General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Is this the end of car modding?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 398 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Mayday
That said, people who roll coal give the whole enthusiast community a bad name, so I can't say I'm upset about this verdict at all.
Yep, it was only a matter of time. Diesel engines spewing smoke is rather disgusting. Nobody wants that crap in their face.

Many years ago I bought a Duramax that had been modified. I was all excited about it, turned the tune up, and took off on a quick 0-60 mph run. But then I was horrified how much smoke I laid on the guy next to me. He was pissed too and let me know about it.

It wasn't long before I sold the truck. Just felt too wrong.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,435 Likes on 995 Posts

Diesel trucks are cool but Rolling Coal isn't.

The diesel bro's were obnoxious and attracted the wrong kind of attention. Zero surprise in how that turned out.

Pretty rude to do that to someone on a bike or walking or in a convertible etc that's behind you. Easy to understand why some folks got upset and made a stink.

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 03-21-2020 at 06:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Spamfritter (03-22-2020)
Old 03-22-2020, 09:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

As someone who's driven a diesel truck for years I've never understood it. I've never had a desire to roll coal and make my fuel economy even worse than it already was.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:13 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My car runs far cleaner than GM ever intended. But the LS swap is illegal in the opinion of California CARB..
My solution was to move to Nevada where vehicles older than 25 yrs can run classic vehicle plates and become smog check exempt.
I also drive a Ram CTD, I am leaving it stock and unmolested since Reno (washoe county) requires an annual smog check on it.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Spamfritter
As someone who's driven a diesel truck for years I've never understood it. I've never had a desire to roll coal and make my fuel economy even worse than it already was.
Because rolling coal is purely a political statement.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Rolling coal? Never heard of such a thing until I read this thread. But now that I finally know what its referring too the only thing that comes to my mind is "Those Mother Truckers!"
Old 03-25-2020, 08:27 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
Rolling coal? Never heard of such a thing until I read this thread. But now that I finally know what its referring too the only thing that comes to my mind is "Those Mother Truckers!"
I had coal rolled on me once. What did I do to be the target of anger from the pickup driver? I was driving a green Subaru Outback.
I would imagine a Toyota Prius is a constant victim of coal rolling.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 346 Likes on 238 Posts

There will always be car modding in one way, shape or form. Possibly many many MANY years down the line it may be more difficult to do some of the stuff a lot of us are accustom to ( no cats, big cubes, heads, cam, 5mpg ect.) but all these new clean vehicles coming out all seem to be small cube v6 and v8 engines with a single turbo or twin turbo making lots of power. I have a 2016 bmw x5 with a 3.0 i6 twin turbo and it weighs 5,000 lbs.....runs 14.5@97 mph. Quite impressive if ya ask me. So modding may be pushed even more into the direction of forced induction as in leaving everything as is emissions wise (if the government ever seriously clampes down like Cal) and adding bigger turbos, better intercoolers, e85 ect.
Just my pinion and thought.....

Rolling coal is for clowns.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 413 Likes on 293 Posts

Thanks to CARB most outfits wont even Sell or Ship parts to a CA adress any more. Compliant or not. Jegs was fined 17 million in 2018

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/news/nationwi...gal-auto-parts
Old 03-25-2020, 01:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Thanks to CARB most outfits wont even Sell or Ship parts to a CA adress any more. Compliant or not. Jegs was fined 17 million in 2018

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/news/nationwi...gal-auto-parts
This must be why the Summit Racing retail store in Sparks, NV is busy with customers driving cars with California plates.
Do you think they are smuggling go fast parts across the California border?
Old 03-25-2020, 02:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 346 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
this must be why the summit racing retail store in sparks, nv is busy with customers driving cars with california plates.
Do you think they are smuggling go fast parts across the california border?
Absolutely
Old 03-25-2020, 07:02 PM
11 Second Club

"Government"

This is supposed to be the United States of America not the divided states of America.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 142 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by landstuhltaylor
**** em. Those ******** got what they deserved.
Bingo! It's douchebags like these guys that got the EPA up the diesel aftermarket's *** in the first place. It's much harder for a guy to delete a DPF and EGR and get a tune for it now that doesn't roll coal in order to return fuel economy to where it should be and bump performance and throttle response.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:33 PM
11 Second Club

"Government"

This is supposed to be the United States of America not the divided states of America.
I see a moderator has stepped in and removed one of my comments. Was it my remark about how you can get something in one State but outlawed in another which points the finger at state and local governments? We all know who runs the big cities now don't we. There's some PC for ya and go ahead and delete this one too while your at it!
Old 04-01-2020, 04:38 PM
11 Second Club

BTW I know which one it was too.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:09 PM
11 Second Club

Truth hurts #%$&
Old 04-01-2020, 09:47 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,085 Posts

I see a moderator has stepped in and removed one of my comments. Was it my remark about how you can get something in one State but outlawed in another which points the finger at state and local governments? We all know who runs the big cities now don't we. There's some PC for ya and go ahead and delete this one too while your at it!
BTW I know which one it was too.
Truth hurts #%$&
I just reviewed the moderator log to see if this was true. There is no record of any edit/delete of your post since the moment it was posted, and there are only a small handful on this site who have access to do such without record. I can tell you up front that *I* most certainly did not edit or delete your comment (assuming you might think it was me based on the fact I'm the only Admin who has previously posted in this thread).

That said, if something *was* removed (is there any chance that you're confusing it with another thread?) by one of those very few individuals, then it was likely done to keep the thread from becoming too political. I realize that it's hard for politics not to be involved when it comes to laws that effect our hobby, but we do try to prevent useful, informative threads from running off a political cliff as much as possible - especially ones that could remain a healthy automotive based discussion if not for becoming overly polarizing with partisan politics.

Also, keep in mind that when political threads/statements are locked/removed it may not even be that the staff member in question personally disagrees with what was posted - it's just a matter of maintaining site rules and trying to remain as neutral as possible. In fact, I believe we had a conversation about this once before, when I was accused of certain political leanings (due to actions I took in a different thread) based on the state in which I reside (which is actually comical, as my personal beliefs couldn't really be further from what is considered "typical" for my state). But, in my many years on staff, I've been accused of biased actions from BOTH sides depending on the personal leanings of the party responsible for getting a given thread locked or removed - which is exactly what one would expect when remaining properly neutral on this policy.

I'm going to leave this open with the hope that any further derailment can be avoided, as this thread was doing fine before the recent unrest.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:40 PM
11 Second Club

There were posts regarding the Paul Walker crash that have also been removed. Your one of the moderator's on this thread and you have removed posts made by me in the past. If it wasn't you then my apologies but I don't feel that what I had to say deserved to be removed.

Truth Hurts and Sad but True!

What upset me most about it was leaving the comment about our country to make it look as though I'm upset with our federal government and maybe I am but that's not the reason I said that and for someone to leave that where it was in the thread made no sense to the discussion so whoever it was left that part to support their political views.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:07 PM
11 Second Club

RPM WS6
My comments about the Paul Walker crash was in a different thread so my apologies for bringing that up here!
Old 04-03-2020, 02:11 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,085 Posts

What upset me most about it was leaving the comment about our country to make it look as though I'm upset with our federal government and maybe I am but that's not the reason I said that and for someone to leave that where it was in the thread made no sense to the discussion so whoever it was left that part to support their political views.
I was definitely not the one to edit your comment, but I'd like to apologize on behalf of LS1Tech if it was edited in such a way as to appear supportive of an opposing political view. While we do sometimes delete a borderline post (or an entire encapsulated comment within a post) to keep a thread from ending up locked/removed, it should be done with neutral intent. I would never manipulate a post with the express purpose of supporting an opposing view, and I'd hope that it was just accidental on the part of whoever did the edit. Regardless, it's an unfortunate situation.
The following users liked this post:
JayplaySS (04-04-2020)

Quick Reply: Is this the end of car modding?