General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What is a connecting rod bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 12:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 606 Likes on 468 Posts
Default What is a connecting rod bearing?

I just had to share this with you guys. I got a defective rod bearing from clevite. Figured I could call them and explain, maybe send some pics and they would throw me a new one in the mail. Ha! They must be too big for that. I’m not that important I guess. Whatever. Told me to go back to where I bought it from and they would swap it out. I told them it was an hour drive over a $5 bearing that defective and not my fault. Sorry sir. Yea. Thx a lot. Anyways, I chose to get one from a local parts store. Well known. Not saying any names, this is just meant for fun. Call over there. Guy answers the phone. Sounds to be in his 30’s or 40’s. Pretty sure I know which guy it was as I see him a lot in there. So I tell him I need a connecting rod bearing. Asks vehicle blah blah. Then he asks me “where does this bearing go”. Without trying to sound like a smart ***, my reply was “umm, in the connecting rod”. I think he picked up on my held back smartassness but he was a good sport about it. I kinda felt bad, but then I just wonder how a middle aged fella works at an auto parts store and doesn’t know what a connecting rod bearing is. Makes me scratch my head. Maybe he had a brain fart. Or maybe these box stores need to train people better. I dunno, I still laugh when I think about it.

he did end up locating me one at another store and had it transferred there. So I appreciated that.
Old 12-27-2019, 03:59 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

Maybe he just didn't hear the original question? I had that happen to me several times when I was working in dealer parts departments... you answer the phone and the customer asks for a part but you really weren't listening because you're also filling an order at the counter or something so you have to ask again what part they need. Although I would have asked "what kind of bearing are you looking for?" rather than "where does it go?" because It's better to not have heard the request than to sound like you don't know what the part is.

Old 12-27-2019, 04:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

You don't have to know anything about cars to work at a parts store and it's been that way forever. Basically they teach them how to look them up on the computer using the same basic software as the company uses on their website that you use when looking from home.

Quick Reply: What is a connecting rod bearing?