General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

trying to figure out what i have LS and transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 06:10 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default trying to figure out what i have LS and transmission

getting ready to do a ls swap motor and trans just got dropped off. a nice forum user thinks its a LY6 from the #s i posted when i first seen the engine .now thats its here trying to see exactly what was dropped off and if its ideal for swapping into a old buick.trying to do the easiest ls swap for programming,ecm,drive by wire,i even read some need the tachometer from original vehicle.honestly IDK whats best for swaps.the engine block # 12578181 blow the head passenger side rear.im told its a 5.3 from the owner.on the side of block stamped L31 ,to the trans wich is bolted came with engine has a tag 8DCA ,24226651,YTO 7159,618DCAHB343428 engine,trans,ecm and harness all came together.just trying to figure out if what i have is ideal and easiest engine/trans swap for $$ and working.thank you thank you
Old 02-08-2020, 08:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Let google help you. Research the numbers posted here and then you can discuss suitability and specific swap information for your project.

It seems to me that it would be a 2008 LY6 engine and 6l80 transmission.
Old 02-08-2020, 11:11 AM
Teching In

thank you very much. you came up with 2008 ly6 6l80 thank you .so is that considered a gen 4 and is that a good setup for a conversion?.so i dont know if this is correct i have read gen 4 is not good for conversions because you have to have the drive by wire gas pedal and something about the tach from the instrument cluster .please let me know if thats true if anyone knows.i am just trying to figure out the best approach without going overboard.i would like to get a harness that i could put in that will control engine and trans so i could use both.and still trying to figure out who would be good to send the ecm out to for program and vats .thank you very much for the info/help
Old 02-08-2020, 07:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Whether this setup as-is is good for your project really depends on what you're looking for. I'm sure many would love to have this to swap into their project.

This would certainly be a gen 4 engine which would generally be considered superior.

I'm sure the harness ecm etc. is drive by wire. I don't think this is a negative. You would need the pedal assembly from a truck/suv and adapt it to fit your project.

I don't know about the tach but I'm sure that there is a way to get it done.

You could buy aftermarket standalone wiring and computer to use, many people just adapt the stock stuff to their purposes.

You are going to have to get serious about doing some research on this and drawing your own conclusions about what suits you, your project and your budget the best. Many people here will help but they are not going to do it for you. When it seems that you have done some work researching and have more specific questions, more people are likely to step up and respond to your posts.

Old 02-09-2020, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 214 Likes on 172 Posts

Can't speak for the old Buick but I'm glad you are bringing it back from the dead. But that 6L80E transmission might dictate some floor pan surgery to get it to fit underneath the Buick.

Rick
Old 02-09-2020, 11:07 AM
Teching In

thank you for the replys.i am planning on aftermarket harness was just seeing if anyone has used any and what might be preffered.i know the 6.0 is what people want but i have also read the gen 4 is the most spendy and difficult to adapt due to the drive by wire pedal and the (tach) wich i cant find why you have to have the tach/cluster for the gen4.thats why im asking questions.and yes B52 it is cool bringing some new life to a old collectable. and i have read several post that says tunnel gets cut out.then ive read several that says drops right in.so i will just have to fit it and see what way that goes.thank you very much

Quick Reply: trying to figure out what i have LS and transmission