General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Thank You BMR Suspension Products, You saved my Exhaust System!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2020, 01:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Thank You BMR Suspension Products, You saved my Exhaust System!!!!!!

Back in 1999 when I bought my first LS1 Trans Am (bought a 1998 Black Automatic Coupe in 1999) and around 2000-2001 I purchased the BMR Suspension Trailing arms and the cross member with drive shaft Loop that bolts to the cross member in a group purchase. Well I never got around to installing the drive shaft loop on that car because I ended up selling it when I got my new boat. So I have had this drive shaft loop and cross member laying around for 18-19 years now and when I got my new B&B Quad Oval Exhaust Tips last week I went to install them and needed to bend the passenger side pipe a little bit to get the tip to look proper in the exhaust enclave in the rear bumper cover. Well I still need to do a tiny bit of persuasion to it but its mostly straight. Problem is, from "Manipulating" the pipes with a cheater bar we will call it, the entire exhaust system under the car settled lower than it already was. So I put the car up in the air again and was trying to figure out what to do, Loosen all the clamps, floor jack the pipes up to the underside of the car as high as they will go and re-tighten everything hoping it would hold itself up, well it did go up about 1 inch but still was sagging way too low and only had 2 1/2 inches of clearance (after lifting it up an inch or so)
So then I was looking around under the car and saw there on each side of the transmission there were 4 threaded bolt holes with nothing in them. Seems the goofy guy I bought the car from removed the sub Frame Connectors from under the car along with a slew of other parts because he could not sell the car for the high price tag he wanted initially. So selling the car for less but took off every part he could to sell and try to make up for the cars lower price tag left me with things I needed to go back and put back in that he removed. I will get to the sub-frame connectors at some point but they are not 100% necessary at the moment to drive the car, So anyway, I saw the mounting surfaces, and realized that is where the drive shaft loop goes. So I grabbed the cross brace off the wall where it has been hanging and used over the years as an airbrush test piece. I got 4 GM Fender bolts off the many cars over the years I have taken apart and restored and I flipped it upside down so the bend part was on the drivers side and this brace now holds my entire exhaust up high enough I don't scrap going in and out of my driveways lip to the street or driving around I don't scrape going over dips in the road and you hear the exhaust scrape really quickly as the car bounces and rebounds. Oh happy days are here again!!!! THANK you BMR you have saved my exhaust, my new B&B Tips look phenomenal and the new sequential turn signal/Brake / tail lights I wired in while I had the car up in the air,
I am THRILLED that now I don't have to worry about ripping the exhaust off the cars under side anymore, that BMR brace and drive shaft loop is made out of 1/4 inch plate steel so VERY thick, VERY durable and powder coated (and airbrushed with probably 8 or so layers of paint and clear coat as well)
I could not ask for a better solution to this problem.
Thank you BMR!!!

Next will be the Tick Polluter Stage 2 or 3 Cam and airbrush the clear front license plate cover I got to put custom color changing programmable LED's in it so the bird is lit up but the rest will be painted white to match the car so the bird will look super trick where I can program it to cycle like RED/WHITE/BLUE on the 4th of July, or Orange and purple at Halloween, Green Red for Xmas and that sort of thing.

Thank you JustinB51 for selling me the B&B Tips, They look FANTASTIC, I have wanted these tips for 20 years, and am So happy I finally have the look in the back of the car now. So thank you Justin as well.

And thank you all for everyone's help, You are always here to bounce ideas off of, provide advice, technical information on problems I might not run into often etc. I appreciate this forum, I would have tons of problems if I did not have this resource to go to and what might take me an hour now with this resource, might take 4-5-6 hours doing trial and error trying to figure out issues.
Included 3 photos, 2 of the exhaust and how much ground clearance I have now, and the one of the clear front license Plate Cover.........

BMR Drive Shaft Loop Cross Member Installed holding up exhaust system for lowered cars, this helps immensely

BMR Drive Shaft Loop Cross Member Installed holding up exhaust system for lowered cars, this helps immensely

Clear Front License Plate Cover $65.00 Will be painting inside of cover so only raised bird features will be clear to then put programmable color changing LED's behind it to illuminate the bird only with Theme Lighting, July 4th = Red/White/Blue color rotation Halloween = Orange/Purple Color Rotation Xmas-Red/Green color rotation ETC.

Jennifur
The following users liked this post:
Che70velle (11-09-2020)
Old 01-02-2021, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Can't really tell from the pics but you have something between the brace and the exhaust pipe that actually holds the pipe up? Doesn't that transmit noise into the interior? I've also tried different ways of keeping the 3" exhaust pipe higher against the underside, right now I have an extra hanger attached to the back seat belt bolt, but it's not really a good solution. I've also got a heavy cross brace for a driveshaft loop that could maybe support the pipe somehow.

Quick Reply: Thank You BMR Suspension Products, You saved my Exhaust System!!!!!!