General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Just some info about Hagerty. NOT for everyone.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 08:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 506 Likes on 365 Posts

Default Just some info about Hagerty. NOT for everyone.

First off, insurance is far too different in every state, plus there are many other factors to figure in, from age to credit scores to driving history. However if this helps anyone at all, I am glad to offer this info as I just saved nearly $100 plus have my Trans Am insured at an agreed $16,500 value if wrecked or stolen.
Here are the 3 key issues. Hagerty will not insure a daily driver. You must have a primary vehicle other than your Firebird. You must have a garage. The car can only be used for pleasure, not work.
If the above applies to anyone here, think about getting a quote from them or any classic car insurer. Regular coverage will probably not pay a fair price for our cars if you have a decent one. I know if mine was totaled, or whatever, I would have had to battle the insurance company for $10k (if lucky). Hagerty's current values/ prices as of yesterday June 17, 2021 on our Trans Ams are 1) Concourse $25,000: Excellent $21,000; Good $16,500. I am in that good condition category. Our Trans Am values have definitely risen in the classic car industries eyes. My policy is $273 for one year which means nothing to anyone else unless you are in your 60's and live in NC. Everyone will be different.
The following 2 users liked this post by NC01TA:
chevymec (06-20-2021), RedXray (06-18-2021)
Old 06-18-2021, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 209 Likes on 161 Posts

Yes, I use them for my 66' Mustang and thought about transferring my Camaro over as well since it's not a daily but I do race it lol.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Curious what you compared their prices against to save the $100. When i was shopping insurance, I found Grundy was the lowest cost and had a great reputation, but I haven't price shopped for that insurance in almost a decade, still have Grundy.
Old 06-18-2021, 01:54 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

I am also a Grundy customer, and have been for nearly 15 years. The restrictions and qualifications are generally similar to Hagerty or any other agreed value collector policy. I've found them to be a better deal than Hagerty, for me, every time that I've done a price quote just to check over the years. FWIW, I have a local friend who has filed at least two claims with Grundy in the last ~5 years or so (same car, which met all requirements), and they took care of him with no issues at all. So I trust them even though they are cheaper.

And Grundy (can't remember if Hagerty is the same on this) uses a different price scale for cars that are 25 years and older, for example my '71 is covered for significantly more but actually costs less, so the LS1 4th gens should soon be even cheaper to insure than currently (at least with that company).
Old 06-18-2021, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 209 Likes on 161 Posts

I have a friend that's grandfathered in with Grundy. Unfortunately Grundy doesn't offer new policies in Louisiana due to the large floods we've had in recent times.
Old 06-18-2021, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 196 Likes on 157 Posts

Hello,

Here in Louisiana, I'm paying $383.51 a year with American Collectors insurance for a $25,000 agreed value on my 70 Chevy El Camino. I could go cheaper for a policy that is more strict on using my EC for occasional drives to work but that $383 price is fine by me. Standard clauses apply - gotta' have a locked garage and it can't be your daily driver, etc.

Rick
Old 06-18-2021, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

I have Hargerty insurance about $350 per year for a car that is not a Daily Driver same as above - more important is that not being a commuter car / DD in Arizona I do not have to do Emmision testing. I have a tune and no check engine light which is nice - Also Long tube headers into a 3 inch Y pipe back to a Maganaflow resonator and muffler.
No CC, No Air pump

Cheap insurance, more power, no Emission robbing BS

Life is Good!!!
The following users liked this post:
RedXray (06-19-2021)
Old 06-18-2021, 11:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I have hagerty on my Hawk, 44k no appraisal (3.5x more than normal insurance ) stated value, we pay a lot more in Ca @ $1200 a year but that was roughly half of what a normal insurance company would charge me.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 506 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by srode1
Curious what you compared their prices against to save the $100. When i was shopping insurance, I found Grundy was the lowest cost and had a great reputation, but I haven't price shopped for that insurance in almost a decade, still have Grundy.
That $100 savings was from my regular GEICO insurance where I have my home and other cars insured. Nice discounts applied too, like being old, multiple cars, etc.. yet Hagerty was still cheaper.
I didn't shop the collector insurance companies as I thought the $273 per year was very fair with the $16,500 agreed valuation. I had Hagerty and was familiar with them in the past for two other collector cars I owned (a '74 Matador X and '87 Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe).
Old 06-20-2021, 12:13 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Hagerty is more liberal than the typical collector car policies, in that they let you drive it to work occasionally along with other occasional uses - like stopping at a store for instance. But they charge more for that reason.

Yet they are stricter about driving records. For the more liberal usage, I contacted them about insuring my G8 and second Firebird. They turned me down because of accidents and claims related to my wife - even though I was to be the only insured driver of these cars. My American Modern classic car insurance didn't quibble about that, though she is listed as a driver on that policy.

Quick Reply: Just some info about Hagerty. NOT for everyone.