General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

More Powa Baby!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 08:59 AM
Launching!

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Default More Powa Baby!

Getting ready to do my top end and just trying to get my ducks in a row. The car is off getting the transmission beefed up so will be tearing into the heads and cam by late September I think.

I do have a few questions about additional things to put on the care (see below).

A quick breakdown of what the car has already
-SLP headers
-SLP Loudmouth exhaust
-LS6 intake

To be added:
-BTR Stage 2 kit (includes springs and push rods)
-Ported 243 (I attached flow numbers on this as well)
-Fast 92 (not sure if a 102 will fit under the cowl, I do not want to hack that up)
-Mail-order tune, just to get me out of the shop safely and down to my dyno tuner in Columbus Ohio.
-Bigger injectors and fuel rails (need you opinions on what I should go with)

Questions:
-What kind of power will this make? I'm expecting like mid 400's but do not want to be let down
-Should I upgrade oil pump, if so high volume or high pressure?
-Timing upgrade as well? I think a single roller should be fine but I also don't know what the **** I'm talking about--just going based off of what I've seen others post.
-LS7 Lifters worth it or keep stock?
-I was told stock fuel pump with 36lb injectors will keep up with that cam, true?

Thanks in advance...

Old 08-16-2020, 11:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Stock oil pump will be fine, but a ported stock unit never hurt and is plenty of oil feed for a street car.
Replace the lifters when replacing the cam. LS7 lifters are the factory replacements for all LS engines, they're not the best but will be fine in your case.
Yes, replace the factory timing chain. At least upgrade to a LS2 timing chain, very inexpensive and much beefier than the factory LS1 chain.
Stock fuel pump might be ok, but also likely not or at its very limits. It would be in your best interest to upgrade the fuel pump and wiring with something like the Racetronix fuel pump kit, comes with a 255lph Walbro pump (iirc) and much better wiring than the subpar factory wiring (under $300).
Old 08-16-2020, 02:02 PM
Launching!

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
Stock oil pump will be fine, but a ported stock unit never hurt and is plenty of oil feed for a street car.
Replace the lifters when replacing the cam. LS7 lifters are the factory replacements for all LS engines, they're not the best but will be fine in your case.
Yes, replace the factory timing chain. At least upgrade to a LS2 timing chain, very inexpensive and much beefier than the factory LS1 chain.
Stock fuel pump might be ok, but also likely not or at its very limits. It would be in your best interest to upgrade the fuel pump and wiring with something like the Racetronix fuel pump kit, comes with a 255lph Walbro pump (iirc) and much better wiring than the subpar factory wiring (under $300).
Thanks for the input. I heard LS3 injectors should be direct replacement as well and will get me what I need in that department?
Old 08-17-2020, 09:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

LS3 injectors are 42lbs @58psi so they'd supply enough fuel for your application, but they would not be a direct replacement with LS1 injectors, LS3 injectors are shorter than LS1 injectors and use different style connectors (LS1 uses EV1 and LS3 uses EV6). You'll need adapters and harness to use LS3 style injectors. Or you could just have FIC (Fuel Injector Connection) resize your current factory injectors "up to" 55 lb for only $25 per injector, so $200 to get what you'll need and they'll be drop-in.

Quick Reply: More Powa Baby!