General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Formula WS6 for a Termi?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 10:15 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Formula WS6 for a Termi?!?!?!

Guys,

For some reason, I am really wanting a 2003-2004 Cobra. I have always gone back and forth on keeping a WS6 or just getting the Terminator. At this point, my Formula WS6 is all stock with only 2200 miles. I love the look and feel of it but for some reason I am always searching for 03-04 Cobras. Classic case of you want what you do not have. What do you guys think - dump the formy and get a Termi, or will I regret it??? Unfortunately, I do not have room for both right now. What are your general thoughts on Terminator Cobras?

Thanks
Old 08-01-2019, 08:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

They are just different cars.

After having a triple blk 97 6 spd TA, 00 WS6, 02 6spd Firehawk vert, currently an A4 94 Z28 the 03 Cobra I had will not disappoint. Ford grossly underrated that engine. Mine went almost straight to the dyno off the showroom floor and put down 381 to the tire on a 390 factory rating (My 02 Firehawk did 336 to the tire on a 345 rating). What also made that car such a beast is the low end TQ it put down. Its a very fun car to drive.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Axltransam
Guys,

For some reason, I am really wanting a 2003-2004 Cobra. I have always gone back and forth on keeping a WS6 or just getting the Terminator. At this point, my Formula WS6 is all stock with only 2200 miles. I love the look and feel of it but for some reason I am always searching for 03-04 Cobras. Classic case of you want what you do not have. What do you guys think - dump the formy and get a Termi, or will I regret it??? Unfortunately, I do not have room for both right now. What are your general thoughts on Terminator Cobras?

Thanks
Id keep the formula WS6..especially one with 2200 miles on it. Youll likely never find one in that condition with those miles ever again. Now if it were just a run of the mill TA Ws6 then yeah i would part with it for the cobra..but the WS6 formula is something special for its cool factor and rarity.
The following users liked this post:
wannafbody (01-15-2020)
Old 08-02-2019, 08:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

^^^ I agree completely. A 'like new' crazy low mileage Formula WS6 would be extremely difficult to give up unless you are just tired of it. I just can't believe how little you drive it. I was looking hard at a 2004 Cobra quite a few years ago and did quite a bit of homework on them. Just a super machine to own and why I wanted one. I've always enjoyed my Mustangs over the decades and I did want another to go along with my Trans Am (now own a GT/CS). Having both is great as I can attest to but you said that is not possible for you. Personally I would NOT up give that Formula you have now. Good luck with your decision but if you let that WS6 go I sense seller's remorse coming one day.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:08 AM
Launching!

I also fear that I would regret getting rid of the formula. I just need a bigger garage. I also would want a modded cobra - the only issue with the formula is I cannot mod it as it is just too new and low mileage.
Old 08-02-2019, 12:12 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,725 Likes on 1,237 Posts

The '03/'04 Cobra is one Ford product that I've always been interested in owning. I've liked them since I saw my first one brand new on a dealer lot. Franky, I would have bought one new if they had been offered with an auto trans.

But, I also regret not having bought a WS6 Formula. I waited too long back in 2000 to order one (this was the last year for the WS6 package on Formula), so I had to settle for the Trans Am version. I might not have sold the car had I gone with the Formula instead.

So, in summary, I love both cars and could see a strong argument for keeping/owning either. But, these are all used cars now, so if the one you have has proven itself to be a solid example then you might regret making the switch (not necessarily due to it being something different, but that particular car might just be a lemon, etc.) I would only make the switch if you are certain that you're ready to part with the Formula.
Old 08-02-2019, 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

They keep making Mustangs and they keep getting better. You never have to worry about seeing a new and improved Formula. It might not seem like an important thing now, but in a few years the Formula will make for a nice payday while the mustang will just be an old mustang.
Old 08-02-2019, 03:51 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

I wouldn't count on any big payday in a few years. The value of a 2,200 mile LS1 F-body is about the same now as it has been for some time, and there are no indications that these upper tier examples are gaining value at a rate that's significantly above inflation. So I wouldn't stick with the car for that reason, as it will most likely disappoint. Unless the OP managed to grab it for a steal, there most likely won't be more than a marginal profit at best, after inflation, if the car is sold in the foreseeable future.

It's true that Firebird is gone, as is Pontiac itself, but even the makes and models which have survived since that time have gone through several generations and considerable changes. In this regard, "new and improved" are sort of mutually exclusive (i.e. while performance might be improved, styling changes are always subjective, not necessarily "improved", and folks who are looking specifically for a certain generation won't care about the fact that an otherwise unrelated newer model shares the same nameplate). For example, 1st gen Camaros haven't lost any value relative to comparable 1st gen Firebirds even though the Camaro name continues (even including the fact that 1st gen Firebirds are more rare in the first place). Enthusiast demand for the early Camaros keeps their value high even though it's a dinosaur version of a nameplate which is still being sold new (and with MUCH better stock performance today - even compared to the hottest of regular production 1st gen Camaros).

Some folks like the exclusivity of having a make/model that's discontinued. I definitely get that, though I don't necessarily share that feeling myself. But I wouldn't keep a car for this reason unless it's purely for personal pleasure and satisfaction, it's not a factor on which you can count as bringing a big payday.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

If you decide to go with the terminator, please list that bird here. I'd sure like a crack at it, as I'm sure many others here would as well.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:58 PM
Launching!

Of course. This site would get first dibs
Old 08-04-2019, 05:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Here's what I remember from the Terminators back when they were the hot thing on the road. You're essentially looking at a GT with a monster engine and irs.

If you want big power you're likely to "downgrade" the rear to a straight axle from the GT to avoid wheelhop and snapping half shalfs. You can definitely upgrade the irs to solve the problems, but it's a bit on the pricey side ($1k through ftbr) and the only real benefit is on a road course. Also if you plan on seriously upgrading the engine you can make big power (500+) but then you'll have changed the 2 things that make the car special.

Unless you're keeping it close to stock I'd start with a GT for a fraction of the price and use current parts to build a terminator killer. You'll have a better car for less money. You might get lucky and find one already built the way you'd want to build one and save yourself alot of time and hassle too.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:25 PM
Launching!

I will stick with the formy for now.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would have bought one if i didnt buy the WS6 a year before. Sure it needs beefing up to make big power but the bottom end is forged. Our Ls1s need upgraded rear, trans and forged bottom end to do the same.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:56 AM
Launching!

Gulp - car is listed for sale....
Old 01-15-2020, 10:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 847 Likes on 648 Posts

I'd get a 15+ Mustang and do a blower. It's a better car than the SN95 will be.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Good luck with the sale. I see a few have sold in the mid 25k range recently on ebay, but all had over 25,000 miles.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Axltransam
Gulp - car is listed for sale....
Best of luck with everything. Being in Boston during mid-winter is probably not the ideal time to sell a car but I bought my C6 in the dead of winter not too far from you on Cape Cod. I had it transported. If the buyer is out there, they will not wait for Spring and do the same as me. Is it on ebay, Hemmings??? GLWS!!!
Old 01-21-2020, 02:33 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Best of luck with everything. Being in Boston during mid-winter is probably not the ideal time to sell a car but I bought my C6 in the dead of winter not too far from you on Cape Cod. I had it transported. If the buyer is out there, they will not wait for Spring and do the same as me. Is it on ebay, Hemmings??? GLWS!!!
I, too, bought one of my garage queen toys in winter (December), but only because there was a freakish occurrence of agreeable weather. I don't bother keeping my entire driveway clear of snow during the winter, because nothing ever comes out of the garage during that time of year, so even with covered transport I wouldn't have been able to take delivery if there had already been a lot of snow. Of course the snow complications don't really apply to many buyers in the south and west but, on a national level, the best overall market conditions for a seller will generally come in spring. That's not too far away now; late March/early April would be a great time to really invest in getting the car advertised. I definitely agree with Ebay and Hemmings as great venues for this sort of vehicle.

To be sure, I certainly agree that there could be that one "right" buyer who's willing to jump through whatever transport and weather related hoops are necessary if they really, really want a specific car such as this.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 598 Likes on 413 Posts

A terminator... whats that? F body till the world blow.
Axltransam (01-30-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 07:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Why buy a 16 to 17 year old Terminator likely with an uncertain history when a far superior and newer 5.0 Mustang could be purchased and have a supercharger added? The folks I knew with Terminators beat the snot out of them and usually torn up rear ends & transmissions or both. It would be real easy to end up with someone elses problem car unless your very careful purchasing.

There many major improvements in the newer 5.0 Mustangs that made them better overall cars than the 99-04 cars.

When I test drove a new 99 Cobra back in 99 the words marginal build quality best described the car. When i test drove a new 2011 5.0 Mustang GT it was light years superior in every way to the 99 Cobra as a driver Likewise with a 2014 Mustang.

Of course you should get the car you like the most.

FWIW - my favorite ride is an LS swapped 91 RS so i know there are many factors to what is the ideal fun car for a car enthusiast.

Good luck with your endeavor.

wannafbody (01-28-2020)

Quick Reply: Formula WS6 for a Termi?!?!?!