General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Should I consider LS swapping my c4 corvette as an affordable alternative?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I consider LS swapping my c4 corvette as an affordable alternative?

IF POSTED IN WRONG SECTION PLEASE LET ME KNOW ILL DELETE
Hi, I’ll start off by saying I’m pretty new to working on cars. I bought my c4 to have as a project. I bought it with at the least expecting a transmission rebuild. I’ve driven it enough times since I got it to determine I really like the low end power, but the higher end seems to not be anything special. It’s fun launching but holding it open going 50 brings me no excitement. Anyway my point is I’m at least out 1000 for a stock rebuild. Then after that I’d want to get it to have more all around power, which I hear the stock intake takes away that and is what gives it so much low end power. I see aftermarket intakes alone going for like $700. I sound stupid saying this but, wouldn’t it be cheaper and more cost effective to buy an LS motor and transmission? I know A LOT of fabrication would have to be done along with a lot of studying, but I have resources, meaning friends with lifts, a garage, that know how to do things that I don’t have the experience doing like welding and things like that. My reasoning for this is reliability with using a modern setup and I won’t need to worry about doing much engine work to get the power I want. It sounds stupid and definitely something somebody with little experience would post on a forum, but I’d really like anybody’s opinion, good or bad. I’d feel sad taking the originality from the car but it’s not like their super collectible or high in value either. I just don’t see a whole lot of potential with my L98 350
Old 02-01-2020, 08:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Found this for you, I haven't read it in detail but breezed over it and this should answer your questions.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-ls1-swap.html
Old 02-01-2020, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Probably be cheaper to find a C5 Vette. You can find used TPI upgrades out there.since most are going away from them now.
Old 02-01-2020, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 207 Likes on 166 Posts

Hello,

There are two truisms to swapping an LS motor and transmission.

1 - It will cost you more than rebuilding what you have.

2 - It will take you longer than rebuilding what you have.

Much for cost will depend on what LS motor you seek. The newer the motor you acquire will also increase the complexity. Think Active Fuel Management and Displacement On Demand. I avoided these problems by sticking with a Gen 3 motor.

So much to discuss here.

Rick
Old 02-01-2020, 06:20 PM

Thanks for the replies. I’ve decided to rebuild my current trans and go from there. My best option is to just buy a crate motor. I’m going to try and buy the one rated for 375-ish hp and I know it’s not a ton but it’s what I need. It’s not worth all the time and money to put an ls in my c4, so I’ll do a little bit of upgrades here and there to make it adequate for my driving style.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by C0RV3TT3
Thanks for the replies. I’ve decided to rebuild my current trans and go from there. My best option is to just buy a crate motor. I’m going to try and buy the one rated for 375-ish hp and I know it’s not a ton but it’s what I need. It’s not worth all the time and money to put an ls in my c4, so I’ll do a little bit of upgrades here and there to make it adequate for my driving style.
If you have an second vehicle to drive then i would ls swap if I were you. Thats if you have alot of time. They do have some swap kit parts for the c4 that will make your job easier. Won't feel good getting pulled on by a new Maxima or camry. If you don't care about getting pulled on by econoboxes then stick with what you have.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:34 PM

I do have a second car, my corvette won’t be drivable until I get my trans issue fixed anyway. I’m a full time student with a job to pay for the work my car would need, so I’ll probably sell my current car after winter to fix my corvette, and I should be able to have around 4K by late April roughly, but hopefully more. I’ve realized my issue is once I get enough money to afford an LS, it’ll be next fall until I’m even able to sort everything out and make the conversion working. It’s really frustrating for me because I see many later model c-4s for cheap that need a rebuilt motor, something I could handle and it is a lot of work but far less than completely changing my current one, and those are enough power for me. Kinda off topic I guess. but maybe I should rethink this entire thing. Now I’m thinking selling both my cars to get a later model with an lt-1that needs a rebuild. As you can see I’m an indecisive person so that’s why I need forums like this to help me think. IMPORTANT-Yes I realize this is an ls based forum and not a general Chevy forum so if this thread is not really aloud I’ll remove. Thanks for any and all help. Just want a running corvette is that too much to ask?
Old 02-02-2020, 05:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

For what you want, I would not waste the money on swapping a LS in there. Why do you think you need to rebuild the motor? Prolly all you need to do is a cam swap to wake things up. The same thing you would have to do to the LS. The Ls is not the end all do all motor like people are making them out to be. Plenty of guys out there kicking the **** out of them with SBC's. The trend right now is LS and the vendors are capitalizing on it by pushing it like its the greatest thing next to sliced bread. People fall for this crap all the time. I drank the Koolade as well. If your not a guy that will buy everything from the junk yard or want a Chinese motor. It is crazy expensive to build a LS motor. For example a friend of mine and I built identical cars for the strip. The only difference in the 2, are motors. He has a SBC and I have the LS. Both have Dart blocks, Callies Dragon Slayer cranks, Ultra H-Beam rods, Diamond pistons, and AFR heads. His is a 23 degree motor and ours is a 15 with the same compression. Both have TH400's and same gears and stall. Cars are within 10 lbs of each other. Same size and brand of tires. His is a 406 and ours is a 427. Both cars run dam near the same times. Its basically the driver that makes who wins when we race. Let me give you one guess who's motor cost more to build and it wasn't even close. Even if you didnt have a motor I would still suggest to build a SBC to save some money. I guarantee the money you will save not doing the swap you would be able to do wonders on what you already have. Big Time!!!! Best of Luck on whatever You decide.
Old 02-02-2020, 06:14 AM

I can’t imagine how much yours cost to build. The issue with mine and all L98 sbc’s are they have a ton low end power, but nothing up top. At least I’d NEED a whole new intake, an exhaust, then a cam and possibly re-do my heads. i have no clue on how much power that would add but I know it would cost quite a bit, but to be fair no matter if I keep my motor or buy a crate engine that will need to be done anyway. As for the rebuild part, I can bring it to a shop have them bore it .30 then get a 400 crank and new bearings then get a rebuild kit, along with the oversized pistons, and have a 383 stroker. I see kits for under 2k. Plus I want to do a rebuild the same time my Transmission gets rebuilt so I know everything is fresh.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Do you love your C4 Corvette? If the C4 doesn't have a lot of nostalgia and good times associated with the car its time to move on. The C4's has always been difficult to get in and out compared to C2/C3/C5/C6 and in my experience that makes the C4 one of the most unloveable of all corvette designs.

A friend got an estimated swap cost from a shop on a C4 a few years back and it was $10,000 vs doing a 3rd Gen Camaro was $7,000 at same shop. The shop said the extra $3,000 difference was in the labor and fab work required.

On the plus side an LS C4 makes a nice sleeper surprise.

I'd move on to a C5, its a better car in every regard.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I see LT1 cars out there for the same price as LS cars. I definitely would not buy a car needing a motor rebuild. You will have way too much money than what it will be worth. That's just me unless you are wanting a project. If you already have an extra car, keep it.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:26 AM

I see LT1 cars out there for the same price as LS cars. I definitely would not buy a car needing a motor rebuild. You will have way too much money than what it will be worth. That's just me unless you are wanting a project. If you already have an extra car, keep it.

i definitely agree with this. My issue is I don’t have a full time job because I still go to school, so really any other rwd v8 is way out of my budget. That’s why I chose the c4. Where I stand right now is pull the engine and transmission together, and send the transmission off to be rebuilt, and either tear my engine down during that time and take it to a shop to bore it then buy a 383 kit. But I think it would be smart to just get the transmission fixed and drive it for a bit and either sell my other car or save enough money to buy a crate motor.
Old 09-15-2022, 06:15 PM

Default 87 vette

Originally Posted by B52bombardier1
Hello,

There are two truisms to swapping an LS motor and transmission.

1 - It will cost you more than rebuilding what you have.

2 - It will take you longer than rebuilding what you have.

Much for cost will depend on what LS motor you seek. The newer the motor you acquire will also increase the complexity. Think Active Fuel Management and Displacement On Demand. I avoided these problems by sticking with a Gen 3 motor.

So much to discuss here.

Rick
Hey man would I be able to get my 87 vette to 700 HP putting a twin turbo in it and ls swapppng it?

Quick Reply: Should I consider LS swapping my c4 corvette as an affordable alternative?