General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Pcm swapping

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2019, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pcm swapping

Hey guys, not sure if this is the right place for this but I have already found such great info on this forum. I have a 2007 new body style 1500 silverado that I just swapped an entire drivetrain from a 2007 new body style 2500hd. 6.0 ly6, 6l90e, transfer case, wire harness and pcm.
The swap is done but because of the vins not talking to each other, it won't crank with the 6.0 pcm. It will start and run and drive like **** with the original 5.3 pcm.
I have determined that my options are as follows;
Reflash 6.0 pcm with new vin or,
Reflash 5.3 pcm and tune for 6.0 and 6l90e. Problem is I dont know how to do either. I have the whole 2500hd donor truck that was running and driving. Maybe it would be easier to change out all computers? And what does that entail? As I have already swapped bcms to no avail.
Thanks for any and all help
Old 10-20-2019, 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Swap in all the computers from the 6.0 and then you may need to swap the ignition cylinder (or column if you prefer) so that the key matches what the computer is expecting to see. I'm not sure what that year uses for a key, but if it's got a chip you'll need to do column work most likely.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by bammax
Swap in all the computers from the 6.0 and then you may need to swap the ignition cylinder (or column if you prefer) so that the key matches what the computer is expecting to see. I'm not sure what that year uses for a key, but if it's got a chip you'll need to do column work most likely.
Thanks. I changed the bcm and pcm out with the ones from the 6.0, but I didnt do the column.
Do you know if there is anything besides those three things that will allow the computers to talk to eachother?
Old 10-20-2019, 09:12 PM

Well it turns out it was also the column. I swapped that out and used all original computers and the thing runs like a champ. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Congrats on the job well done.

Quick Reply: Pcm swapping