General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

March performance serpentine belt issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 01:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default March performance serpentine belt issue

I have a LS3 installed in a 1980 Camaro with the March performance Sport Track serpentine belt system. I keep destroying the belt on my car when i get on it hard when the A/C system is turn on. No issues when the A/C is off has another else had this problem. A friend of mine has had the same problem with his car he has the same system as i do. I have tried several different belts from the Gates micro groove to the Dayco & Goodyear gatorback belt. This only seems to happen when the A/C is on & i drive it kinda hard. Any info would be great
Old 09-12-2019, 07:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

You need a WOT function programed into the computer so with the the AC on when you o full throttle it releases the clutch on the compressor and shuts down the AC. I would also check alignment of the compressor bracket, don't take much to shred the belt if it is not aligned properly and that can change if the bracket flexes under load.
Old 09-14-2019, 02:45 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,503 Likes on 2,159 Posts

I have had a similiar issue, but mine happened with ac off. Shoot, I’ve never even used my a/c come to think of it. I run Holley accessories and found my tensioner wasn’t strong enough to hold the belt at 6800 rpm and up, so the belt would just shred. I switched to the Katech manual tensioner and all is well. I also bought a GatesRPM belt so maybe it’s a combo thing? Not sure if there’s anything you can do with your tensioner on the March setup.
I feel like the a/c shutoff advice from cooksey will fix your issues. Most newer ecm’s Have this feature.

Quick Reply: March performance serpentine belt issue