General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Camshaft Question!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2021, 10:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft Question!

Hey guys I知 new to posting here but a long time reader. I did my first engine swap and it is in a 1994 K1500 short bed. The engine is out of a 2003 C5 that I purchased off eBay with 70k miles on it and I have it running in the truck. I知 in my early 20s and I知 very new to the LS world. My question is if this cam is stock or not. Attached is a video of it running. If it isn稚 stock would it be worth pulling to get specs off it for tuning purposes? I am running a terminator X from Holley and in the video the idle is roughly around 850 RPM with open headers and a little chunk of pipe behind the O2. Any feedback is appreciated and I thank you in advance!

I can稚 figure out how to attach the file of it running so here is the YouTube link.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j5e1nSSbBkE
Old 06-18-2021, 07:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 354 Likes on 241 Posts

There's no way anyone can tell if it's stock or not when you're running open headers (or even full exhaust but changing headers). And on top of that you're using an aftermarket control system which further muddies the water.

As an example, I was doing a test to determine the impact of the factory cat on a 4th GEN F-body. The engine was bone-stock other than a cold-air intake tube. I had the catalyst setup so that it could be unbolted. So basically it was the stock exhaust manifolds and just the y-pipe merge. I had planned to run a straight pipe in it's place, but could resist a track run as-is. On start-up it sounded like a Pro-Stocker. When I brought it to the line, and had a ton of on-lookers suddenly interested (this goes way back, so not a ton of these were running heavily modified), the idle chop was so aggressive. With low backpressure and being finely tuned for the setup, it's going to idle rough cammed or not. And on musclecar ls swaps with just headers and a complete free-flowing dual exhaust (the rest stock), it'll have a hint of lope on first start before they get tuned.

The only way to get an idea if it's at least not-stock, would be to measure lift. Would it help in tuning to know the full cam specs? Certainly. Someone who has experience can dial things in a lot more quickly having this data. It can also help figure out if the engine is performing as expected for that setup, or if something is wrong.

Old 06-18-2021, 08:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,356 Posts

It would be impossible to tell without pulling the timing cover to see what you have in terms of a timing set and then pull the cam in order to get any numbers that are stamped on it. Another step would be to pull the driver side cylinder head and install a degree wheel in order to get the No.1 up to TDC and then with a dial indicator to place on the camshaft lobes you could determine the valve events and lift of the cam.

Last edited by 01CamaroSSTx; 06-18-2021 at 08:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Camshaft Question!