General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

LS Engines

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 02:41 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Originally Posted by bammax
I'm well versed in the b/d body world. I literally just sold a 93 Brougham this morning lol. Only year to get the bubble body with the L05.
I have a '96 Fleetwood sitting in my garage right now, it was special ordered by a relative of mine and was actually one of the final D-bodies off the assembly line (build date 11/96). Mine is technically "sold" as well (friend has a deposit on it), but it's still being stored in my garage.

Originally Posted by bammax
The biggest problem with the 307 was the ccc system. It was run by a computer and a couple sensors that just weren't very good at adjusting to anything but stock. Luckily you could swap in a non ccc quadrajet and a nice hei distributor and the engine would come alive. The chevy tbi system was better, but that didn't like to venture far from stock either. Even all these years later I wouldn't hesitate to get a 307/2004r combo as a daily driver.
You're right about the electronic Q-jet not playing nicely with anything but stock, but my issue with the Olds 307 was oil burning. This was a somewhat common issue with these, though many folks have seen good longevity from this engine (just not me...haha). The water pump/timing cover arrangement on these Olds V8s isn't the greatest either. I really prefer the Chevrolet design.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As the originator of this thread I see it has taken a few tangents. To those that responded to my question, I thank you. I learned some things but a lot I already knew. I've got 3 yrs and just north of $60,000 in this build. 95% of everything I've bought came off the internet just because of this. This is a 57 Bel Air Restomod. It has every modern upgrade, technology and Creature Feature I could glean out of 7 different makes & models. Some not even GM and a few not even automotive! Don't get me wrong, this isn't a "Frankenstein's Monster" but a daily driven Commercial Promotional Vehicle that is bordering on Show Car. So when it's down for repairs and everything is going smoothly and you're on a roll its hard to stop and wait a week for a part, especially when you KNOW it's hidden somewhere in your local "Auto Parts Store"!

So with 7 different modern vehicles combined in to one that they haven't made in 62 yrs you can see my dilemma in finding parts. Oh well, I guess that's the price we have to pay to be car enthusiasts!
Old 03-08-2019, 01:06 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Originally Posted by popawoody
As the originator of this thread I see it has taken a few tangents. To those that responded to my question, I thank you. I learned some things but a lot I already knew. I've got 3 yrs and just north of $60,000 in this build. 95% of everything I've bought came off the internet just because of this. This is a 57 Bel Air Restomod. It has every modern upgrade, technology and Creature Feature I could glean out of 7 different makes & models. Some not even GM and a few not even automotive! Don't get me wrong, this isn't a "Frankenstein's Monster" but a daily driven Commercial Promotional Vehicle that is bordering on Show Car. So when it's down for repairs and everything is going smoothly and you're on a roll its hard to stop and wait a week for a part, especially when you KNOW it's hidden somewhere in your local "Auto Parts Store"!

So with 7 different modern vehicles combined in to one that they haven't made in 62 yrs you can see my dilemma in finding parts. Oh well, I guess that's the price we have to pay to be car enthusiasts!
A couple of things to consider here. If you've built this car using off-the-shelf parts from several different regular production vehicles, then ordering replacement items should be a simple matter of using vehicle info from the original application of the part in question. I could see how this would be difficult if you had bought the car already completed and didn't know the original applications for any of these items, but this shouldn't be a problem as you're apparently the originator of this build.

And for items which are custom, or require custom solutions for integration into a resto-mod application, I don't think wait times of a week or so are unreasonable for service or replacement items. You mentioned that some of the items aren't even automotive, so this sounds like a highly custom, "1 of 1" type build - not the sort of application for which I'd expect comprehensive support by chain parts stores with easy, quick access to anything you might need.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by popawoody

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
A couple of things to consider here. If you've built this car using off-the-shelf parts from several different regular production vehicles, then ordering replacement items should be a simple matter of using vehicle info from the original application of the part in question. I could see how this would be difficult if you had bought the car already completed and didn't know the original applications for any of these items, but this shouldn't be a problem as you're apparently the originator of this build.

And for items which are custom, or require custom solutions for integration into a resto-mod application, I don't think wait times of a week or so are unreasonable for service or replacement items. You mentioned that some of the items aren't even automotive, so this sounds like a highly custom, "1 of 1" type build - not the sort of application for which I'd expect comprehensive support by chain parts stores with easy, quick access to anything you might need.
RPM said what I thought after reading your first post. I am wrapping up a 57 Belair build myself. The brakes are 04-07 CTS-V. The motor is 2016 Chevy SS with FEAD from an '11 6.2L (non-super charged) Vette. The trans is from an 08 Express Van with 6.0L. The PCM thinks it's an '11 Silverado LTZ. Notice, I didn't use LS motor codes to describe these parts. Can I talk to the local parts store clerk? Yep. Can I order parts for my project online? Yep. What I'm saying is, maybe you should consider learning the native language before entering their domain.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Z Fury
Basically this. If I ever get a confused look, I just tell them it is the Corvette motor just to get movement on their side of the counter.

"Is that 2 or 4wd?"
Old 03-16-2019, 12:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
RPM said what I thought after reading your first post. I am wrapping up a 57 Belair build myself. The brakes are 04-07 CTS-V. The motor is 2016 Chevy SS with FEAD from an '11 6.2L (non-super charged) Vette. The trans is from an 08 Express Van with 6.0L. The PCM thinks it's an '11 Silverado LTZ. Notice, I didn't use LS motor codes to describe these parts. Can I talk to the local parts store clerk? Yep. Can I order parts for my project online? Yep. What I'm saying is, maybe you should consider learning the native language before entering their domain.
true dat. im wondering how much of the car he built? sounds like someone helped build it for him and maybe he's trying to finish it off or something but doesnt quite know the origin of every part....basically half of what RPM said
Old 03-16-2019, 01:14 PM
Launching!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

One thing I did since I'm getting into the CRS years was to search online and found a nice car build spreadsheet that you can fill in all of the blanks with part numbers, year data etc. and have your own reference for parts years to come.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 261 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by SKINNY69
I find it more shocking that you'd physically go to a parts store in 2019.
It is nice to get a part the same day and get your vehicle back on the road with minimal downtime. When you use coupon codes, the part is rarely much more expensive than it is online.
At least that is the case for me being in Delaware with no sales tax.