General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Nascar exhaust/boom tube vids and any how to

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 06:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Nascar exhaust/boom tube vids and any how to

I'm running into ground clearance issues with the exhaust on my 04 GTO. (The cat back portion)

It's not a daily, it has LM1 exhaust so noise isnt a isssue.

I'm doing a 6.0 (l76) swap this winter and want to do something diffrent with the exhaust.

The exhaust seems to be in a perfect spot for boom tubes and already has a x pipe.
Just looking for videos and any pics but everything is 10-15 years old.

Thanks
Old 09-05-2019, 07:18 AM
Staging Lane

After much research nascar does not use the boom tube but I see lots of I guess I would call speedway pipes? Basically looks like a x pipe with 2 straight pipes coming off it.

I'm not sure how my car would sound. I have a feeling it would just sound straight pipe which I do not like.

I would still like to do the side exit to help with ground clearance.
I'm thinking I use my slp resonators and flatten some 4 inch pipe to make the "tips"
Old 09-06-2019, 06:54 AM
Staging Lane

I know nothing about nascar except they sound good lol.

However my 6.0 is pretty mild . Could sound like crap.

I do however see lots of the newer style nascar exhaust for sale. Looks like it would be a perfect set up and depending how far apart the "mid pipes" are spaced it would almost bolt right to my headers.

Since I can find nothing on this I may take the pludge when i do my engine swap
Old 09-06-2019, 08:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

https://www.mustangevolution.com/for.../301610?page=3

You want posts 29 and 30. Those are the nascar systems that exit on either side. There's also a version where both flat pipes run parallel and exit together on 1 side of the car, but it'll be harder to build. Essentially it's just wide flat pipe after the x or a crossover tube.

The sound comes from the firing order of the engine along with the cam specs and rpms. The flat pipe will "tune" the sound, but it's going to be more for volume and drone than anything.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:44 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bammax
https://www.mustangevolution.com/for.../301610?page=3

You want posts 29 and 30. Those are the nascar systems that exit on either side. There's also a version where both flat pipes run parallel and exit together on 1 side of the car, but it'll be harder to build. Essentially it's just wide flat pipe after the x or a crossover tube.

The sound comes from the firing order of the engine along with the cam specs and rpms. The flat pipe will "tune" the sound, but it's going to be more for volume and drone than anything.
Thank you, I honestly dont like the dual side set up. I'm prefer the single flat. However the single flat is hard to find. I can however find dual oval style to 1 side set up that has a x pipe right before the muffler. But it appears to be more of a straight pipe and I dont need my car sounding like a derby car.

For $80-150 (depends how nice it is) I could rig it up and see how it sounds and go back to my old set up if needed. The slp do sound good it only a inch off the ground lol

I had to cut off a hanger to clear my driveshaft and then I snapped a axle which bent my exhaust. I bent it back best as possible but now things are just not right.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

https://www.chevyhardcore.com/tech-s...r-and-vibrant/

This is the way to go if you can find the part numbers in your price range.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:42 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bammax
https://www.chevyhardcore.com/tech-s...r-and-vibrant/

This is the way to go if you can find the part numbers in your price range.
That's a pretty slick design

Quick Reply: Nascar exhaust/boom tube vids and any how to