose to the engine builder so they can tune and plan around those.
I am still in the planing stages that is why I am trying to figure out the engine. Engine and kit choice would prompt the decision to go with E30 o E36. E30 would me my first choice.

For other things i have my short list done and ready, meaning I have at most 3 final options that I would be happy with either and that everything that could be researched and asked has been done already, final choice would be mostly if I find a sale or especial between the time I start the build and need them. Stuff such as brakes, seats, interior, ....

Dream engine would be the Mercury 32Valve LS7, but waaaaaay outside the budget.

Bear in mind in Panama tehre are no emission requirements, so I can throw anything in there.

Regards
Old 11-27-2018, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 412 Likes on 299 Posts

Solid roller cam, sheet metal intake, lightweight crank and pistons, shaft rockers, best lifters and spring for whatever cam you go with, head designed for 8500 rpm operation, short gear and high stall converter if auto. It's not difficult to build a high HP motor but it's a dangerous balancing act that may be hard to do of you want to easily DD the car.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:42 AM
TECH Resident

If your end goal is smokey burnouts and drifting around a track you don't need to go high rpm. Buy a 402 or bigger and get a cam that makes a good torque curve. Daily driving will be easy and reliable and anytime you want a smoke show just stomp the gas pedal. Bmw doesn't make power until higher in the revs but a healthy American v8 will get that same power much lower down.

With an ls swap the displacement doesn't matter. A 4.8 takes up the same amount of space as a 7.0. The ls swap kit will be the same regardless. It's the aftermarket blocks with different deck heights or engine mounts that'll be tricky.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:53 AM
TECH Resident

When you're ready to get started try contacting these guys.
https://e30ls1.com
They literally wrote the book on ls e30 swaps. The kits look like they're made to order so don't be afraid of the sold out tags on their website.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:29 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Its funny how many import guys come here wanting to dive into the LS world but don't want to give up their RPM. For some reason that seems to be their deciding factor.
"500 horsepower at 6500 RPM? No thanks, I don't care about power, just need 9000 RPM".
Old 11-27-2018, 01:13 PM
Teching In

@JoeNova thanks but no thanks for your completely useless comment. I know what I like and and what I want, I know there are limitations, that is why I come here to get advice from experts and not for useless comments. If in the end it is not feasible or cost effective I will think about something else. I know I can a C6 Z06 for half my budget and throw everything at it be a lot faster, I can get a used M3 and be done with it, there a lot of different ways to go about it. Mine is this. If you don't like it don't comment, easy....
And using import guy a derogatory term is also not very productive, I am a CAR guy plain and simple doesn't matter where it came from... On my end of the world everybody is an import guy, a Chevy Nova is as much an import as a Hyundai...

Peace out

Last edited by claudiofranck; 11-27-2018 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-27-2018, 01:24 PM
Teching In

Wow @bammax hadn't heard of them but I am liking their stuff, the pictures seem great, I will research it a little more.
@tech@ws6store I emailed Texas Speed today, Thank you
Old 11-27-2018, 01:28 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

For complete engines, dyno tested and ready to go, I would say check out these two vendors:
MAST Motorsports
Late Model Engines
Both are in Texas.
Old 11-27-2018, 01:35 PM
Teching In

Thank you, I just emailed both of them as well.
Now I wait

Regards
Old 11-27-2018, 02:34 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by claudiofranck
@JoeNova thanks but no thanks for your completely useless comment. I know what I like and and what I want, I know there are limitations, that is why I come here to get advice from experts and not for useless comments. If in the end it is not feasible or cost effective I will think about something else. I know I can a C6 Z06 for half my budget and throw everything at it be a lot faster, I can get a used M3 and be done with it, there a lot of different ways to go about it. Mine is this. If you don't like it don't comment, easy....
And using import guy a derogatory term is also not very productive, I am a CAR guy plain and simple doesn't matter where it came from... On my end of the world everybody is an import guy, a Chevy Nova is as much an import as a Hyundai...

Peace out
Wow no need to get so defensive. I'm saying that RPM shouldn't be a goal because its not an apples to apples comparison between a small engine and a larger one with more cylinders. Any preconceived notion you've had that you have to get the same RPM out of one engine because it was possible with another is an awkward path to follow. Am I not allowed to point out the fact that a majority of the people that come here with an RPM goal come from an import crowd?

And yes, I understand that Import doesn't mean the same thing to everyone. But where the majority of the members of this forum reside, its a very well understood expression. Its not derogatory. I used it to point at the obviously different mindset/approach. Nobody here is going to go on the attack over your terminology. Don't shake a fist over ours.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:50 PM
Teching In

@JoeNova sorry I jumped the gun and got defensive but it as been my experience that there is always a couple of wiseguys that start the hate and bashing in every forum and every subject and wanted to get ahead of that and cut the head off before it derails the subject. And the way you started your post "it is funny how you import guys...." it may be construed as an attack. But since it wasn't I apologize.
I am completely aware that it is not apples to apples I just loved my high rpm m3, and RPMS are my goal (if possible or within my budget), not only power if I can have both then all the better. I am just researching right know so I deffer to people that know, i.e. you guys.
I have no preconceived notions and have very good understanding on how engines work how the generate power, how torque relates to HP and rpm, etc.... I just stated a goal, what my benchmarks is for what I want and to get answers and get directed to be better uniformed.
I never compared them either I just said I wanted to keep the spirit of the M car that is all.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:02 PM
TECH Resident

The first question people have when they get into American/Australian v8's is always about increasing the powerband. After getting some seat time the question becomes how to launch without smoking the tires. Once they learn that the next question is why do I keep blowing the trans/rear when I drop the clutch. It's been the same pattern since the Japanese market developed in the 70's.

When the v8 folks jump into a vtec the first question is always how to drop 60 foot times without sitting at the staging light revving to 9k. Even the European v8 is designed to be higher rpm hp instead of low rpm torque so Americans getting into a German v8 still have a learning curve to deal with.

I've been recommending people just ride in or drive a stock version of the car they're interested in and then figure out what they need to do to fine tune it to their goal. It's too easy to get hung up on an idea even if it doesn't match what you actually need.