General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Question: Top End Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2020, 10:43 AM
Launching!

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Question: Top End Build

I got a quote for just a little under 6k for this build. I'll be honest, not doing it myself because I just simply don't have time and I'm not confident in my skills to do it properly. That being said...

The quote includes:
-BTR stage 2 cam, includes springs and push rods
-LS6 heads, stock not ported
-Trunion upgrade
-Injectors
-Head Bolts
-Oil change
-Tune

The guy I emailed said they usually don't do oil pump or timing chain unless higher mileage but if I wanted to do that it would be an additional $800 and would be a single roller chain.

My questions are this and I'm fine with paying to have it installed but do I need to do the oil pump and timing chain and is this over-priced considering I can buy the BTR stage 2 kit for $680ish and Stock LS6 heads for under $700 myself as well as get by with a mail order tune until I can see my guy on his dyno?

I have most of the prerequisites to doing head and cam, car has SLP Long tubes, LM2 exhaust, stock intake as far as I know but will probably pick up a FAST or LS6 intake.

Thanks for your opinions.

Old 08-09-2020, 10:09 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My opinion would be to find the time to do it yourself and with even not being confident in your skills to do it properly, the amount of information on this forum is amazing. I'm in the middle of my first LS build now and went from no confidence(i was talked into it by my brother) in doing it to now being almost done I'm happy I did it myself. I would think for 6k and doing it yourself you would get a lot more for your money and more peace of mind in the process.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:42 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,565 Likes on 2,191 Posts

Originally Posted by 1998 t/a
I got a quote for just a little under 6k for this build. I'll be honest, not doing it myself because I just simply don't have time and I'm not confident in my skills to do it properly. That being said...

The quote includes:
-BTR stage 2 cam, includes springs and push rods
-LS6 heads, stock not ported
-Trunion upgrade
-Injectors
-Head Bolts
-Oil change
-Tune

The guy I emailed said they usually don't do oil pump or timing chain unless higher mileage but if I wanted to do that it would be an additional $800 and would be a single roller chain.

My questions are this and I'm fine with paying to have it installed but do I need to do the oil pump and timing chain and is this over-priced considering I can buy the BTR stage 2 kit for $680ish and Stock LS6 heads for under $700 myself as well as get by with a mail order tune until I can see my guy on his dyno?

I have most of the prerequisites to doing head and cam, car has SLP Long tubes, LM2 exhaust, stock intake as far as I know but will probably pick up a FAST or LS6 intake.

Thanks for your opinions.
Items on your list can be had for $2600ish, and that’s ARP headbolts.
Items not on your list such as headgaskets, coolant, cleaners, towels, etc...that stuff adds up quickly, so let’s say $2900 total in parts from shop. That leaves the shop around $3k gross in profit. What is someone’s time worth to do all of this correctly? Shop will likely pay a tech, unless it’s a small one man operation, which could be a good thing, and it could be a bad thing. $800 for oil pump and timing set does seem high, but then again it’s a big pain to do a pump in the car due to o-ring, so maybe that’s fair? Again what is someone’s time worth? Shop has to make a profit at the end of the day after labor and parts, so what seems like a crazy high number at first might not be too excessively bad.
Another angle...guys on here will pop up and say “I’d do that for way less” or “I have a shop over here that will do it for less”...look at reviews. Piece of mind is priceless.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:15 AM
Launching!

Thank you for the input. I get it, doing it myself will save a ton of money but I'm not lying I do not have the time and I can read all the how-to's and **** but my mind does not work that way. I'm typically working 6-7 days a week and I don't want the car in pieces for multiple months. Garage is OK it's not heated and I live in the Midwest so come winter time I'm not going to be wrenching on the car too much.

I spoke to a buddy he does auto repair is pretty good, very successful at it. I asked him about a labor quote with oil change and coolant flush he said about $1400. I've gotten a quote on ported heads and a BTR cam kit for 1750 so I think I'm saving money.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:20 AM
Launching!

Obviously I'm searching for injectors, I think 36lbs should be OK for this setup, maybe someone can comment on that?

I will pick up an oil pump and timing set just to play it safe

Will have him mail the PCM to frost for a mail tune just so I can safely drive the car to my tuner.

The only other thing is maybe take the savings and throw that at a FAST 92 setup.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Obviously I'm searching for injectors, I think 36lbs should be OK for this setup, maybe someone can comment on that?

I will pick up an oil pump and timing set just to play it safe

Will have him mail the PCM to frost for a mail tune just so I can safely drive the car to my tuner.

The only other thing is maybe take the savings and throw that at a FAST 92 setup.
Take the savings and throw it at a Fast 102 setup for more power at nearly the same amount of cash.

36 lb injectors will be sufficient for your build, opt for 42 lb injectors since you can get them around the same cost (a tad over $300 for set of 8).

By the way, to save some dough, you aught to just send your PCM to your tuner and have them put a base tune on it so you can safely drive it to them. No reason to send it to someone else for a base tune only to spend more money than necessary. A lot of tuners will flash a base tune to your PCM for just a deposit down on a scheduled dyno/street tune. So it ends up costing nothing.

Last edited by R6cowboy; 08-13-2020 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
Take the savings and throw it at a Fast 102 setup for more power at nearly the same amount of cash.

36 lb injectors will be sufficient for your build, opt for 42 lb injectors since you can get them around the same cost (a tad over $300 for set of 8).

By the way, to save some dough, you aught to just send your PCM to your tuner and have them put a base tune on it so you can safely drive it to them. No reason to send it to someone else for a base tune only to spend more money than necessary. A lot of tuners will flash a base tune to your PCM for just a deposit down on a scheduled dyno/street tune. So it ends up costing nothing.
Poking around on Frost's website it looks like he can tune for a cam and heads. I will look at 42lb injectors see what I can find. It has always been my understanding that a FAST 92 is the biggest you can fit under the hood without cutting into the cowl, am I wrong?
Old 08-16-2020, 11:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Poking around on Frost's website it looks like he can tune for a cam and heads. I will look at 42lb injectors see what I can find. It has always been my understanding that a FAST 92 is the biggest you can fit under the hood without cutting into the cowl, am I wrong?
No sir, Fast 102 fits without cutting. The only reason I'd ever opt for a Fast 92 over a 102, even on a bone stock LS1, is if I got a smoking deal on a 92. Nothing wrong with a Fast 92, the 102 is simply a better performing intake.

Quick Reply: Question: Top End Build