General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Learn me about piston slap and engine wear

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Learn me about piston slap and engine wear

Si, with the heads off the pistons in my 5.3 when at top seem to have a lot of play. I understand piston slap now. My question is when there is wear is it generally mornonnyhe piston, the cylinder or pretty evenly between the two. If the bore is rated at 3.780 are they generally accurate to that from the factory?
Old 01-22-2019, 10:47 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Of course I can't say whether your particular motor has enough play to present a problem, but audible piston slap has not generally been correlated with excessive wear on either the cylinder liners or pistons upon tear down.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Of course I can't say whether your particular motor has enough play to present a problem, but audible piston slap has not generally been correlated with excessive wear on either the cylinder liners or pistons upon tear down.
Huh? I've torn down quite a few where piston slap was getting louder over time and pistons skirts were worn and bore was out of spec, No serious wear on crank/cam/rod bearings. Bore and new pistons and good to go.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by dewchugr
Si, with the heads off the pistons in my 5.3 when at top seem to have a lot of play. I understand piston slap now. My question is when there is wear is it generally mornonnyhe piston, the cylinder or pretty evenly between the two. If the bore is rated at 3.780 are they generally accurate to that from the factory?
The only way to know for sure is to measure, Generally if you're going to take it down that far then a full rebuild is a no brainer.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Old 01-23-2019, 10:13 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Wow, yes, that's certainly a crazy amount of rocking right there! And per above, it makes sense that if piston slap has gotten louder over time and continues to slap when the engine is fully warmed up, there would be evidence of wear.

My car has been a piston slapper when cold since I bought it 15 years ago at 33k. It has 167k now and the slap is no worse now than it was then. That's why I said "generally correlated." In other words, the mere presence of some piston slap is not an absolute indicator that excessive piston or liner wear is taking place.

Piston slap was controversial when the LS engines were new and some owners were clamoring for warranty replacement engines because of cold slapping. But inspection was not generally showing abnormal wear on such (admittedly relatively fresh) liners and pistons.

Last edited by RevGTO; 01-23-2019 at 10:18 PM.