General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Air conditioning questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 03:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Air conditioning questions

Hey y’all! I have a 98 firebird that I swapped in an ls1/T56 and need to get the air conditioning back in. The system has been open to outside air for at least 12-14 years now and I’m assuming the evap core is not any good anymore?

I came across a package on rock auto but not sure if it’s any good. I live in the desert and it gets hot here, like 110+ so I need this to be ice cold!

Thanks so so much for any help you can give!
Old 04-05-2019, 05:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

IMO, AC is one of those things that needs to be left to a professional...My AC went out on my '98 a few years ago...I knew it was heading out with the compressor leaking for a few years...anyway, when it came time to replace it, I got a local quote and realized that it wasn't that much more to have a pro do it AND keep the warranty on the new system. AC is just one of those things that if it's not installed absolutely correctly, you can ruin your whole new system quickly and then end up having to replace it again. My advice is to get a local quote, then compare it to the price of the kit you want to buy plus having it charged professionally and then make an informed decision. I think having a pro do it for me added like an extra $400 total over trying to do it myself and then having it charged, but if something went wrong, it was still cheaper than having to do it and second time...
Old 04-07-2019, 06:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

^^^^ What he said...
Old 04-10-2019, 07:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm a AC expert and I have to agree unless you understand the basics of refrigeration you will probably spend more in the end doing it yourself. I could guide you if you like, you need to either replace or flush the evaporator and condenser, I would replace ALL the lines and accumulator. New orings properly dressed with the right oil and new compressor. Then it needs to be properly evacuated and charged. Good Luck
Old 04-10-2019, 05:17 PM
Teching In

Not that hard to do it yourself as I have done many. You need to replace all the essential pieces, and you have to have a vacuum pump to evacuate the system after replacing pretty much everything in Your case. If you don't have a vacuum pump or wish to buy one, then have a shop evacuate and recharge. Rock Auto had all the parts for good prices. I say go for it. Just be sure to read up on how is done, and ask for help on this site.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:28 AM
Launching!

Ive decided to replace all the parts in the ac system and have a completely fresh build with all new parts. I was never interested in doing the evac and recharge myself, only the replacement of the parts themselves. Heres a list of parts ive acquired..

compressor
evaporator
receiver
condenser
new lines

does the orifice tube come pre installed in the hose line?
Old 05-04-2019, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Here's everything in the GM Parts Manual that has to do with 98-02 LS1 A/C systems. You should be able to piece everything together from it and if anything is missing, you have the part numbers now. Put it all together, take it to a shop to test for leaks and let them fill it up!

Old 05-04-2019, 11:36 AM
Launching!

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Vacuum pumps and gauges arent that expensive, If you're going that far go ahead and go the final distance and pull the vacuum on it and refil.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:10 AM
Launching!

holy **** thats super helpful thanks so much!

josh hefner thats true, i may end up doing it myself.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:19 PM
Launching!

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Just realized you're local. If it's not too crazy blazing hot out we can evac and refill here. In Glendale by the Cardinals stadium.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JoshHefnerX
Just realized you're local. If it's not too crazy blazing hot out we can evac and refill here. In Glendale by the Cardinals stadium.
no kidding that’s awesome! Thanks for the offer. I’ll get ahold of ya once I get the parts put together.