General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Not sure what to make of this...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not sure what to make of this...

So I traded an 01 mustang for a 99 auto SS w 129k miles two weeks ago. Engine was rebuilt 5k miles ago w all paperwork and everything. Super clean, otherwise stock besides a TSP cam and lifters and stuff from the rebuild. The kid I traded, was the same kid I bought the mustang from originally, he just really wanted it back. Like bad. He got the camaro from one of his buddies, and he offered to trade me straight up since he wanted his mustang back so bad. Literally had the camaro a day before we traded. Two weeks later he tells me this elaborate story that he found out from a source his “buddy” ran nitrous on it and after “heard a noise” on the motor and put thick *** oil in it and sold it to him, who traded it to me. He was over willing to trade back and would sell the camaro. I can’t tell if he just regrets the trade and is coming up with this story to get me to trade back, because he seemed kinda persistent. Or that it really is true. The motor sounds perfectly fine, pulls hard as hell. Not even a check engine light on. But if someone did put thick *** oil in it, would it mask a sound of a rod knock or spun bearing or something that well? Don’t know what to make of this situation lol.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:10 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,725 Likes on 1,237 Posts

How does the oil look? If they used something thick enough to mask a sound, something like motor honey/gear lube/etc., it should be noticeably thicker than usual on the dipstick when cold (this should also lead to rather high oil pressure readings unless the bearings were in really bad shape, but since it's a rebuild with upgrades it's also possible that any higher-than-normal OP readings could be the result of an oil pump upgrade).

Also, you could simply do an oil change and then you know exactly what's in it (and cut open the filter to inspect it), then see how it behaves and sounds. There is also the option of sending an oil sample in for analysis (to a place like Blackstone labs), but that obviously takes some time.

Quick Reply: Not sure what to make of this...